Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Introduction and first BGE cook

Options
After stalking this forum for a few days now, I want to officially say hello and report on my first cook.  I am amazed at the amount of useful information here and the willingness of the members to share.  It seems to be a great group of people and I look forward to participating.

I received my first BGE (an XL) last week just in time for the long holiday weekend.  For the inaugural cook on Saturday, I did a 6 lb. pork butt for PP.  Thanks to all the helpful tips by you guys, it turned out great.  

The day before, I let it set for about 3hrs with just a light coating of salt, then rubbed with veg. oil and Memphis Dust.  I put it on at 6am with a pretty steady 275F dome temp.  There is a bit of a learning curve to figure out how much to adjust and how long to wait for the result.  I cooked straight through to around 198F IT on remote probe, pulled it off and covered loosely with foil for a few minutes.  The instant read was showing between 200F and 203F IT.   It pulled great and had the perfect bark for my taste.  Tons of flavor through out.

To make sure it happened, my wife capturing some photos.

Franklin, TN   -   XL BGE, iGrill2, Woo2

Comments