Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker Rain Protection

Options
LDR
LDR Posts: 414
I've still got to work out the blower protection, but was wondering...

Should I be worried about heat build-up inside the container?  The left-hand assembly is 1.5" and the right-hand is 1"
The box is 15x12x9.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I plan on buying a computer/electronics fan for my box. Better safe than sorry. 
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    @trout1 has a similar setup. It seems to work well 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I'd maybe raise the box on some little legs and then use the CPU fan to suck air in thru the wire outlets and out thru the bottom of the box to minimize possible water infiltration from the fan sucking air in directly from outside.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @DoubleEgger cooling fan would be nice during the inferno summer. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    I would think 1 fan on the backside drawing air through the PVC and over the controller would be pretty sufficient. Nice setup!
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Now that summer is here, I've notice my DigiQ heating up enough to cause me some concern.  The case was less than 140 degrees (140 degrees is too hot to hold), but still not a good trend.  Wasn't raining, so I left the cover open and draped a towel over the assembly to solve the problem.

One of the AZ eggheads talked about putting his in a cooler during the summer months.

Interested in what you come up with.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    oooohhhhhh  Another use for Dry Ice!!!!!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Is heat unique to the stokers?  I've never noticed my flameboss getting hot and I have a much smaller case.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Adrock
    Adrock Posts: 93
    Options
    i have mine in a much smaller box and heat hasnt been an issue.  I would expect if you need the rain shell - its because it's raining and not sitting under a raging sun and getting too hot?!?!?
    Victoria, MN
  • LDR
    Options
    I think I'll have to do some trial runs.  Maybe I'll leave a probe in the box and see how high it gets on StokerLog.  If it gets too hot, I might run a 5 cfm blower off the stoker.

• LDR
    edited May 2015
    Options
    For that to work, I'd have to have another probe though, wouldn't I, to pair it with?

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    LDR said:
    For that to work, I'd have to have another probe though, wouldn't I, to pair it with?

I believe so
  • trout1
    trout1 Posts: 104
    Options
    I have a similar setup for my Stoker. I have one opening in the front and one in the back, since I can plug wires into the front and back of the Stoker. I cut a slit down the side of a plastic cup to slide onto the fan for protection. I haven't had to use it yet. You could do the same with a tin can. I had mine in the box Monday while I was using my LBGE, because of the threat of rain (it didn't rain during the cook). After my rib cook, I took the top off to disconnect everything and to put everything in the box for storage. I touched the Stoker and it was very hot. That has me concerned also. I think that I will just leave the lid off until it actually starts to rain.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    LDR said:

If you built a Y-adapter, then you should be able to run the egg fan and the "box" fan together.  Although the "box" fan won't be running all the time, it should give enough airflow to keep the box cool.  10% run time with a 5cfm fan would probably exchange the air in the box once every minute or so.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    We haven't had rain in a few years- no worries here
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    • Check the operating temperature on the unit.
    • Run it in the box with your grate thermometer in there and see how hot the box gets!
    • If the temp in the box exceeds the specs, buy a fan.   ;)

They should be rated to handle pretty  high temps as they are working in proximity of a heat source, but in a clear box out in the sun...that sucker can get hot.  Also, even if you are within specs of the unit, it still stresses the electronics if you run it on the high end of the temp specs.  Increases the chance of you encountering part failures down the road.  I'm sure it'll work fine without a fan, but including a fan can only help.

There are a lot of options out there you can get cheap.  Here's one;
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009OXTWZI?psc=1

LBGE/Maryland
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @KiterTodd ... 23cfm might be a little high for the small boxes that most of us have.  But, I like the 120 volt option.

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    I'm thinking more along the line of something I can power with a 9v battery....

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    If its nice out open the box.  If its raining I think the fan blowing rain in would be bad.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Jeepster47
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac ... That's why a low cfm fan would be ideal.  Configure the fan to blow the air out.  Then the down turn of the inlet tube would keep the rain out ... not the moisture true, but at least the rain.

Or a variable speed fan that is temp controlled -  configured opposite of the egg blower - more air flow when the temp goes up inside the box.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Stoker for the stoker.  I think you gents are over thinking this.  Mount your power supply outside the box in a ziploc bag.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac ... it wasn't the power supply that was heating up the box.  The DigiQ was much warmer than the air inside the box.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 2015
    Options
     Thats a headache for sure.  Good luck guys.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    I noticed most folks have a separate conduit for their power cord and probe wires. Any reason for that? Should I be concerned about interference? I'm about to build a rain box and was thinking I'd just run everything through one pvc conduit. Is that ok? @LDR, @trout1, @DoubleEgger , others - thoughts?  

Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    One is fine. I put two in "just because" I've got two eggs and put the box between them...... I used 22.5 degree fittings so it would be easier to push a probe plug or electrical core plug through the hole. 
  • bweekes
    Options
    One is fine. I put two in "just because" I've got two eggs and put the box between them...... I used 22.5 degree fittings so it would be easier to push a probe plug or electrical core plug through the hole. 
    Thanks @DoubleEgger - will proceed w/ one conduit for all wires. Not having received the stoker yet, wondering if someone can show me a pic of how they protect the blower with a plastic cup? I understand cutting the bottom out, but not sure I understand the slit. Anyone employ this crude approach to protecting their fan? 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Not a cup but a fairly crude rain cover 

• bweekes
    Options
    Not a cup but a fairly crude rain cover 

Crude? That's high tech! Way too high tech for me anyway. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Those blowers are expensive! I wanted to ensure I had protection. It's pretty easy to make if you've got a pair of tin snips. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I posted something similar in another thread already, but here's a simple way to do the fan for the box. You need a 12v computer fan. Personally, I'd probably go with a squirrel cage fan because it would have a smaller hole to cut, but a regular computer fan should mount easier.
    Squirrel cage fan (same type of fan the Stoker uses). You'll probably have to silicone it in place.
    http://www.amazon.com/Brushless-Cooling-HT-07530D12-75x75x30mm-Computer/dp/B00B2ARV22/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433097489&sr=1-14&keywords=computer+fan
    Computer fan. This doesn't show the dB rating (how quiet it is) or the CFM (how much air it moves), but this is just to give you an idea
    http://www.amazon.com/90mm-25mm-Cooling-Computer-Cooler/dp/B007PPEQI0/ref=pd_sim_147_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1C7XJCJ3BFAV4VBW6N66
    This computer fan is apparently pretty quiet and moves a lot of air (28cfm). You can make it quieter (and less air) by dropping the wall wart voltage to a 9v power supply.
    http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Bearing-Cooling-Computer/dp/B002R9RBO0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433098341&sr=1-1&keywords=computer+fan
    Then you need a 12v wall wart power supply for the fan
    http://www.amazon.com/JACKYLED-Switching-Power-Supply-Adapter/dp/B006NTNGN0/ref=pd_sim_23_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=17TRP29ZR9TEAG41D19S
    And then you need a splitter for the 110v extension cord so you can plug in both wall warts. You know what a wall plug splitter is. Surge strip would be a great option to protect the Stoker.
    This should fit both AND you can charge your cell phone (if you wanted to).
    http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector-Charging/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433098100&sr=1-10&keywords=110+v+splitter

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.