Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alternative Fire Grate for Large

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
I have no idea what the price of a replacement cast iron grate from BGE is, but here are the alternatives I know of...

High Que, $32.88 
https://www.high-que.com/Stainless-High-Heat-Charcoal-Fire-Grate-Upgrade-for-Large-Big-Green-Egg-Grill--9-dia_p_19.html

Fishbones (Smokeware) $27.95
http://smokeware.net/Fishbones_Charcoal_Grate/

Weber Smokey Joe Charcoal Grate (Amazon), $6.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WU7PWO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Even from Weber direct, they're under $10.

I haven't used it yet, but today, I did a test fit and the Weber basically sits right above the OEM grate. As in, resting on the OEM. With the Weber, you might lose 1/8-1/4" of vertical space. They look just like the High-Que product though I suspect the HQ uses a slightly heavier gauge rod.

Will their mild steel hold up as long as the stainless products? I don't know, but Weber's been getting along with them since the beginning of time!

I'll probably try the one from my Smokey Joe to see how I like it before I buy one. Don't really need it yet, was just bored today and fiddling with the egg. I assume I will have to learn new vent settings with the improved airflow.

Anyway, just wanted to throw this out there and to see if anyone else had tried the Weber.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    The Weber will not hold up. I know from experience. I have had the Hi Que for a few years and it still looks new. I recommend that. Haven't heard of the other one. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I know someone who used the weber and it did not last long. My high que has been going for 4 years without issue 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Got one of these for the medium.  Not sure about durability though.  
    $_57.JPG 358.4K
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Interesting comments. I have a 22.5" kettle from the late 80s (I think) and I don't recall ever replacing the fire grate. Must have I guess, because though it's quite rusty, it's not sagging at all. Wire gauge looks a bit thicker than the one on the Joe though.

It was just a thought. I'll probably try the one out of my Joe just to see if I like the extra airflow. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have the Fishbones version for the Large BGE and it works great in my Small BGE.lol
    It cuts down on the amount of lump space but gives better air flow. I have the High Que sized for the Small but the larger one works better.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I have the Fishbones version for the Large BGE and it works great in my Small BGE.lol
    It cuts down on the amount of lump space but gives better air flow. I have the High Que sized for the Small but the larger one works better.
    Hmmm, maybe that's the answer to the complaints about getting high temps with the small. Turn your small into a mini max! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Well that's pretty simple - I like it.   This would allow for the same airflow as the hiq, but wouldn't let as many small pieces slip through.  

How long that will last will depend on the gauge and type of metal.  I'm going to cut one of these out of heavy gauge stainless when I get my egg.  Thanks for the idea.
    Phoenix 
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    I use my KAB w/o the grate.  It's great!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I think my High-Que is 3-4 years old, no issues.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Forgot about that one, but at $60 for the large, it's not gonna happen here! 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    @Photo Egg  I can confirm that those other brands do NOT fit properly. I bought a KJ and it's too tight for comfort, couldn't even get it to sit in there level.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    @Photo Egg  I can confirm that those other brands do NOT fit properly. I bought a KJ and it's too tight for comfort, couldn't even get it to sit in there level.
    I guess variations in ceramics and molding.
    I ordered 2 jr boxes and both fit my Small BGEs. I have 2 Small Eggs.
    Since then I have picked up 2 complete KJ jr grills and checked the firebox size in my Small BGEs and they fit great. They do fit closer than the stock BGE box but I felt there was enough room for expansion. A palm sander around the outside of the jr firebox would be an easy way to give it some more room.
    I'm sorry yours did not work. The larger firebox in the Small really makes it a nice cooker.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options

Forgot about that one, but at $60 for the large, it's not gonna happen here! 
    If you think the KAB is expensive...wait till you se the new one sold by High Que...it's very nice but will be priced at $100+
    They were introducing it at the Georgia Mountain Fest.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

If you think the KAB is expensive...wait till you se the new one sold by High Que...it's very nice but will be priced at $100+
    Pictures? Description? Website page?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Pictures? Description? Website page?
    Sorry, I don't have a photos but I can take some and post later.
    It uses what appears to be a standard High Que grate as the base. It has solid stainless side walls with laser cut vent holes for airflow. Also has a center divider piece that can be inserted to limit lump use and create dual zone in Egg.
    I really did not think the Large BGE would be big enough to take advantage of  dual zone heat. Got to play with the demo set up in Georgia and it works very well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Photo Egg ... thanks for the response.  Yes, I'd like to see photos ... sounds like you have one. 

• Jeepster47
    Options
    Thanks ... do stay safe ... the news pics would make one want to drag out the plans for an ark.

• kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Options
    I use a stainless steel kick ash basket on a large egg, good air flow gets up to temp quick.
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Love the Hi Que grate. Far better temp control with it. Seems to be holding up great even with high heat, but I have had it for less then a year.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Photo Egg
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Photo Egg ... thanks for the response.  Yes, I'd like to see photos ... sounds like you have one. 
    Looks like the lower lump grate is thinner material compared to their stand alone High Que grates. I did not pull my grate out of my Small to compare. Just from my old mind.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Thanks for the photos.  Looks like they've put a lot of thought into the basket.  The dual zone heating adds some cost to the unit ... but, if one can use it, that would be nice.  I'm not a Weber transferee, so don't have any experience with it's advantages.

Looks like the sides are about an inch higher than the KAB ... my basket is 4~4.25 inches high.  That would be nice.  Speaking of sides, the unit must rest on the molded in grate stops ... otherwise the solid sides would block the vent holes.

Wonder if they'll come out with a simpler model ...

Again thanks for taking the photos.

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Wow, they took something thats very simple and works well and hi tech'd it up.  :o
  • Downr@nge
    Downr@nge Posts: 83
    Options

Do you know of anyone that makes a cooking grate like this for the XL?
    XL Big Green  Egg 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Downr@nge said:

I don't think a cooking grate made from this material could span the 24" cooking area of the XL and suport food.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    Options
    Very pleased with Hi-Ques on my large and small BGE.  Hold up very well with no issues.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Downr@nge said:

I don't think a cooking grate made from this material could span the 24" cooking area of the XL and suport food.

We were the original ones to manufacturer the expanded stainless steel grate......sold about 500 of them from the time I started tracking it.  Bunch of people started making them out of regular steel and putting them on eBay, so we had no desire to compete with that.  Last time I looked there are only 1-2 people left of the 6-7 that tried to produce them.  I sold out right as their price war started.  I guess the others finally did the math.

We never made one for the XL for that reason, and the fact that it would be ungodly expensive to produce and ship.

Someone did make one and they doubled it up, then tack welded it together.  Kind of a ridiculous amount of money for something sitting in the depths of BGE.  When people would ask about it, I would just tell them to get a Weber grate and replace it after a few years.  I've been running mine for 5 years--no problems.  If you have smaller chunk charcoal, you may need two and cross hatch them.  For $8.97 a grate, it's hard to spend $100+ on one.

As far as a cooking surface goes, I have this same material in my Rebel.  It's durable, but it's tough to clean.  Also, it's going to be tough to lift it out due to the weight and lack of the grill lifting tool.  The edges on these things were razor sharp too--can't tell you how much blood I lost when I was cutting them myself in the early days.  Long story short, I'd stick with the stock or CGS stainless cooking grate.

• Downr@nge
    Downr@nge Posts: 83
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I want something along the lines of what they use in big offset cooking grates.  Something like this with the handles too.  I'd buy one yesterday!

XL Big Green  Egg 
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I have the fish bones in my large and it works very well.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio