Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memories of my Dad,Memorial day butt, and ABT's.

Options
anton
anton Posts: 1,813
Thinking about my dad today, a veteran, war hero, egg/ kamado/ hibachi lover, and possibly the most interesting man in the world, the Dos Equis guy has nothing on him. First and foremost, let's remember what today is all about, and give reverence.

Secondly, I did this butt with Plowboys Yardbird. Raised indirect with dry drip pan at 275F. Took 9 1/2 hrs, poured a little apple cider vinegar, and natural apple cider  50/50 mix on pulled meat afterwords. It was fantastic.

Abt's were fresh crab meat, mixed with cream cheese and DP Swamp Venom, jalapenos were cored and de-seeded very well.Egged for 45 minutes at 325F on a popper rack.
All turned out delicious, sorry got too busy with company for the plated shots.
 Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    With all respect to your Dad.  A Real Hero!!!  With all respect to your Mom who allowed him to be that Hero.  Happy Memorial Day.  Thanks to your Dad!!  My hero too!  Eat well my friend.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Sounds like a kick ass guy!!!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Salute to your Dad!  Awesome cook!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Enjoy the memories my friend. Spent the day thinking of my Grandfather. He served in both WWII and the KW. On a separate note, great looking grub. Solid cook.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• corb69
    corb69 Posts: 155
    Options
    Looks good!!!  Thankful for your dad and many others.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,625
    Options
    Great post, great food.  Thanks for sharing that Anton.
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options

Great post and great cook.  Both are a great tribute to your father!

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Cheers to you and your father and all the others who have served. Freedom is not Free and we are all lucky to have those who stand in harms way. Cook looks amazing! All the best,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Thanks to your dad and all the veterans who put themselves in harms way for our country and all of us.  May he rest in peace, and know that his son remembers him so fondly and proudly!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Thanks for posting.  It's always good to remember this isn't just another hallmark holiday.  

Respect to your Dad.

Phoenix 
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words, my pops was a Yugoslav immigrant who fought for us in ww2, Korea, and flew our Vietnam soldiers home, he got his citizenship, then after the war became a commercial airline pilot, father, and all around cool guy, I lost him last june. My father had the "ancient type" Kamados ever since I can remember, he got them and imported them from Japan, before Pachinko Palace Hibachi, started to sell in U.S. He loved to egg.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "