Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork ---Before and After?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ready to undertake my first pulled pork experience. Do I rub or marinate in advance? Any sauce to apply afterwards? Serving ideas?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    PP
    <p />Bud Jones,
    I always rub or marinate in advance. Good recipes for rubs in the recipe section. Also many good sauce recipes there too...make sure to check "New Recipes", as that is where most recipes are. JJ's dipping sauce is great with pulled pork, as are James Sauce, Cat's "Jimsberry" sauce, and Gfw's no-cook sauce I have been wanting to try. [p]One way to serve is to pull all the pork into shreds, while discarding the larger chunks of fat. Do it with 2 forks, or neoprene gloves (as MikeO did at the Eggfest). This is the most often used method of serving. [p]When I served to a bunch of guys last year, I just layed out the 3 whole butts on cutting boards, and let the guys rip into them, and serve up what they needed.[p]Best of luck. It is a bunch of fun...and it is really hard to screw it up!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Bud Jones,[p]I generally rub my butt the night before I cook. I also put some spices on the pork as well. (I couldnt resist that one, dont know why)[p]Seriously, I put a generous coating of rub on the pork the night before I plan on cooking it. If its a big butt, I try to keep the rub on it for about 24 hours, then cook away. I dont do anything during the cook at all, let the rub do the work, and it always does.[p]I cook indirect over a drip pan for about 2-3 hours a pound at about 200-225. Internal will be about 180 when its done.[p]I shread it, put some sauce on it and put it on buns and stand back as the vultures hit this stuff pretty quick and hard around sprinters house. Some put some slaw on the buns with the pork, I like mine on the side.[p]Good luck, as NB said, its tough to screw it up, you just need some patience during the process. I've found that a cold beer helps, usually a few, and you'll be rewarded with some pretty good eats.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Them sure is purdy butts NB, nice pics.[p]Troy

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Bud Jones,[p] Yes, rub it beforehand. I rub it about 24-36 hours before cooking and wrap it very tightly in plastic wrap, then refrigerate. I like to get a small fire going in the BGE and and start the butt/picnic roast at 150 over heavy smoke I place wood chips directly onto the fire in the middle of the BGE, and place a few chunks farther out on the lump pile to burn later). I let the temp work its way up and cook at about 225F over a drip pan. I usualy end up finishing the cook at about 275-300F for a couple hours. Next time I'll probably try cooking at a little higher temp for the whoole cook as people on the forum have suggested (not that I'm not extremely satisfied witht the results I'm getting now, mind you -- I just like to eggsperiment). After it reaches about 185 internal (and I do a fork check for pullability), I like to take it off the BGE and place it in foil (Reynolds Hot Bags are ideal for this) with the juices from the drip pan for about an hour. I pull with Neoprene firefighter's gloves and usually serve with potato rolls, coleslaw and two sauces, a honey-mustard sauce and a vinegar-pepper sauce. I'm not a big fan of the tomatoey sauces with my PP.[p]MikeO