Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Having 2nd thoughts.

Options
13»

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    henapple said:
    Seems to me that the op is merely having buyers remorse. He sounded happy with his meals.
    The main to me about the egg is versatility. If you are going to a gas grill, a good one will cost as much or more than the egg.
    Just trying to get free beer if he's in Michigan.
    I think it's a great idea
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • mjk412
    mjk412 Posts: 113
    Options
    Sundown said:
    For heaves sake you guy!! Someone figure out where this guy lives and visit him/invite him over and help him out!!

It's as much you obligation as it is your duty as an Egghead to do this.
    I live in Pittsburgh pa.  
  • mjk412
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    @theyolksonyou I'm not saying it doesn't, and I  get @Acn's point. . I meant you won't see me cooking fettuccine alfredo on my egg just because it's possible to do so. 
    try smoking just the cooked elbow noodles and make a chili mac casserole finished in the oven, surprisingly good =) smoke the noodles in a spaghetti strainer ;)
    How do you smoke noodles?  I'm making spaghetti today. 
  • DCahill
    DCahill Posts: 23
    Options
    Definitely pricey, but sooo worth it IMHO.

One thing I had to do based on cost alone is to hold off on the accessories to begin with.  
    Western Springs, IL    Large BGE
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @mjk412   Congratulations on your BGE purchase and welcome to the forum.  You recognize that there is a learning curve with your new egg. This forum is a great resource in helping to understand how to use the egg to its best.  Read back through old posts on the subjects that interest you and then ask specific questions. Lots of knowledgeable, helpful people on this forum.

As to your buyers remorse concern about having just dropped a bunch of coin for your new egg, just relax and have faith in yourself that you made a good decision - stop second guessing yourself.  The money is already spent - it's not going back into your checking account. The egg will last a long time. In the long haul, it will actually save you money.  Let's assume that the alternative to the egg is to use a Weber Kettle / Weber Smokey Mountain / Blackstone Pizza Oven as your outdoor cooking devices (no gasser or offset stick burner). They will not last a lifetime and will need to be replaced several times. You just saved at least $2500 in equipment replacement costs by buying the egg. The egg will also save you in fuel costs - say $5000 in the long haul.  That's a total savings of $7500 by buying the egg. SEE - feel good about the purchase and how much money you just saved yourself!!!   Yes, I made lots of assumptions about equipment cost, replacement frequency, fuel use, and years of use but the numbers are in the ball park. Point is, quality things that last a long time cost more up front but are quite economical in the long term.

Time to focus on cooking.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options
    You must always cook to temperature. Before the egg, all cooks were done when they looked done. I would do steaks for example until they had what I thought was a nice char. I would then take them inside, throw them on a plate and cut into them. If they were grey inside, they were over done and we sucked it up and choked them down. Sometimes they were still kind of raw inside so back out to cook them longer while the rest of the meal got cold. Bring them back inside, cut into them again and find them grey again"S.O.B" After getting the egg and researching here and amazing ribs dot com and naked whiz, I figured out that I needed to get me an instant read thermometer a.k.a. Thermapen and now when I do a steak, they are done to a perfect 128 degrees internal temp every time and have never looked back. A very simple boneless, skinless chicken breast can be accomplished by dipping in a slightly beaten egg followed by a dip in seasoned breadcrumbs (I use about a cup of bread crumbs combined with approximately 1/2 teaspoon each of Parsley sage rosemary and thyme, pour some on a plate and dip your chicken in. Keep the rest for another time depend on how many you are doing.) Cook indirect until the internal temp is 160. Perfect every time and juicy as hell. The temperature is the key my friend.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    mjk412 said:
    BYS1981 said:
    @theyolksonyou I'm not saying it doesn't, and I  get @Acn's point. . I meant you won't see me cooking fettuccine alfredo on my egg just because it's possible to do so. 
    try smoking just the cooked elbow noodles and make a chili mac casserole finished in the oven, surprisingly good =) smoke the noodles in a spaghetti strainer ;)

ive used one of these, boil pasta til almost done, in smoker in the colander with smoke, then mixed into a heavey style meat sauce like chili and tomatoes, something heavey enough that you can coat with a porkbutt rub, then bake as a casserole and add cheese as it cooks. not your average spaghetti. the elbow macaroni starts to dry out as you smoke it but add more liquid to the sauce when assembling the casserole. one of the things you can not do with a kettle is raised direct cooking, you need to modify your rack system to get it highr than the felt
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    scroll down on this post, theres a macaroni dish
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1115088/you-might-be-an-eggneck-if/p2

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Spydermunky
    Spydermunky Posts: 75
    Options
    mjk412 said:
    Stemc33,
    thats funny because my wife is not impressed either. I told her I want to make meatloaf on the egg. And she started grumbling about it. Haha. 
    My wife lost her sh*t when I bought my medium egg.  After about a month she was annoyed because "I don't want smokey food every night"...  After about 6 months she changed her tune, and was actually the one who suggested I upgrade to a large.  And last week she asked if I wanted a Mini Max.

My suggestion (not worth much) is to experiment with foods that benefit the most from cooking on the egg.  My wife's favorite is lasagna, and my neighbors are always asking me to make biscuits on it.  Any idiot can throw a burger on a grate, but learning to capitalize on the wood fired element of the egg is what will make it invaluable to you and your wife.
    Large Green Egg

Kansas City, KS
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    mjk412 said:
    BYS1981 said:
    Actually cooking the meatballs on the egg and maybe some veggies and then adding to spaghetti is really good.   I would just make the noodles on a pot on the stove, but you will get plenty of flavor from the meat and veggies.   

I wouldn't go heavy on the smoke and I would cook 350-400.  Give the egg plenty of time to stabilize, use no extra wood or just a handful of cherry.  Cook meatballs just until 140-150 IT and then add them to a pot of sauce to let them simmer for a while.  The pot of sauce will get some fire roasted flavor.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    +1 on a thermapen! It's a must!!
    GWN
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    The turning point was the point that I paid for it and took delivery. After that it's time to enjoy. You already missed the point of no return.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This may have been posted already but you can dry out food on any type of grill and this certainly includes the Egg.  If you have bad tasting food it simply means you are not doing it right.  As for your buyer's remorse, not sure we can help you there much...that is just on you.  I will say that you spent a lot of money and if you learn to use the Egg properly, you will have made a wise investment over the long haul.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    Options

I can second a lot of what's been said already. when I was newly married and we built a new house, we bought an $800 (1990 dollars!) gas grill. I didn't mind the price, as we had the scratch, but I really thought we hadcrossed the line into yuppiedom!

12 years ago I paid $600 for my large...If you amortize that out, pretty good deal! I now have three, and most of my friends have one too because of the cooks that came off of it!

The best advice is to cook to TEMP, not time or appearance. If a Thermo-pen is too expensive, a Thermo-pop is a great investment for $25.

I cook almost exclusively on my egg, from the usual stuff to casseroles, pizza and even a lemon meringue pie! And I am converting everyone I know to meat loaf on the egg! The BGE has brought my cooking game to a whole new level.

So don't be discouraged, enjoy an adult beverage, enjoy the journey and you'll see how the BGE is a game changer!

• mjk412
    Options
    Great stuff guys!  Thanks a lot!  I will take all this info and use it.  And.....I WILL KEEP THE EGG! :).  Thanks again.  

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited May 2015
    Options
    mjk412 said:
    Food has been 50/50. 
    Ribs came out amazing. My wife hates ribs and she really likes these.
    burgers dry
    chicken boneless skinless dry.
    pizza good. 
    Really wondering how you cooked DRY chick breasts on a BGE.  That's not the Egg.. :)

Do you have a good thermometer?  If not, get a Thermapen - stat.  Worth it's weight in gold.

As they say..cook  to temp, not to time.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)