Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-Maze-N Smoker

Options
I'm taking advantage of the 65 degree weather today and smoking a batch of cheese to get me through the summer months?  My family loves the smoked cheese and reminded me last weekend that my stash in the fridge was getting low.  Ha!  To Sam's I went!  The A-Maze-N smoker is one of best accessories I have.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Looks like your smokin' plenty enough to share. I'll send you my address so you can send one my way. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Agreed! what smoke and how long?

LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Looks like your smokin' plenty enough to share. I'll send you my address so you can send one my way. 
    I have 3 grandsons that will eat a block at a time.  It goes pretty fast!

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Hawg Fan
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Agreed! what smoke and how long?

I used apple pellets and smoked for 2.5 hours.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Hawg Fan
    Options
    10 lbs of cheese that will be aged for at least 6 weeks.  Sealed in a Foodsaver bag, it only gets better with age.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    I just did 10 lbs. That still isn't enough
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. I need to do some more. I agree the AMS is a good little tool to have 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting one of these.  How is your setup when using it?  Are you putting the AMS on your platesetter/AR just under the cheese or emptying the firebox and setting it up in there?  Thanks.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Options
    How do they work?  Do you put the smoker outside of the egg and vent the smoke in, or do you just put it in the bottom and the fire is cool enough not to heat up the egg and melt the cheese? 
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
    I'm taking advantage of the 65 degree weather today and smoking a batch of cheese to get me through the summer months?  My family loves the smoked cheese and reminded me last weekend that my stash in the fridge was getting low.  Ha!  To Sam's I went!  The A-Maze-N smoker is one of best accessories I have.

@Hawg Fan, are you using the A-Maze-N Smoker tube?  If so what size and what is the tray the cheese is sitting on.  This looks like something I want to do.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Hawg Fan
    Options
    aukerns08 said:
    I've been thinking about getting one of these.  How is your setup when using it?  Are you putting the AMS on your platesetter/AR just under the cheese or emptying the firebox and setting it up in there?  Thanks.
    I empty the firebox and place the AMS on the fire grate.  I usually go with a raised grid, but didn't this time.  The AMS generate a very small amount of heat.  The ambient temp was 65 and the dome temp never exceeded 80.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Hawg Fan
    Options
    dcc said:
    How do they work?  Do you put the smoker outside of the egg and vent the smoke in, or do you just put it in the bottom and the fire is cool enough not to heat up the egg and melt the cheese? 
    Yes, inside the egg on the fire grate.  The AMS generates a small amount of heat and will burn for 7-8 hours.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I need to do this. I bought an Amaze N smoker over the winter and still haven't used it.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Hawg Fan
    Options
    @Ladeback69.  It's the AMS tray.  The tray is a throw away grid I buy at Walmart for about $1 each.  That's easier than cleaning my grid.  I have also used a cooling rack that fits perfectly in my LBGE.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Very nice.   When I did my one and only batch using the AMS gizmo, I followed a tip that said don't smoke for more than 90 minutes.  My pellets were a blended mix of woods, though, so not as mild as using strictly apple wood.  I was fairly pleased with the results but I'm still pretty much a newbee.    I need to do another batch.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Very nice! I love my Amazing smoker too. The only thing I do different is I put my plate setter in.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter