Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rainy Sunday and time for a clean burn

Options
ksmyrl
ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
After 16 lbs of pork butts yesterday and several other butts in recent weeks I decided it was time to clean the egg. Especially since I don't want tonight's steaks tasting like week old pork drippings. So here we go.

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• HostileHarry
    Options
    Do you have a rutland gasket on there? I would be careful not to go over 800 otherwise you might not have a gasket for tonight's cook. I did a clean burn last weekend around 700 for 5-6 hours and it worked perfectly and I didn't char my stock gasket.
    Big Green Egg: Large & Mini Max
    Kamado Joe: Classic

Chicago, IL
  • HostileHarry
    Options
    I also wanted to mention that I really like your outdoor island setup. I am looking at having one built for 2 eggs and a small gas grill. From the picture, it looks like a nice clean and simple design, which is what I want to achieve.
    Big Green Egg: Large & Mini Max
    Kamado Joe: Classic

Chicago, IL
  • ksmyrl
    Options
    Thanks @HostileHarry, I'm trying to keep it around 750 to save the gasket. At just under 800 degrees I noticed some smoke leaking from one side of the gasket so I backed it down a bit.

Thanks also for your kind comments on the kitchen. I love it, had it about a year and use it 4-5 nights a week. I wanted simple and tons of counter top space. There have been a few times when I wished it was bigger, but that's a 1st world problem, we do enjoy it.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Love the OD Kitchen Kevin. Hoping we get some rain today to knock down some of this pollen. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Yes sir.  Very nice setup! 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• ksmyrl
    Options
    Thanks guys. Well, I chickened out after 2 hours at 700+ and shut it down. The firebox and fire ring are white, the dome is still black but all the greasy residue is gone. The DFMT looks new and the CI grate does as well. So it was a successful burn. Now that all that hard work is done I'm on the porch watching a downpour with the dog, and a bourbon. Man, these rainy days are tough.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I somehow missed this thread. I love your setup Kevin. I am a fan of stone. I found this thread because I need to do a clean burn, but I have been afraid to do one. I don't want to ruin anything. 

It sounds like yours was a success. In my oldest egg it has a lot of gunk on the side wall. It looks like tar. I need to just go ahead and do it. So you placed the daisy wheel in there as well? 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother your setup is spectacular looking.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    I somehow missed this thread. I love your setup Kevin. I am a fan of stone. I found this thread because I need to do a clean burn, but I have been afraid to do one. I don't want to ruin anything. 

It sounds like yours was a success. In my oldest egg it has a lot of gunk on the side wall. It looks like tar. I need to just go ahead and do it. So you placed the daisy wheel in there as well? 
    Curious about this too.  Did you put the daisy wheel in there?  What about the plate setter?
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I did a clean burn on easter and cracked my egg badly. Cracked the base, firebowl, and deglazed a good bit of the dome. 

I always clean burn probably once every three months. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,911
    Options
    I did a clean burn on easter and cracked my egg badly. Cracked the base, firebowl, and deglazed a good bit of the dome. 

That's a new one! Care to be more specific? Length of time, temperature etc. Can't
     tell you how many times I have done1,000 degree burn outs and have never had a problem. Your story is scary and we really do need to know more since what you describe should not have happened! 
  • nysportsfan
    nysportsfan Posts: 241
    Options
    I've had my LBGE for 5 years and have never done a high temp clean out.... I need to get on this. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options

My nightmare! That is exactly why I haven't done one, but I need to get the tar looking substance off of the walls. 

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options

My nightmare! That is exactly why I haven't done one, but I need to get the tar looking substance off of the walls. 
    Me too. I had planned to do mine Saturday. This post stopped me in my tracks. @milesvdustin -more info please.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    A ball of foil will work wonders on the big stuff
  • mahenryak
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What I'm taking from this healthy discussion is that I am going to try to limit the temp to around 400 F (or maybe 450 F) during the occasional clean burn .

• tfhanson
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    What I'm taking from this healthy discussion is that I am going to try to limit the temp to around 400 F (or maybe 450 F) during the occasional clean burn .

That is not really a burn, that is normal cooking temps.  Heck steak searing goes up to at least 600
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    @mahenryak  ... I'm thinking 700 for my clean burn - thou @RRP goes balls out @ 1000. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • tfhanson
    Options

What Temp was that burn?
  • mahenryak
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    mahenryak said:

That is not really a burn, that is normal cooking temps.  Heck steak searing goes up to at least 600
    Yes, I've considered this, but I've also considered comments from a few where several hours at these lower temps are still effective.  I think I'm at least going to give it a try.

• RRP
    Options
    I've been around for quite awhile and I swear what he described is the first time I have ever heard of such a problem. That's why I really hope he gets back on here and explain what he did, how he did it and any important information! But for people to now be scared to clean up the creosote and crud in their eggs because of just one poster out of thousands upon thousands of posts about burn outs is silly. We need more factual information. 
  • mahenryak
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Valid point @RRP .  I hope he does provide more details.  One of the reasons the post caught my attention has to do with the use of after market fire grates, and how such use apparently violates the warranty.  In my mind, this plants the seed that there are limits to the nuclear option--so to speak.  On the other hand, maybe it's the case of while 1000 F with standard issued bge fire grate is okay, potentially 1500   with the use of an after market ss grate, not so much.  I don't know.

• johnkitchens
    Options
    RRP said:
    I've been around for quite awhile and I swear what he described is the first time I have ever heard of such a problem. That's why I really hope he gets back on here and explain what he did, how he did it and any important information! But for people to now be scared to clean up the creosote and crud in their eggs because of just one poster out of thousands upon thousands of posts about burn outs is silly. We need more factual information. 
    I know it is silly, but I always seem to be the one guy that has bad luck. I am still going to do it though. I am not going any higher than 700. Hopefully that will be ok. 

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    I know it is silly, but I always seem to be the one guy that has bad luck. I am still going to do it though. I am not going any higher than 700. Hopefully that will be ok. 
    I hear you, but I sear my steaks at 750 to 780.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    @RRP do you think a couple of hours at 700 will be enough time to do a clean burn?  I am hoping so. 

• DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    I hear you, but I sear my steaks at 750 to 780.
    Wow, 750?  Maybe I should try that my wife said she wants a more "crusty" outside and I have been doing grilled direct at about 550.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I didnt mean to frighten everyone. I have clean burned the crap out of my egg since I have had it for 6 years. I have been through several fireboxes, but nothing else, until now.

I was cooking pizza for a family party the night before Easter. I had a full bowl of lump, and it was full to the top of the fire ring. Egg was running around 550-600 for two hours during the cook, make 12 pizzas. I used the AR with the extender on it with the stone on top, and the 13" AR stone on the top level below it. When we were done, i decided to do a clean burn because i was cooking 6 racks of ribs the next day. SO i took the stones out, opened the bottom all the way and left the the cap off. Next day i went out (its on a concrete patio at least 20 feet away from the house or any wood when i cook) and cleaned the ashes out and it was cracked. Im sure it hit over 1000 at some point. Warranty replacements are on the way.

Its noit cracked bad enough to not be used, but the base has a hairline crack across the bottom, the firebowl is split and the dome chipped off a pretty good piece.

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Here is a pic of the inside of my oldest egg. Clean burn time????

• BigGreenGator
    BigGreenGator Posts: 346
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Clean burned at 1000deg for 4 hours went outside to check on my egg .....and  It was gone ???!!! Couldn't find it 

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• SoCalTim
    Options
    @johnkitchen ... it's time.