Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How big of a brisket will fit in a LBGE

I'm looking for a little help.  I want to do my first brisket in my large egg and need to know if anyone can recommend how large of a brisket will fit.  I was at the butcher this morning and the smallest whole brisket they had was almost 14 lbs.  It looked like it would be to big for the LBGE. 

Comments

• I fit a 10# one in my LGE with no issue using a roast rack. If you use tinfoil to cover the edges of the fire grate (in order to create indirect heat for the parts of the brisket that aren't protected by the plate setter) I think you could squeeze a 14# brisket in there no problem. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I've done a 16.5 lber on mine, pre-trimming.  I did use a roasting rack, so that would be something that would help you as well.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    I did a 14 lb on mine.  I've also heard people lay the brisket over top of a firebrick to help long briskest fit.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    +1 on the use of a brick or inverted roast rack.  You can also try to accordion it on until the proverbial shrinkage does its thing.  Depending on the cut of the brisket you can likely lay around a 12-13 lb packer flat with foil protection on anything that overhangs your heat deflector. YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    +1 on the rack roast, have a brisket on now started on the rack roast and removed this morning with some shrinkage
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I have done a 18 pounder on my large. However it is a real pain and not really ideal. You are dealing with over crowding issues and trying to improvise. You could stuff a 20+ pounder in there if you just had to. Again it's certainly not ideal. I find that ones in the 12-14 pound range are the ideal size on the large. You have plenty of room to work and air flow is not hindered excessively. Also don't use weight as the main indicator. Use length. The large has a inside diameter of 17 inches, give or take a little. If your are using a oval stone for maximum indirect coverage, then anything in the 17 inch length and shorter is ideal on the large. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    edited April 2015
    I did a 14 pounder in my large, laid over a foil wrapped brick for a few hours until it shrank a bit. Mine gets hotter at the back so I put point at the back. Worked out fine. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • Thanks all, I found a 10 pounder at the local butcher, it's been trimmed, seasoned and it's quietly resting in the fridge waiting for the morning to come. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited April 2015
    And I should have done this in my prior post;
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Jumpin into the deep end with the brisket or ...this is not your first road.  Regardless, you will enjoy it here.  Of course the discourse can leave the Q world in a flash.  But all good in the main.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Largest I've done on my LBGE was 18#  but, it was a PITA. I like a 12#-14# packer on the LG. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    I've had an 18 pounder on my large as well.  I put a layer of foil at the one end of plate setter to block the gap at the front and keep one platesetter leg always to the back.  If it is too long you can drape it over a V rack.  You will be able to pull the V rack later as the brisket will shrink alot.
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    I love this forum!  Just bought my 1st brisket (14 lbs) from Restaurant Depot and SWMBO asked, "How are you going to fit that in the (Large) Egg?"  Quick search here and BAM!  Inverted roasting rack it is.

I'll try to remember to take pictures to post.  Good or bad.  Planning on keeping it simple for the first one.  50% kosher salt & 50% black pepper.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    I've done 15 plus. It's a tight fit but quickly shrinks as it cooks. 
    McKinney, TX