Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT....BGE vs Joe

Comments

• But we are gonna mock and ridicule. 

Little Rock, AR

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    when I got my egg, I also had the option to go with a Kamado Joe.  Two things mainly influenced my decision:

1.  The Kamado Joe did not have a "screen" on the draft door to prevent embers from escaping

2. The Kamado Joe is made in China

But we are gonna mock and ridicule. 
    Yes. Bruce Jenner is going to be the new model for KJ. Dubbed the confused Komodo.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Kawasaki Ninjas can go to Sturgis and the Harley folks love it because they're all just motorcycles right :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    @Photo Egg , I had a issue with the one I had with ceramics and I contacted the store I bought it from which in turn would not help except tell me to call customer service. They wanted me to send dome back at my cost and then they would send it back or a new one. I like the BGE dealer network as if I have a problem with one of my eggs in Maryland there are 8 dealers and a distributor within one hour, Key Largo I even have 2 dealers within one hour.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    @paqman The lack of screen would worry me too
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    I haven't had any issues with the lack of screen on the Joe Jr, but it was a consideration. so far I really like the Jr and appreciated it came with a way to raise the grid to the felt line and an indirect stone for over 200 less than the mini max. I know I would have liked the mini max as well, but I couldn't justify the extra money at the time for a second egg to go with my large.
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    I'm a Joe and I consider anything other than a BGE a sloppy decision? 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    SloppyJoe said:
    I'm a Joe and I consider anything other than a BGE a sloppy decision? 
    Nicely played.... Sloppy Joe 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Hunter1881
    @NCEggSmoker  The price of the Joe is definately something I would have to look into. Especially since I was just looking at a minimax this evening.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I bought the Jr but put it over at our Alaskan friends house so I've never personally used it.  He complained he couldn't get it hot, but I attribute that to his being a noob. He since got a demo LBGE and loves it.  I need to pick it up and give it a shot.  I imagine works identically to the egg.  Lighter for the cooking capacity compared to BGE.  Price and accessories are better for the Jr, but the larger models are about the same price.
    @paqman The lack of screen would worry me too
    Yup. I was going to post a PSA about using your fire screen. This could have been ugly. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    Photo Egg said:
    The Joe forum blows.
    Agree. Kinda slow.
    I bet they don't have a Devastated thread... 
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    I have a LGE and joe jr at home, vacation place I have a classic joe and an Akorn jr. Love them all, the joe's are very nice, come with excellent accessories and seem very well built. They all cook great food, the only problem could be the chef!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    @glennm I agree 100% the chef is what makes the food not the cooker. I have seen guys on a Weber Kettle beat guys with a 60K rig. Some days your spot on other days...well let's just say not so much.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    CincyTiki said:
    Lit said:
    CincyTiki said:
    For me, part of the reason I went with BGE is they are the ones driving this industry, this forum, the Eggfests, they contribute in a big way to my enjoyment of the Egg.  The low cost guys may have adequate Eggs, but there is more to it than just the Egg for me
    Have you seen KJs accessories versus the ones BGE offers? Its pretty clear whose team uses their product.
    @Lit yes, I have seen what comes with the Joe, but again, it's about more than just the Egg to me, I don't see Vision, Kamado Joe or others running fests around the country or well functioning forums.  I am not disparaging their products, I am saying I find I get something of value above and beyond just the Egg from BGE and I find that worth supporting.
    BGE only runs 1 fest right? The rest are set up by distributors and dealers right with help from users?
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    @lit 1 more then joe does now I sent it?

Whenever this comes up why do you get so defensive?  It should be quite obvious when someone asks about what they prefer on the BGE forum that the answer will be a BGE.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    @lit 1 more then joe does now I sent it?

Whenever this comes up why do you get so defensive?  It should be quite obvious when someone asks about what they prefer on the BGE forum that the answer will be a BGE.
    I'm not defensive. The lead post is just someone believing what a dealer told him. Had a dealer tell me a KJ won't get hot enough to sear a steak. 5 years ago I would have been the person saying the egg is the only grill/smoker you need but now I consider other options. If it wasn't for the notifications I never would have remembered I even posted on this thread so that's how much I really cared.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Photo Egg said:
    The Joe forum blows.
    Agree. Kinda slow.
    I bet they don't have a Devastated thread... 
    That could be a plus or a minus.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Kyle919
    Kyle919 Posts: 28
    I'm just gonna leave this here....  Lol. 

But seriously I looked at both and liked both.  I ended up with the Joe because you get more for your money.  Bottom line.  They are both great cookers and would be happy with either.
  • SGH said:
    KJ is very appealing from a price comparision.

This at one time was especially true. However, as of late, the price is not much different at all in my area on the large egg and the JOE. With that said, the JOE Jr. is still considerably cheaper than the mini max. But even it has went up considerably since I purchased mine.  I own and use both brands. I think they are both great products. It comes down to personal choice and preference. Can't go wrong either way. 
    This is exactly right.
    Best - Jack
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    I actually tried to buy the big joe from firecraft.com before the egg...they had trouble getting it.  Turned out to be a blessing as I found the XL at a local dealer who took great care of me. He hooked me up with nest indirect charcoal and starter for less than BigJoe.   Love my egg XL, but I think I would have been just as happy at the end of the day with the Big Joe.  I honestly don't think there is that much of a difference between the better brands.  Great warranty available and a good number of people willing to give advice....but the advice on here is a cut above the rest. I ended up buying a Med Egg as a house warming gift for my B-I-L just because of the support from my local dealer and this website 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    I sold my BGE and bought a Kamado Joe Big Joe. Just my two cents... The accessories that the Joe comes with are much better than the ones offered by BGE. The nest, the side shelfs, the handle... All are much nicer on the Joe. It came with a firebox divider and the hinge is much sturdier also and the gasket doesn't burn up right away. I like it much better. 
  • Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 30
    I wouldn't buy any ceramic grill made in China 
    Besides contaminant issues do you really think the fire clay is better than what BGE uses? green all the way!
  • Hunter1881
    @biznork I think that is one of the things my buddy is looking at. Seems like better bang for your buck. But the fact the local dealer doesn't have any other than floor model would scare me. I like walking in my BGE store with picture of damage and walking out with replacement. Again thanks everyone who responded.
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Whirly said:
    I wouldn't buy any ceramic grill made in China 
    Besides contaminant issues do you really think the fire clay is better than what BGE uses? green all the way!
    ummmmm

High-grade fire clays can withstand temperatures of 1775 °C (3227 °F), but to be referred to as a "fire clay" the material must withstand a minimum temperature of 1,515 °C (2,759 °F).  
    from wikipedia

We use fire clay as refractory in furnaces of large coal fired power plants withstanding intense heat and very unfavorable conditions for very long periods of time.  I think the fact that the minimum standard of fire clay is good to a temperature of 2-3 times what we get to puts this argument in the realm of completely irrelevant. 

I also cannot find any evidence anywhere on the internet on contaminant issues with their ceramics, can you provide any credible sources?

The fact of the matter is that ceramics break no matter what brand, as long as a good warranty is in place who gives a sh*t
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Was in KJ shop today buying a bag of charcoal. Dealer had an unused floor model red classic for $750. I may go back & get it. hell of a deal for divide & conquer & nest.
  • Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 30
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/sinosphere/2014/04/25/after-cadmium-rice-now-lead-and-arsenic-rice/

First  problem you are assuming they use high grade fire clay. We don't know . Secondly they are poisoning their own environment  currently. Not worth the risk to find out if it is in the fire clay. Is the Chinese govt transparent and worried about our health  ?  Doubtful... Mattel toys . Miley Cyrus Jewelry
    why trust them? Google lead cadmium China. 
    Start reading. Not worth the risk

• SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    Sold my BGE to buy Kamado Joe and never have regretted my purchase.  With that said, either or will serve you right.  Both are top notch, and ultimately it's up to YOU the pitmaster that will determine the quality of the end product.  Not the color of the ceramic, the thickness of it, the density, ash screen, gasket material or the gadgets.  Get what you want, period.