Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Table Question

Options
I've built the below table for my mini out of pallet wood. I am going to stain it a dark color and use a sealer to keep it protected from the elements. It is 29" L X 29" W X 21.5" H. This will put the mini handle at about the same height as my large handle.

My question - will it be safe to set the egg (in it's table nest, of course) directly onto the table? Or, do I need to have some sort of stone in between the egg and table? Just not sure if the table nest will create enough room between the egg and the wood table. Opinions welcomed!

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    I would be a little worried. 
    McKinney, TX
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I found this picture on the forum of what looks to be an XL egg sitting on a wooden table with just the table nest. Doesn't look to be any pavers underneath. So does that mean the mini wouldn't need one either?

Cumming, GA  

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    That's what the table nest is designed for.....  If you want, I know someone here went and hand had some square aluminum added to the table nest to raise it a little more... think welding 1-2 inch square stock to the nest to make it stand a little taller.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Just thinking outloud here, but how about adding an 'Egg Carten' .. It certainly would add the 'barrier' I think your gonna need. They also look pretty cool.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • fence0407
    Options
    Thanks @DaveRichardson - I have a friend who welds so maybe I'll talk to him. I really just wanted to make sure the table nest would work to provide enough air gap before I finished with the table. I assumed it would, but better safe than sorry. 
    Cumming, GA  

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    and I'm thinking that if your buddy is a welder, he might be able to bore into the square stock so you can then drill thru the table and bolt the nest with extensions to the table top.

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• fence0407
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Just thinking outloud here, but how about adding an 'Egg Carten' .. It certainly would add the 'barrier' I think your gonna need. They also look pretty cool.
    They do look pretty cool. Was trying to keep this little project inexpensive though - hence the free pallet wood structure. Maybe I can find a stone paver or something to add a layer of protection.
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options

and I'm thinking that if your buddy is a welder, he might be able to bore into the square stock so you can then drill thru the table and bolt the nest with extensions to the table top.
    That would be nice to have. Sure would make it sturdy. Thanks for the ideas!
    Cumming, GA  

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Mark the nest will work, but over time the wood underneath will darken from the heat. I put a piece of 3/16" steel plate under my table nests just to be sure I keep the wood from getting too hot. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • fence0407
    Options
    Mark the nest will work, but over time the wood underneath will darken from the heat. I put a piece of 3/16" steel plate under my table nests just to be sure I keep the wood from getting too hot. 

Thanks John! Doesn't look like the image came through. Would you mind sending again?
    Cumming, GA  

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    @johnkitchens - did you paint or have that sheet steel powdercoated?  That looks nice!

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Do you see the image Mark? If not here is a link to it, ("http://tjajags.com/jk/jktable1.jpg")

@DaveRichardson Thanks! The steel not powdercoated. Just black paint. 

• fence0407
    Options
    @johnkitchens got it through the link, thanks! I really like the way that looks. I will look into doing something similar I think. 
    Cumming, GA  

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I put a piece of 3/16" steel plate under my table nests just to be sure I keep the wood from getting too hot. 
    John, have you looked under the steel plate to check the wood? I can't see how that would do anything other than transfer whatever heat the nest doesn't handle directly to the wood. Maybe a stone slab or a paver would help, but I can't see how steel plate would help at all. For the same reason it makes such a great pizza! :) 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I put a piece of 3/16" steel plate under my table nests just to be sure I keep the wood from getting too hot. 
    John, have you looked under the steel plate to check the wood? I can't see how that would do anything other than transfer whatever heat the nest doesn't handle directly to the wood. Maybe a stone slab or a paver would help, but I can't see how steel plate would help at all. For the same reason it makes such a great pizza! :) 
    I haven't looked. When I originally posted my thread about my new table there was much discussion about whether the steel would help or not. Opinions were all across the board.

I don't think I will have a fire. I don't cook pizzas on my eggs so they very seldom see 500 degrees or higher and when they do it isn't for long periods of time.

I honestly just really wanted the steel there so I wouldn't have to see darkened wood. If the wood did turn dark it would drive me crazy having to look at it everyday.  

• fence0407
    Options
    @johnkitchens what kind of stain was used on your table? I like that color.
    Cumming, GA  

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I am not sure Mark. The table was made out of Red Cedar. I am pretty sure the stain is just clear.