Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned Beef Dinner on the ceramic

Rumrunner
Rumrunner Posts: 563
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Caution: for the color phobic, this meal has been cooked on another color ceramic. But, you can do it your Big Green EGG as well.
.[p]I'll keep this thread updated through out the day as the cook progresses.[p]Here is a nice Mosey's 3 lb Corned Beef Flat, that I've taken the liberty of dusting with some black pepper, garlic and crushed bay leaves.
spcb1.jpg[p]I've cut up some red taters, onions and carrots (no cabbage, yecch, 'cept in Cole Slaw), rubbed with some evoo and then a very light sprinkling of sea salt
spcb2.jpg[p]I've seared the Corned Beef at 400°, direct for approx 7-8 minutes a side. A word of caution, that nasty corned beef fat STINKS when it's cooking hot ;)[p]spcb3.jpg[p]As soon as I pulled the flat off, I added the vegies for a quick sear.
spcb4.jpg[p]I've lowered the heat to approx 250-275° and cooking indirect on some fire bricks. I want to keep this at a simmer most of the day and will add the veggies later. The brisket is in a mix of Sam Adams Winter Lager and water, with some extra bay leaves and garlic.[p]spcb5.jpg

Comments

• Rumrunner
    Here we are after 4 hours and time to skim the 'sludge'
    spcb6.jpg[p]Added some more liquid and the veggies
    spcb7.jpg

• Rumrunner
    All done, after about 7 hours.
    spcb8.jpg[p]Ok, everything onto a plate and ready to serve
    spcb9.jpg[p]MMMmmmm.....MMMmmmmm....MMMMM.....
    spcb10.jpg[p]Would I do this again? You bet'cha

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Rumrunner,
    Lookin good! Enjoyed your experimental cook as it progressed and I'm glad it worked out well.[p]Have a great St. Pat's day!
    Clay

• Rumrunner,
    That sounds great! Now u got me asking about the corned beef that comes in those plastic warps, some have those spice and some none, which one did yours come? Another question on those spice what's in there?
    I like the idea on doing it like you did, I'm gonna try!

• Rumrunner
    Bluegillman, yes, mine came in a plastic wrap with a little seasoning packet. Most of the seasoning packets contain bay leaves, mustard seed, garlic, mixed cracked peppercorns, celery seed, coriander and some cloves. Some have a few extra seasonings, but that's the basic mix. When I added extra liquid, it was just 50/50 beer and water with some crushed bay leaves, garlic and pepper. [p]Good Luck
  • Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Rumrunner,[p]Thanks for the tips and pointers. We got two of those 2 pound corned beef briskets complete with flavor pack, and I plan on doing this your way. Should have two 2-pounders in the cast iron pot change much from your one 3-pounder?[p]Again, thanks for your work, info, and availability for idiots like Stike...I mean me.[p]Todd
  • Rumrunner
    Dos Huevos wrote,"Should have two 2-pounders in the cast iron pot change much from your one 3-pounder?"[p]Shouldn't make any difference at all. If in doubt, when you add more liquid, throw in a tad more pepper, garlic and bay leaf.[p]