Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerk Chicken

Options
2»

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    @Legume
    Just finished a batch. Made chicken and  wings one night  and a pork tenderloin on Saturday night.  Had some wings and sweet mash for leftover lunch and SWHMBO finished off the tenderloin! Love Jerk! 

Back to a boring dizzy spatchcock tonight. 
    @THEBuckeye joining this thread late but just to be clear I was wondering if you used the jerk seasoning on your pork tenderloin, as well?  Thanks.
    I did. Marinated for 24 plus hours. Raised direct at 400 for approx 10 minutes a side with a goal of 140. Went just a bit too long and not enough pink (for anyway). Will definitely try it again. SHWMBO loved the leftover pork. I had my hopes on a tenderloin sandwich on a potato roll but she beat me to the pork! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I did. Marinated for 24 plus hours. Raised direct at 400 for approx 10 minutes a side with a goal of 140. Went just a bit too long and not enough pink (for anyway). Will definitely try it again. SHWMBO loved the leftover pork. I had my hopes on a tenderloin sandwich on a potato roll but she beat me to the pork! 
    Thank you for adding the marinating info.  Sounds like it was very popular with SWMBO, which is always a good thing.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2015
    Options
    No pimento for me... what I don't know won't cost me! LOL.  

And I'm actually quite happy with what I've had so far; chicken breasts and thighs, pork chops and a couple of small pork roasts. All outstanding. Thighs and chops were the best.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Dont forget your rice & peas with the awesome jerk you serve ...

Ingredients
    1 can (19oz) Kidney beans, including liquid
    1 can (14 oz) Coconut milk
    Water (approx 1-2/3 cups)
    2 cloves Garlic, chopped
    1 Small onion or 2 stalks scallion, chopped
    1 tsp Dried thyme
    1½ to 2 tsp  Salt, to taste
    1 tsp Black Pepper
    2  cups Long grain rice (rinsed and drained)

Method
    1. Drain the liquid from the can of beans into a measuring cup and
    add the can of coconut milk and enough water to make four cups of liquid

2. Add liquid, beans, garlic, chopped onion and thyme
     to large pot
    3. Add salt and black pepper.  Bring to a boil.
    4. Add rice and boil on High for 2 minutes.
    5. Turn heat to Low, and cook covered until all water is absorbed (about 15 to 20 min).
    6. Fluff with fork before serving.

Makes 4 to 6 Servings

Recipe taken from: http://cooklikeajamaican.com/rice-and-peas/

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    P.S. / FWIW I recently ordered some WalkersWood Jamaican Jerk seasoning through Amazon and unfortunately it showed up with the seals popped and slight leakage in both bottles.  I chose to throw it out and contacted Amazon for a refund.  I think it was a cabin pressure issue on the airplane.  (90% of things shipped my way end up on a commercial jet)  I've since ordered some Busha Browne's hoping that maybe I'll luck out with the bottles.  We'll see.
    My last order for Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning this past January was for a case of the stuff thru Amazon. It was actually from a vendor in the UK and was sent via air mail. All dozen jars arrived just fine so your problem may have been due to more than just air transport.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• mahenryak
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    My last order for Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning this past January was for a case of the stuff thru Amazon. It was actually from a vendor in the UK and was sent via air mail. All dozen jars arrived just fine so your problem may have been due to more than just air transport.
    Thank you.  Good to know.  Maybe I'll give it another shot once the dust has had some time to settle.  (I don't want to have to request two refunds for the same product in a very short time period.)

• Carolina Q
    Options
    mahenryak, try the Grace brand. I found it here in CT at Walmart of all places. That's what I used for this cook. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Legume said:
    @Legume
    Just finished a batch. Made chicken and  wings one night  and a pork tenderloin on Saturday night.  Had some wings and sweet mash for leftover lunch and SWHMBO finished off the tenderloin! Love Jerk! 

Back to a boring dizzy spatchcock tonight. 
    Have you tried fish?  Is that a thing with jerk or a bastardization?
    I have had Jerk fish from a restaurant, but it was no where near as hot as I would expect Jerk to be.  From what I have read, chicken, pork, fish, & shrimp are common jerk cuisine dishes.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    Shrimp, yes. The recipe I use is actually is for jerk shrimp. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• mahenryak
    Options
    mahenryak, try the Grace brand. I found it here in CT at Walmart of all places. That's what I used for this cook. 
    Thank you very much.  I'll checkout our local Walmart and see if they carry it.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    fljoemon, thanks for the recipe. I've only tried black beans and rice (NOLA style). Very similar recipe. Unfortunately, it seems I can't have coconut milk.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    You can check online for your store. That's how I knew mine had it in stock. And it was actually there! LOL

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    You can check online for your store. That's how I knew mine had it in stock. And it was actually there! LOL
    Some stores are better online than others.  I think it is Home Depot will actually tell you the aisle and shelf spot it should be at. 
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    no bueno at walmart near me, but world market seems to stock walkerswood
  • Carolina Q
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Legume said:
    no bueno at walmart near me, but world market seems to stock walkers wood
    You know, I just checked MY walmart and now it says they are out. 2-3 days ago, it said In Stock and they had at least a dozen when I got there. A run on Grace?! Or just poor online inventory info? Haha. I guess if ya wanna know, ya gotta go!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mahenryak
    Options
    Good point.  I just checked and it looks like I'm out of luck in that they are not available locally up here.  I do see that they carry Grace, WW and others online, though. 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I have had Jerk fish from a restaurant, but it was no where near as hot as I would expect Jerk to be.
    I was very disappointed in the only jerk fish I tried to make.  I used a jerk "paste" that got really soupy when I processed the onions, and I was wondering if maybe I should have squeezed out the onion juice or something.  But I marinated the fish (whole red snapper, as I recall), and it was good, but very, very mild.  The jerk flavoring was just barely perceptible, and it wasn't hot at all.  It didn't taste very "grilled," either.  Good fish, but it almost tasted like I'd just baked it without seasonings in the oven.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to do it better?

Theo
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    @Theophan .. I have done Yellow Tail Snapper Jerked with Escovitch Sauce. Very simple cook .. Cut slits in the fish and rub the fish with any good Jerk seasoning like Walkerswood or Grace or Spur Tree and let it marinate for about half hour. Get the BGE temps up in the range of 375 to 400. I grill it raised direct and I grill the fish for about 5 to 6 minutes until it is fully cooked. I have used a Weber Fish Basket  to hold the fish as this helps in flipping the fish and it doesn't stick to the grates. The Escovitch sauce is just white onions sliced thinly, couple of scotch bonnet peppers chopped real small, bunch of all spice berries and 2 cups of white vinegar simmered down in a sauce pan. Once the fish comes off the grill, pour the simmered down Escovitch sauce right over it .. amazing flavor and goes real well with rice & peas.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    I'm going to order some and try it.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    The Spur Tree is more paste-like. While flavor is good, I prefer to have some liquid too for marinating and table sauce. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Busha Browne is a paste and pretty good, I'll have to try walkerswood.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    The Spur Tree is more paste-like. While flavor is good, I prefer to have some liquid too for marinating and table sauce. 
    Spur Tree is more paste-like than WW? Didn't think that possible. You can stand a spoon up in WW. For that matter, you can probably stand a pipe wrench up in WW! That's why I've been adding a tbls or two of evoo to the zip bag. Just so i can mush it around a bit better.

Not complaining... Love what I've had so far!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    @Theophan .. I have done Yellow Tail Snapper Jerked with Escovitch Sauce. Very simple cook .. Cut slits in the fish and rub the fish with any good Jerk seasoning like Walkerswood or Grace or Spur Tree and let it marinate for about half hour. Get the BGE temps up in the range of 375 to 400. I grill it raised direct and I grill the fish for about 5 to 6 minutes until it is fully cooked. ... Once the fish comes off the grill, pour the simmered down Escovitch sauce right over it .. amazing flavor and goes real well with rice & peas.
    I grilled it direct, not raised, had marinated it in a home-made jerk "rub" that turned out more like a slushee than a rub, but for more than an hour, and even so there was hardly any jerk flavor.  

The fish was delicious, mild, very slightly smoky, but I was quite disappointed in the lack of jerk flavor.  With fish I wouldn't want overpowering seasonings, but this hardly had any.  Your pouring the sauce over the fish when it comes off the grill certainly would get some flavor in there!  The basket sounds good, too.  The fish skin stuck to my grid...  In a lot of ways it was a disaster, really, but the actual fish meat itself was mild, sweet, delicate, really good; it just didn't taste much at all like jerk.  I was quite disappointed.

Thanks for the tips!

Theo
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    Spur Tree is more paste-like than WW? Didn't think that possible. You can stand a spoon up in WW. For that matter, you can probably stand a pipe wrench up in WW! That's why I've been adding a tbls or two of evoo to the zip bag. Just so i can mush it around a bit better.

Not complaining... Love what I've had so far!!
    I've never had WW. Just offered my take on Spur tree. Another thought is to mix some apple cider, OJ, Soy and EVOO to the paste ot mush it around  =)
    New Albany, Ohio