Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter Crown Roast

Options
tkleager
tkleager Posts: 539
edited April 2015 in EggHead Forum
We ordered this up from one of our local butchers for Christmas.  My in-laws balked at the idea of not having the traditional turkey for dinner, so to the freezer it went.  Decided that we wanted to do Easter dinner this year and this is what we were going to have.
7f81a0881b5f90258f5d19615c684211jpg

Saw a recipe around Christmas that had an apricot glaze so started that Friday night when I got the roast out to thaw.
11b0594d804856abf8f326f46b344324jpg

ed67a024c8461d9011b1cc0bb5225401jpg

1fc8f16b8dd8be0d30d485308eb4f310jpg

Ran that threw the blender and simmered down for 45 mins.  Let it cool down over night.  The recipe that I saw at Christmas also had a Brussels sprout dressing that went with it, so why not.

d3f9513b32af1c61213edc0d5fe2d961jpg

Let that cool in the fridge and seasoned up the roast with some S&P and garlic.  

7ab975b591d568194ddc45c9159267cajpg

This morning I got up and covered the rib tips with foil.

e0cb89207b7446530f364442bb4e020ajpg

Added the dressing.

519a03780373a5be7ea94132630faf7ajpg

Coveed in foil and into town.  Because of time constrains and limited space at our house my parents agreed to host, and do the roast on dads large.  Had him set up indirect with apple wood chunks at 350.  Put the roast in at 8:30 and off to church for choir and egg hunt for JR.

0bf9da5e3499531abe76f697fc6f1160jpg

Left instructions to glaze starting at about 10:45.  Church let out on time and we pulled into the drive at 11:25.  Just in time to check the temp and find us at 150.

1fc58775a5b7773cae8195103bb3064djpg

Pulled and allowed to rest for 15 minutes.

eccf0ac9ec11ae2890f6c89f4128900ajpg

Sliced and served with Mr. Dells Cheesey Potatoe bake, the Brussels sprout dressing, fruit salad, beer bread mybsister made.  Sorry I didn't get a full plated picture, but here is the sliced roast on the platter headed for the table.

No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
Eggheads Everywhere Map
Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Looks great - I wouldn't have had the stones to put that on and leave it.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Nice crown!  That sprout dressing sounds interesting. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Wow is such an understatement. Fan-freaking-tastic job! 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tkleager
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @Legume, I didn't leave it.  We cooked on my dad's egg, and he stayed and minded the egg.  I wouldn't have the stones to walk away unless it was being watched.

The sprout dressing was AWESOME!  Like I said it will be finding its way on to another holiday table down the road.
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
     :o:bow:  
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Wonderful!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    i have wanted to do one of these for a couple of years, but I have the same problem with people wanting turkey or beef
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • tkleager
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The last pic won't show for some reason.

Eggheads Everywhere Map
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    tkleager said:
    The last pic won't show for some reason.

Too food Pr0N risque. :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Crown roast, one of my favorites. Looks like a first round knockout to me. Great job and Happy Easter.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 483
    Options
    Looks great -  mind sharing the brussel sprout recipe - thanks!
    Austin, TX
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,582
    Options
    Flippen Awesome..Looks great..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • thegooddocta
    Options
    Love it - definitely have to ask the butcher for this one of these days. Great cook!
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • tkleager
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here you go @Eggpharmer

1 lb Brussels sprouts 8 ounces bacon, thick cut bacon, 1/2" slices 1 yellow onion, diced 4 cups sourdough bread, crusts removed, 1" cubes 1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 cup chicken stock
    1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the cubed bread on an even layer on a sheet pan, sprinkle with salt. Place in the oven. When golden-brown, remove the toasted bread (about 8-10 minutes). Set aside in a large bowl.
    Rinse Brussels sprouts, remove outer leaves and cut in half.  Place the bacon in a large sauté pan. Turn heat to medium and cook until slightly crisped. Add the onion, garlic, Brussels sprouts and nuts if using. Season with salt and pepper, and cook until tender (about 10 minutes). Add the stock to the sprout mixture. Add sprout mixture to the bowl with the toasted bread. Add a drizzle of olive oil, toss and season with salt and pepper to taste.

I stuffed 1/2 of this dressing into the crown roast.  The other half I put in a covered baking dish and into the oven @ 350 for 45min

This made enough to fill an 1.5qt  CorningWare dish.

Eggheads Everywhere Map