Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I get a mini max?

MaC122
MaC122 Posts: 797
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum

I like how @nphuskerFl is taking it out to the beach and I like how portable it is. Should I wait for a price drop? I hear the MM is almost as much as a bge M. I bought my parents a bge mini but they never use it and that's ok. That cost me around $350, I'm still trying to teach my dad how to use it. Im going to get one regardless but some encouraging words might help me out! What are the positives and the negatives? Thanks

St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    If you have the money, absolutely yes you should get one. I don't foresee a price decrease anytime soon. Heck you only live once. Go for it!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Why not! Go for it!
    McKinney, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Support the economy.  Spend money! You will be happy.
    Mine gets to cook most nights now. Plays well with the large. Likes to travel to show off his skills and tasty food. Real light on lump. Big enough for me and the kid. Waiting on another for my dad. Go for it. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited March 2015
    The best chance for a price drop is an eggfest.  BGE will never drop msrp prices. They only go up every year.  I'd buy the medium for the MM price or buy the small for MM price.  If the small is cheaper it's a no brainer.  It weighs close to a MM and gives you more space and can be more versatile 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I don't foresee a significant pricing drop. I'd agree an Eggfest would be the best money buy for a new under warranty egg. We enjoy ours that's for.certain. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    edited March 2015
    The thing is heavy.  I was able to move it by myself but two is better.  The position of the handle/hinges does not help.

Why not just take the mini from your parents who don't use it. Mini is way more portable than MM and can hold a hell of a lot more than what people give credit for
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Sure, I got one and love it.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    I love mine.  I bought it for a trip this summer but I use it all the time for smaller cooks and side dishes.  A nice little bonus is it uses less lump.
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Chubbs said:
    Why not just take the mini from your parents who don't use it. Mini is way more portable than MM and can hold a hell of a lot more than what people give credit for
    I like your way of thinking. I would do the same thing.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    SGH said:
    Chubbs said:
    I like your way of thinking. I would do the same thing.
    +1

XLBGE 
  • SGH
    Chubbs said:
    and can hold a hell of a lot more than what people give credit for
    You know it's kind of funny, I use to bash the small eggs. Just could not understand why someone would buy one. Now I use the mini more than anything I own. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    SGH said:
    Chubbs said:
    and can hold a hell of a lot more than what people give credit for
    You know it's kind of funny, I use to bash the small eggs. Just could not understand why someone would buy one. Now I use the mini more than anything I own. 
    They are pretty good. Temperature is my issue. But I'm buy a HighQue for my small and if it still is underwhelming I'm getting rid of it. 

XLBGE 
  • SGH
    @MrCookingNurse
    I can't speak for the small, but on my large and mini the High Q made a huge difference. Night and day if you will.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    FWIW the MM airflow hasn't been an issue that I can see needing anything other than the factory fire grate. I'm sure others may disagree but, the Max gets to temp reasonably fast and holds temp like a champ. 9x out of 10 I just pull lump from my large to fill or top off the MM. It's a very efficient unit. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    9x out of 10 I just pull lump from my large to fill or top off the MM. 
    Why haven't I thought of that! Good idea.
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    I'm wanting to get either the MM or the mini too but my biggest battle for me is whether it's worth the cost for the few times a year I will actually be able to use it.  :angry: 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Monaarts said:
    I'm wanting to get either the MM or the mini too but my biggest battle for me is whether it's worth the cost for the few times a year I will actually be able to use it.  :angry: 
    You will use it a lot more than you think. small meals, additional sides, etc...
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I egged four times over the weekend. I used the mini three of those times and for the fourth meal I used a L and M. I'm in agreement with @SGH - I didn't see the value in the smaller ones until I had them. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SGH
    minniemoh said:
    I egged four times over the weekend. I used the mini three of those times and for the fourth meal I used a L and M. I'm in agreement with @SGH - I didn't see the value in the smaller ones until I had them. 
    I can't speak for them all, but I can say without question or doubt that the mini kicks a$$. Making a burger on mine as we speak. 

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Very few items can't be cooked in the Mini that I need my MM for. The MM is heavy. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Mickey said:
    Very few items can't be cooked in the Mini that I need my MM for. The MM is heavy. 
    Thus are you coming back over to the mini side? Would love to have you back on our team  ;)

Status- Standing by.

• MaC122
    Just have to convince the wife. I did buy my truck without telling her. I think she was pissed about that.  But why bore her with a day at the dealership, right? I don't want to bore her at ACE. Im just being thoughtful
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I did a brisket wings, sausage etc this weekend. Mini was untouched , large and MM got the workout for guests. Its nice not forcing the space.... That's what you do on the mini....it works but you force the bigger cooks.
    Seattle, WA
  • NPHuskerFL
    Monaarts said:

Buy it and I'll put it to use. Cuz the only thing better than the beach with a MM is two MM's :giggle: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    What did ya decided Stephen?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • MaC122
    edited April 2015
    What did ya decided Stephen?

Going to get it as soon as my shoulder heals enough to lift it. Maybe in 6 weeks I can lift it? The way that I got my BGE large was that ACE sent my parents a 20% off on all grills coupon. The fine print said excluding bge but they honored it anyway. I don't think they read the fine print and I didn't exactly tell them about it either. This was the ACE in marsh landing. Hopefully another coupon like that will come out since its getting to be grilling season. If not, ill have one soon.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I've had mine for a while now. Love it. And can't wait to use it camping. However I have to wonder whether I'd been just as happy with a mini and an ar. (For the same money) 

I guess I'll know once I finally get an ar.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.