Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken & Brisket Brunswick Stew

Options
jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
My weekly family meal was going to be at my parents house this weekend and I needed something I could take on the road. I found this recipe for Chicken & Brisket Brunswick Stew which was kismet because I had 3 pounds of brisket that I had made back in January sitting in a FoodSaver bag in my freezer. I made this on Friday at the same time I was making the Creme Brûlée I posted here yesterday. Stew is always better reheated so this was a bonus. Since I was able to post the link to this recipe, I am not going to go into details of the ingredients as I sometimes do. I will mention two things: The recipe called for 2 pounds each if chicken and beef brisket. I had 3 pounds of beef brisket, so I used 1 pound of chicken breast. Second I am not a fan of lima beans, so I substituted thawed frozen peas. 

If you don't have pictures it didn't happen. So here is the brisket from 01/27/15.

The ingredients are gathered for further prepping.

The ingredients are prepped.

Time to start, First some onions and garlic are sautéed in oil.

The chicken plus the water/beef paste mixture are added next.

Everything but the brisket and lemon juice are added and this mixture simmers for 2 hours.

The stew has simmered for 2 hours and is on a trivet on the counter. Time to shred the chicken breasts & add them back in together with the brisket, which I had cut into short strips. 

The chicken breasts were fished out of the stew, shredded and added back in, along with the brisket.

The Dutch oven with the stew was returned to the stove and simmered for 30 minutes more. At that point I had a "Quality control sample" bowl. I let the stew cool in the Dutch oven so I could refrigerate it overnight.

One Saturday I reheated the stew in the Dutch oven over low heat for about 45 minutes. I served it with some store-bought buttermilk biscuits.

My parents declared this to be the best stew they had ever tasted and I must admit it was up there on my list too. The bowls I had the second day were indeed better that the bowl from the first day. Yes I did say bowls plural. On Saturday everyone had at least two bowls. If you haven't tried a Brunswick Stew definitely put it on your list. It is such a wonderful explosion of flavors.

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments