Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why are veggies so hard to enjoy?

2»

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Zippylip said:

Here's another good use of veggies, cauliflower to be specific with a bunch of others on top.  I'm not sure the link below will work but if not the post can be found by searching collie flower

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1096636

Hey buddy! Glad to see you here. You may want to watch out cause some thievin' SOB is stealing your pics

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

Yeah - a wok IS on my list but what I estimate is...

Wok - $24

Woo - $25

Hoak & Ladle - $18

Welding Gloves - $20

and a High Que Grate - $32

I think everything but the grate would be necessary - but would slip in the grate to most efficiently hit those high temps

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Grilled sugar snap peas.

Stir fried broccoli with some minced garlic, tons o' crushed red pepper, and a little soy sauce.

• acegg77
    acegg77 Posts: 120
    Because I've been told to cut down on meat, I've been buying Westsoy seitan or Chicken-less strips or other fake meat things and wok-ing them with cut-up brocs, snow peas, garlic and ginger for 3 mins or so in olive oil... then add some bottled teriyaki sauce (brand called JES) for a minute or two, pour the whole mess over jasmine or basmati rice... and it is a hell of a nice meal for when not using the Egg.   
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

god i hate that ipad does not let you write things in a list. when you post, it goes to 1 run on sentence.

sorry

That's that Texas English.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I do all kinds of veggies on the egg, I think it makes them taste even better. Asparagus is the easiest. Brake the ends off, through them in a zip lock bag, add some olive oil and some seasoning. I put them on after my main dish and they cook quick. They are good even when a little chard. Zucchini squash, broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, onions cauliflower and carrots I do the same way in a grill basket or in some foil steamed. Fruit is great grilled on the egg. Cut up some pineapple, soak in some dark rum, sprinkle on some Dizzy Pig Pineapple seasoning and it is great on the egg. Try watermelon, apples, pears and other fruit.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • We always do brussel sprouts, halved and carmalized. The other go-to is sweet potatoe wedges. Doesn't get much better than that for me.
    Austin, TX
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Heres a recipe i used when i was doing medifast diet.  Its rather tasty and very lean and very low cal

I never made it on the egg but dont see why your couldnt

Combine the flollowing in a skillet and saute with a small amount of olive oil or cooking spray:
    4 C. Sliced zucchini into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices.
    Add 1/4 C chopped onion.
    Add 1/2 C sliced mushrooms
    2 t. minced garlic.
    1/2 tsp general purpose seasoning of your choice
    Dash of pepper.

Saute until onion and zucchini are limp then drain mixture.

In a separate pan (I used leftovers from the night before)
    1/2 lb ground turkey
    1/2 tsp general purpose seasoning of your choice

Brown in skillet until fully cooked. Drain thoroughly.

Mix in a bowl:
    4 oz. lowfat shredded cheddar
    1/4 eggbeaters
    2 t. mustard (not powder)

In a 9" square baking dish:

Pour zucchini into the baking dish then evenly distribute 7 oz. of ground turkey over the zucchini. Pour the egg/cheese mixture over it.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes until top is just golden.

Allow to cool 10 minutes then slice into two pieces.

Half the pan is one serving
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited March 2015
    I agree with you.  Not many veggies I care for.  Wife loves them all but I am very veggie limited.
    Plain veggies can be boring, and many techniques to pump up the flavor add the fats and salt and stuff your doctor likely wants you to reduce, but you can go with sauteing in a little olive oil and add some cayenne pepper, garlic powder (not garlic salt), etc to increase the flavor.  You can also do things like make lasagne, but replace some noodle layers with thin sliced zucchini or other veggies to increase your veggie consumption.  Put spinach in meatloaf. 

Or, if you can stomach veggie smoothies, purree veggies cooked to full softness, blend them in a blender, drink it down fast and chase with a glass of water or milk just to get it over with.  Then sit down to a nice steak for dessert.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    " I find myself lately eating quick steamed/still crispy or raw veggies as side dishes but not everyone in the clan can get on board with it..."

That makes things much harder. If you need to eat more veg for your own good, maybe concentrate on what you like. Then see what others like too.

I don't know about you. but most lettuces and other greens are fine w. me. I've read that darker greens, or ones w. red tint are best. Learn to make your own vinaigrette. Good oil and a sharp vinegar like sherry vinegar is great. Add some fresh grated parmesan, and/or sunflower seeds.

Squash tends to have lots of starch, but chunks stewed w. tomatoes and some chickpeas can be quite satisfying.

Fresh makes huge difference. Green beans straight out of the garden can be very good. Likewise, okra.

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    I like grilled veggies, but get most of mine every morning with a fruit and veggie smoothie made in the Vitamix. I lost 30 lbs in 8 months just with the daily smoothies.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • It's sacrilege on this forum since I don't do it on the egg, but look into Moroccan cooking. The food is slow cooked, and there are a lot of great one-pot, veggie-heavy dishes. You can also justify a few new toys (a tagine for example). The below is a beef and tomato tagine with preserved lemon. Just an example - was awesome.

Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    I guess veggies are not as good for you if they have bacon wrapped around them.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I love blanched broccoli with this wonderful dipping sauce.  I first had it at a local Japanese sushi joint, but then learned of a recipe to make their secret dipping sauce.  I found the dipping sauce recipe close but missed the mark, I have tweaked it some and like it much better now, not sure if I exactly match the restaurants version, but I'm very pleased with the flavor I can repeatedly create.  This is one of the recipes I make where I stick to the measurements I came up with.  For those that want to give it a try, here ya go.

Broccoli Sauce (for blanched broccoli served cold or room temp)
    1 tsp sesame seeds
    4 tsp white granulated sugar
    2 tsp lime juice
    1 tsp soy sauce
    6 TBS mayonnaise
    1/2 tsp sesame oil

1. Mix lime juice, soy sauce, & sugar until sugar is mostly dissolved
    2. Toast sesame seeds (i use a toaster oven), then mash up with a mortar & pestel.
    3. Add ground seeds, sesame oil & mayo to the liquids from step 1.
    4. Whisk until smooth, make at least a 1/2 hour before serving. Store in fridge.

Dip broccoli in sauce and enjoy.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    If you're missing the taste of meat, grilled portobellos are the way to go.  I actually prefer them to beef hamburgers.  You can scrape the black gills off first, or not; soak in a bit of italian dressing first, or not; plop on a toasted bun instead of the beef hamburger, condiments as you see fit (a few drops of balsamic vinegar is fantastic), deeelish!!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Thug kitchen has great vegetarian recipes....and is an entertaining read
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I usually do the meat on the Egg, and my GF usually does the sides.  She does a pretty mean "roasted veggies" and here's what she does:

Take your favorite veggies (we usually do either cauliflower or a mixture of several different kinds) and put 'em in a ziploc bag.  Then, pour some olive oil in there, and then add some crushed garlic.  Make sure you shake the bag good to get the olive oil & garlic all over.  

Then put 'em on a pan / cookie sheet (for the Egg, maybe a basket might work), then add salt & pepper.  

She said she bakes them in the toaster oven @ 400 for about 25 min.  

When they're done, there'll be some browned bits of veggies (she calls them "crunchies") - and OH MAN are they good!!  

We really like this as a side, and it's very easy to do!!!

HTH,
    HH
    We do this with broccoli. It completely mellows it out and makes it much more enjoyable than steamed broccoli.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I tell ya call me crazy but, I like using veggies. Something fun we've been doing is spiralizing veggies to incorporate into different dishes. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Even peppers and onions are no good?
  • Styggiti
    Styggiti Posts: 4
    I find that grilling a lot of vegetables transform them from boring to something you'll actually look forward to eating.  I like doing asparagus, green beans and broccoli with a little sesame oil (or olive oil), salt and pepper.  Get them nice and charred and you'll never go back to steamed again.  Cauliflower works well like this too, or better, cut into "steaks" and grilled.
  • Chauncy
    Chauncy Posts: 47
    Not nesscessarily, veges grilled with garlic makes for something really delicious.