Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who does pastromi on the BGE

Options
This is my first shot at pastromi and am open to suggestions.

Comments

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    You can start with a brisket and brine it for 2-3 weeks, or you can do what I do and start with a corned beef, which has already been brined and is ready for pastrami.

I just smoke it for 4 hours at 220f - use a mild smoke wood - and coat it in coriander seeds, brown sugar, kosher salt, mustard seeds and white peppercorns.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Not pastrami, but doing an MSM. Comes out next Friday. 
    image.jpg 1013.8K
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I love making pastrami on my Egg.
    I tried brining my own once and wasn't overly pleased with how that came out, so I stick with buying corned beef in the bag, soaking for a day to remove salt, and applying my own rub for the smoke, then I finish mine in a pressure cooker.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    edited March 2015
    Options

my pastrami is kind of like @Zmokinversion. I buy the corned beef in a bag at the grocery store and let in soak in water for a couple of hours after discarding the spice bag. Then I dry it off and rub it down with mayo and spices and smoke it until probe tender. pretty easy and I never had one dry out on me. They come out very tender.

St. Johns County, Florida
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I love making pastrami on my Egg.
    I tried brining my own once and wasn't overly pleased with how that came out, so I stick with buying corned beef in the bag, soaking for a day to remove salt, and applying my own rub for the smoke, then I finish mine in a pressure cooker.

I also do the same. As a matter of fact I have a couple small corned beef briskets to start cooking tonight. They are small so I'm going to try tying them together to make one bigger piece.  Pics to follow.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Here's one I did a little over a year ago.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1173178/pastrami-from-scratch

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Just took off a 3 1/2 pounder.  Took corned beef flat, rinsed for 48 hours with 3-4 changes water.  dried, seasoned and wrapped with saran wrap overnight in frig.  set up medium indirect 250-275, after 2 hours when meat was between 150-160 placed in a double foil pouch with 1/2 can Bud and placed back on again indirect until 190-200F.  Total cook time just under 4 hours.  Now the wait begins.