Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gift for my brother in law.

ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
My wife's brother has just purchased a home, and I am told we "need" to get him a gift.  He had a gas grill, but has always told me he'd like to learn to cook on charcoal.  I was thinking weber kettle gold but am open to suggestions.  I know he has always commented about my old kettle, UDS and now my XL BGE, but I don't feel that I can swing a BGE for him. My daughter while only 5 soon to be six has her eyes on a MM for herself. She tells everyone at her school she is getting her own BGE for her birthday.  Funny thing is she already has her own bbq gear and will tell you no one dust a pig butt like she dose. 
XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Weber kettles are a very good value. Not on the level of an egg, but he would surely be very grateful for such a nice gift. Great grill. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I was just going to point you too the Akorn thread but it appears you found it on your own. I'd say a kettle or one of those is perfectly acceptable as a housewarming gift. Especially for someone used to propane cooking.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    edited March 2015
    I've have had a 22" Weber kettle for the last 36 years. My ex still has the first one I purchased. I've had my current red kettle for 28 years. I learned on the Weber & have put out some great food & still do.  That would be a fine gift for an entry level cook. Smoke, indirect, direct, reverse sear. 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    I say go OTG.  Personally I like them better than the Akorn.  There are tons of online tutorials that he can read up on too.  Great grill to learn on.  I used them for years.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I would recommend a Weber Performer instead of the OTG. The workspace comes in very handy, and its a great grill. You can cook all kinds of things with it hot 'n' fast or lo 'n' slo.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ryantt
       caliking said:
    I would recommend a Weber Performer instead of the OTG. The workspace comes in very handy, and its a great grill. You can cook all kinds of things with it hot 'n' fast or lo 'n' slo.
    Performer is a great idea. I imagine he would like the workspace and those old kettles hold up forever.  I got my for my 16th bday and other than replading the cover I haven't done a thing to it.   I will start him off right with some quality lump and chimney. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @ryantt - that's a plan worth rolling with :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Durangler
    Be sure to give him a box of the Weber starters with the chimney. They work great. Forgo the starter fluid. :wink: 
  • ryantt
    Durangler said:
    Be sure to give him a box of the Weber starters with the chimney. They work great. Forgo the starter fluid. :wink: 
    Those little starters are an amazing invention.  I honestly don't know how I ever did without them.  I always go to HD or Lowes and buy them out at the end of the season.  Funny how we have a grilling season in Ohio, apparently someone forgot to mention it to me.  As I love going out to cook when I have to shovel a path to the grills. 

• Scottborasjr
    Amazon has starter cubes for around 16 bucks for 144 count box.  Search Rutland Firestarter best price I've seen for them clearance or not. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • ryantt
    Amazon has starter cubes for around 16 bucks for 144 count box.  Search Rutland Firestarter best price I've seen for them clearance or not. 
    Thank you for the info. 

• Scottborasjr
    edited March 2015
    No problem, I used to buy the BGE ones when I first got the Egg at I think 9 bucks for twenty four. Needless to say when I found the one's on Amazon I was excited.
  • Durangler
    Weber makes 2 chimneys, the big one for around $15 and a smaller one, around $11. I have the smaller one and have never filled it to capacity.
    Just a thought. 
    This is fun spending your money!! :lol: 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Here's something unique. Check out the Smoke Vault @ Amazon. It's an awesome smoker and better yet it's only $265. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • ryantt
    Durangler said:
    Weber makes 2 chimneys, the big one for around $15 and a smaller one, around $11. I have the smaller one and have never filled it to capacity.
    Just a thought. 
    This is fun spending your money!! :lol: 
    Well it's nothing new, someone else is always spending my money lol.  I have the larger weber chimney and almost always put in a 1/3 of a load.  Thanks for the recommendation on the smaller one.  I'm trying to decide what lump to buy him to get started. I know it's a loaded question but it needs to be easy for him to get, any ideas.  I use Cleveland lump and RO.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    For a kettle I would go kingsford blue bag.  Consistent size, lighting, and temp.

I only use lump in my webers when I need higher temps.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • ryantt
    Funny thing about this forum, my debit card seems to be used every single time I get on here.  I think the boss is going to start complaining.  As long as I don't have to share custody of the egg in the divorce it will all be ok.   

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    ryantt said:
    Funny thing about this forum, my debit card seems to be used every single time I get on here.  I think the boss is going to start complaining.  As long as I don't have to share custody of the egg in the divorce it will all be ok.   
    You have no idea. Stay away from that Cen-Tex fellow. He's really good at moving your money from you to someone else.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ryantt
    For a kettle I would go kingsford blue bag.  Consistent size, lighting, and temp.

I only use lump in my webers when I need higher temps.
    Good point on the kingsfird blue bag, haven't purchased any in years but it's probably a great place for him to start.  I think I'll still through in a bag of lump for him to try.  I imagine they will want to try making a pizza in it.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Yeah Cen-Tex made me buy the KO Worksharp.  He twisted my arm.  Now I need better knives just to use on the awesome sharpener.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Yeah Cen-Tex made me buy the KO Worksharp.  He twisted my arm.  Now I need better knives just to use on the awesome sharpener.
    Sous vide, meat glue, books, KO work sharp, trip to Salado. Dude owes me a tax receipt the way I see it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ryantt
    Funny how we need things isn't it.  

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    A kettle is a great way to see if they like using charcoal and I still have my first kettle. If the performer is around the same price I would opt for that. I loved that grill.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    caliking said:
    I agree that the Performer is a good option, but I also like the Weber Smokey Mountains.  I stated with a 22.5" one and put "L" brackets on the base so I could use it as a XL Smokey Joe grill.  Either one would be a nice gift.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    If you have a Tractor Supply, look there.  Routinely 12ish for the Rutland squares/144.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    A Kamado Joe Jr can be ordered on Ace Hardware's web site and shipped free to any Ace Hardware in the country.  We did that for my B.I.L. at Christmas.  He just had to stop by his local Ace to pick it up.  Good deal if he lives far away.  They probably have Webers too.

Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    If you can't swing the Egg get them a gift ceritificate.  Some stores carry both Eggs and Weber.  That way they can get what they like.  You can also choose a Visa card or something like that, that can be used anywhere.  I know sometimes gift certificates are seen as lame but me personally I'd rather get a gift certificate that something that I didn't want or samething better. Just my .02.  
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited March 2015
    dcc said:
    A Kamado Joe Jr can be ordered on Ace Hardware's web site and shipped free to any Ace Hardware in the country.  We did that for my B.I.L. at Christmas.  He just had to stop by his local Ace to pick it up.  Good deal if he lives far away.  They probably have Webers too.

I was just thinking the same thing regarding the KJ Jr and Ace.  Seems to me that the Weber Performer is creeping up near this same price range--unless I'm looking at the wrong unit.  The only caveat being that if you live outside the lower 48, like me, expect to pay some shipping costs.  (I just purchased one last month and it was around $30 to have it shipped from the warehouse to my Ace store here in Alaska.)
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• ryantt
    Didn't think about KJ Jr. they are only around $100 more than the better   Weber performer 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    ryantt said:
    Didn't think about KJ Jr. they are only around $100 more than the better   Weber performer 
    Yeah, as a bonus I was thinking it might serve as good common ground for get-togethers.  Cooks would obviously tend to be a little more comparable, etc., for conversation / planning purposes.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore