Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going camping and bringing mini max....

what is the best way to transport it? Im thinking the back seat of truck bounces least of all places. Should I take the insides out or leave them in?

Comments

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    We take our small on every RV trip we go on. I sit belt the small in the back seat of the truck. I haven't taken the guts out ever. Sometimes, depending on how rough the roads are I will shim the innards with triangle wood wedges. 
    You are in store for some mighty fine food where ever your destination is.
    Good Luck and Happy Eating
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I throw it in the bed. It's just a grill! 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Mine goes into the truck bed and secure with a expandable securing bar. Works A okay. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jeremiah
    @NPHuskerFLThat expanding securing bar is pure genius!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Mine goes into the truck bed and secure with a expandable securing bar. Works A okay. 

Damn with a few chairs to boot.....perfect.
    Seattle, WA
  • NPHuskerFL
    @Jeremiah you give me too much credit brotha. But, thanks. It keeps it to German specs. Gooduntight. Even if you travel over railroad tracks, speed bumps or the occasional Ahole jacks in front of you and you have to slam on brakes. It's a cheap insurance that Mr. MM doesn't roll around in the bed like Humpty Dumpty. :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • My small fits perfectly in back of my truck. I ratchet strap it to the side and the folding bedcover braces it at the top. If im going to my camp with a truck thats not full, it goes in backseat with a seatbelt. 

Little Rock, AR

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Let the roasting begin, I got to the camp ground and realized I forgot the mini max

• Jeremiah
    You are a moron. 
  • tz666
    edited March 2015

Hard to get a sear on a crappy campground grill. No jokes I had a serious buzz

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I'm no camping expert, but I'm not sure you should sit on a grill, campground or otherwise. 
  • tz666
    I was hurrying because it was raining when I was loading and I blew it

• tz666
    Ha autocorrect got me again

• NPHuskerFL
    Face Plant!  Forgot the MM. Shoot!  Well enjoy your trip anyhow. Nice MAPP sear :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    I travel with mine almost weekly when as I'm working a fair distance from home. I flip small section of the back seat in my GM truck and put it in with dome handle facing out.  It fits perfectly on the flat part of the floor, and the carrier handle wedges easily under the seat back.  First couple times I travelled with it, I took out all the guts, wrapped in towels and put in the back seat.  I also ratchet strapped the egg in.  Now, it just goes in loaded and no strap.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    Looked at the MM specifically to take camping, but it is just too heavy for my failing back. Will have to stick with the little Smokey Joe.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Looked at the MM specifically to take camping, but it is just too heavy for my failing back. Will have to stick with the little Smokey Joe.
    Bought one but wife can't lift her half and I can't do the whole thing. So most trips the Mini goes. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NPHuskerFL
    @Mickey & @epcotisbest when I don't have a second hand I admit the MM physical size is very deceiving when it comes to weight. I can physically manage maneuvering it but, it is most certainly easier with two people.  We're very happy we have this for our 2nd egg.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    @Mickey & @epcotisbest when I don't have a second hand I admit the MM physical size is very deceiving when it comes to weight. I can physically manage maneuvering it but, it is most certainly easier with two people.  We're very happy we have this for our 2nd egg.  
    My friend youth plays a big part in that. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    If I had a bad back I would not mess with the MM.  That thing is a back injury waiting to happen.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NPHuskerFL
    Lift with your legs and use safe lifting practices. That said... I completely agree with Mickey youth helps me. That and lifting mechanical items that easily weigh twice a MM on a daily basis. Hell my tool bag is real close to it. Lifting an egg is different though because of its awkwardness. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I'm active , lift weights etc. The damn thing does a number on my back, it must be its shape because I've lifted heavier for longer with no issues.
    Seattle, WA
  • epcotisbest
    I could almost sell the idea of a second egg for camping purposes, but that idea won't fly just to have another. She says I have four grills and counts the gasser, Smokey Joe, and kettle along with the egg, but the kettle and SJ have not been used in a long time and gasser none since getting the egg. 
    As for the weight, yeah, I have to plead advanced age in combination with multiple back surgeries make lugging the MM as not gonna happen. Now, if I had a beach nearby, I might have to try a little harder. 
  • epcotisbest

Mickey said:
    Bought one but wife can't lift her half and I can't do the whole thing. So most trips the Mini goes. 
    My wife tried to lift the thing herself and I had to make her stop. But she was willing to try. She's about 120, 110 of that in stubborn.
  • NPHuskerFL
    @SkinnyV agree it's not necessarily the physical weight alone that makes it difficult to lift.  it's sort of an awkward displacement to maneuver about. The carrier handles definitely help though. I rather lift it with another person but, if I have to I can manage it myself. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • tz666
    pic i took of my fishing buddy this weekend at our tournament

• NPHuskerFL
    Very cool with the big cypress trees. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Very nice surroundings but I think I'd likely take a bath if I tried to cast while in a boat that size. 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Jeremiah
    That's cool. We used to fish out of one man boats. Lots of fun until a gator swims up beside you. Lol