Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coconut Charcoal in NOVA

Options
Apologies if this is posted to the wrong forum but I thought some of you Eggers would be interested in trying some coconut coal.

I've been cooking on a ceramic smoker (Kamado) for a while and that's how turned on to this stuff.  Problem is this coal is not available locally so the only efficient way to buy it is by the pallet. I've done group buys in the past and they have been a disaster, so this time around I just bought the pallet myself. If you'd like to try some of this coal I will make 1/2 the pallet available at my cost of $27 per 20lbs box.  Pick up only in Arlington, VA.

If you want to read more on the benefits of cooking on coconut these are some helpful links.

The forum isn't allowing me to post links. If you search komododamado coconut coal you'll find it. Nakewhiz has also done a write up on this stuff. Burns clean, hot and it is renewable.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Are you a dealer where I can pick some up?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Hell yeah...this stuff is great!  Someone please PM me!  I want to see this stuff in Texas!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    I ordered 4 boxes recently and LOVE it-  

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    This is a joke, right?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lordhelemt
    Options
    henapple said:
    Are you a dealer where I can pick some up?
    Sorry, not a dealer. Just a guy that bought a pallet to save some $.

I'm in NOVA just outside Washington, DC. Local pick up only.
  • Romain
    Romain Posts: 52
    Options

The forum isn't allowing me to post links. If you search komododamado coconut coal you'll find it. Nakewhiz has also done a write up on this stuff. Burns clean, hot and it is renewable.

Isn't all wood, and therefore charcoal, renewable?  I mean, doesn't it literally grow on trees?  Just saying.  I get that a lot in the building trade where they market coconut, bamboo, cork, etc. as sustainable and renewable and I wonder why they don't say the same thing for hardwood flooring.

Anyways, with that said...I'm in Ashburn and have projects in the Arlington, Fairfax, and Alexandria.  I wouldn't mind trying out a bag or two.  

Romain Nowakowski Ashburn, VA
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited March 2015
    Options

If anyone is looking for a neutral smoke this stuff is for you. Supposedly very little ash also.

I wish I lived closer.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Romain said:

Isn't all wood, and therefore charcoal, renewable?  I mean, doesn't it literally grow on trees?  Just saying.  I get that a lot in the building trade where they market coconut, bamboo, cork, etc. as sustainable and renewable and I wonder why they don't say the same thing for hardwood flooring.

Anyways, with that said...I'm in Ashburn and have projects in the Arlington, Fairfax, and Alexandria.  I wouldn't mind trying out a bag or two.  

If the wood used in hardwood flooring, such as oak, grew as fast as coconut and bamboo your point would be more valid. Not saying your wrong but your not comparing the same growth rates for sustainability.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lordhelemt
    Options
    Romain said:

PM Sent.

Also, I know i'm new here but let me reassure you i'm not here to just peddle some coal. I got burned last time i did a group buy so this time around I just bought the pallet and am offering it at my cost for anyone that wants to try it. I'll use whatever doesnt sell but storing a pallet of charcoal is a bit much. I'm just looking to keep 2 seasons worth of coal.

Now that I've figured out how to post on this board I'll start to contribute as we get into season. If anyone recognizes my avatar you may have saw it at the Safeway BBQ Battle in Washington DC, I competed there a few times as a 1 man team. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  Look forward to your contributions. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX