Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spacers for Egg Bands

Options
NeilTheBeerGuy
NeilTheBeerGuy Posts: 35
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
Hey Mates!
Anyone know where to find the spacers in the "replacing your gasket" Video for spacing your Bands on your Dome?
Mine has a massive under bite and its annoying as raccoon in your garbage can.
cheers
In the Pacific Northwest We cook outside! Year round! 

Comments

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Most dealers have them. Let me know if you can't find any and I'll send some to you. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    any dealer that assembles eggs should have a pile of them. There are different sizes of spacers that are color coded. I'm pretty sure the med and large ones are red and the XL are blue. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I didn't even know they had such things. They didn't when I bought mine in 2009. I just slid the bands as far apart as they would go and tightened the bolts until they bent. Been fine ever since. I actually checked the bolt tightness 2-3 months ago (for the first time). It was fine. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Michael, I believe he means these two pieces of plastic. When slipped over the top and bottom nuts on the hinge and secured in place then they prevent the upper band from slipping over the dome when the bolts are loosened. That slippage is fast and could break a nose or chip teeth. Of course the other way to prevent that is to just move the springs!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ron, I think he means these...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thanks for the correction! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My MM was the first egg I ever bought with them. Don't think that's gonna fix an under bite though.
  • NeilTheBeerGuy
    Options
    Ron, I think he means these...
    Yes these
  • NeilTheBeerGuy
    Options

Most dealers have them. Let me know if you can't find any and I'll send some to you. 
    My local guy I got mine from didn't have any so I guessed.  It's better but not perfect
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

My local guy I got mine from didn't have any so I guessed.  It's better but not perfect
    Notice in the pic above, the bands are not on the ceramics very far. This does help with overbite IME. 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Got anyone doing an Eggfest nearby?  Or a dealer that assembles THEN  delivers????  You can score as many as you want right there!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You can also achieve the same results without the spacers by simply eye balling the position of the bands around the Egg making sure they run parallel all the way around. When new Eggs have their bands start to stretch under heat you will see the bands move and create an under-bite from time to time. My 2¢.  

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• NeilTheBeerGuy
    Options
    I think I I need new bands :-/ 
  • mpaek25
    mpaek25 Posts: 4
    Options
    Anyone have extra spacers for XL? I can pay for them as well as shipping. Thank you!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    mpaek25 said:
    Anyone have extra spacers for XL? I can pay for them as well as shipping. Thank you!
    Yeah just send me an email.....have dozens of them.  No charge.
  • mickhattrick
    Options
    Hi - similar issue here; anyone have extra retainers and spacers for a Large? Happy to pay for them as well as shipping. Cheers!
  • PrivateJoker
    Options
    Anyone have extra spacers for a large?
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I still get 3-4 emails a month requesting these......SORRY, they a LONG gone.  I mailed them all off to folks and we are now a KJ dealer (so no need for them.)

Really no need for them, just snug the bottom band up and nudge it until you see about an 1/8" of green between the felt line and top of band.  Tighten it up, then repeat with the top.