Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More Beef Shorties

logchief
logchief Posts: 1,415
Seeing @Chubbs and other's short ribs the last few days was killing me.  I love them cooked other ways (braised, etc.), they have to be a hell of a lot better on the egg.They just went on with grid temp @ 250 shooting for 5-5.5 hrs.
LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Yessir. I hit mine with some oak and it was good combo. Keep us updated 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • logchief
    I put some apple in with mine, which is what I had other than hickory.  I need to get some oak.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Awesome!

CRAP, I screwed up.  I should have done a dozen of these.  WTF why didn't I do these before.  Thanks to the great cooks and info here for this one.

This is the best tasting thing to come off my young egg so far and will be done again in the very near future, if not this weekend.  Used a rub from a local butcher shop that I've been using on tri tip along with garlic and pepper.  

They were pulled after about 4.5 hrs. and between 195 and 200 depending on the size of the piece.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Looks perfect! :clap: 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Oh hay-ellll yes!  The picture at 03.11.2015 17:08 is :money:!!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Those look amazing......I'll take a dozen.
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Looks like a home run to me :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Dat fork.

Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    You absolutely nailed those ribs!!! I'm in the beef instead pork rib camp, welcome aboard.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • logchief
    Thanks for all the feedback, they sure tasted good.  Definitely more of those coming around here.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    That smoke ring kills
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Home-run right there.  And once you try beef ribs, pork ribs are playing for second place.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited March 2015
    @lousubcap ... that's beef short ribs (from the chuck, plate, or rib primals) you're talking about ... yes?  The "beef ribs" - nest to the spine - are what's left after the butcher has removed the prime rib meat and, for me, they have not been as good as any of the pork ribs.

@logchief ... those look good.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    anyone in Austin know where to buy good short ribs - this kind, not the kalbi cut.
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 479
    @Legume - any HEB or Central Market, just ask at butcher counter for an uncut rack and they'll get it for you from the back
    Austin, TX
  • Legume
    perfect, thanks.
  • Legume
    btw - HEB had some nice sockeye on special a week ago, I wanted to load up but didn't want to refreeze something that had already been thawed and put into the seafood case.  they were great, they grabbed a bunch of nice filets from the back, each still frozen in it's own cryo so I was able to bring them home and go right into the freezer with them without any of the freezer burn problems of repacking and refreezing.