Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No Egg for 18 months!

Rev Jim
Rev Jim Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Most of you do not know me.[p]I have been a proud egg owner in Atlanta for about 8 years. I bought one after traveling the competitive MIM BBQ circuit with L&L Cooking Crew who taught me everything I know about BBQ and the other cookers who swore by the egg as their personal smoker. I posted somewhat regularly, but got away from it, although I come to the site several times a day (yes, a day!).[p]Interestingly enough, I think I know TRex's father who is also a United Methodist Minister and used to fill in for me at Woodlawn UMC in Augusta, GA when I was the pastor there from 90-95! But, I digress.[p]I received orders today to report to Ft. Hood, TX on Monday. I'll be there for several months training with an Aviation Brigade (Chinooks and Blackhawks) before we head to Iraq this summer.[p]I simply want to say how much the people on this site have meant to me. You are truly a community. I have learned so much from you. I'll still be checking the forum regularly, but will be separated from my beloved egg. Other than leaving my wife and three teenagers, that's the hardest part. For some reason I did not feel I could leave without expressing all this to you (my apologies to those who find this maudlin!)[p]What many people do not understand about the egg and cooking is that we do not do it for ourselves. I have repeatedly told people that I cook only for the people I love; it is a way of sharing my appreciation and affection for the people I care about. I cook for my family and friends as a kind of sacrament.[p]So, thanks for being a helpful and supportive community for me for so many years. When I return I pledge to be a more active member. My blessings to you and the folks you cook for![p]CH (MAJ) Jim Higgins
Atlanta

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Rev. Jim,
    Very nice post Sir.[p]I wish you a safe journey (keep your head down, either in constant prayer or to keep from getting it shot off or maybe a bit of both).[p]Godspeed on geting back to your Family and friends and your Egg...in that order please.

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Rev. Jim,
    Very well said. This is indeed a close community and we all wish you a most successful tour of duty and a safe return to your loved ones. Take good care and may the Lord's blessings be upon you and your family......

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Rev. Jim,
    Godspeed. [p]I'm due to go over next Jan. Luckily, us AF guys only go for 4 months at a time.

• MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Rev. Jim,
    THANK YOU for doing what I can't do. At 69 years of age all I can do is pray.[p]God's blessing[p]Howard in Bartow

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Rev. Jim,
    God bless...I pray you'll be home sooner than later.[p]Mike

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Rev. Jim,
    Well said, and thank you for your service to our country. -RP

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Rev. Jim,[p]I appreciate your service to our country. Please let me know if there is ever anything I can do for you. [p]Yours in Christ,[p]Woody54
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Rev. Jim,[p]If you ever get even a short break at Ft Hood, put out a shout. There's enough of us Texas eggers around who would be proud to have you share a good egged meal...or let you loose with their eggs for a fix. I'm in Ft Worth, not too far. Just say when.[p]And thanks.[p]mShark
  • Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Rev. Jim,[p]Thank you for your sacrifice in the name of our country. My wife and I will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. [p]Godspeed and a quick return to your wife, your teenagers and your Egg.[p]Todd and Molly
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Rev. Jim,
    Not sure what to say except thank you.

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Rev. Jim,A Thank You for your service from the Jus-Fer-Fun Cooking Crew. May your trip be shorter than planned. If you learned from Larry and his crowd you need an Egg to go along with you to supply your crowd with some great Q.
    I assume you pastored in the Jonesboro/Morrow area at some time to know that group. Larry has helped a lot of BBQ rookies over the years on the competition circuit,me being one. We may have met if you have done the Big Pig Jig with them.
    Again may we wish you a safe and quick return home. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you.[p]Sam Grogan

• Rev. Jim,
    Stay active on the board over there when you can, and if you come across any Iraqi foods you think will do well on the please shoot us a recipe. Come back soon, we will keep the light on for you. [p]Brett

• Major Higgins,
    While in Texas I suggest you take up your fellow eggers offer and join them for some good eats. Please be safe and come home to your family. God be with you.
  • Rev. Jim,[p]Because people like you do what you do, people like us can waste time here talked about Eggs, cooking, and other nonsense. We don't have to worry about getting shot because our neighbor holds different beliefs than we do. You keep us safe. God bless you and the men and women in your unit. May you all come home to your families safe after a successfull mission.[p]BigDave

• Rev. Jim,
    Good Luck over there! If you see Bin Laden be sure to "melt his gasket"!

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Rev. Jim,
    GL & God bless. Come home safe.
    Cheers,
    bruce

• BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    Rev. Jim,
    Thanks for sharing a deep heartfelt email with us, your family. We are truely a family here. I wish you the best of luck and God's blessings while you are traveling. I also thank you for protecting our country and the sacrafices you are making.
    Thank you so much,
    God Bless You,
    BobbyG

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Rev. Jim,[p]You will be missed around here and elsewhere. [p]Let me offer my most sincere thanks to all of th men and women who serve this great country.[p]and don't forget, be safe and keep your head down[p]Smokey
  • Jake
    Jake Posts: 92
    Rev. Jim,
    Goodluck and Godspeed your trip back home.
    Thank you,
    Jake

• Rev. Jim,Former Ranger Greeting. Take care, we do appericate your sacrifice and the job you do. Please stay in touch and if your familey needs anything let us know. BR

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Rev. Jim, used to be an Egg in Copperas Cove, but my bro up and moved to Nevada. He's a Ret. Fly Boy (C-130) and would've gladly had you over for a couple Egged meals.[p]We appreciate all you guys do...stay safe.[p]As some one said...HOLLER out, there are plenty of Eggs in Tx :)

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Rev. Jim,[p]I can't thank our American Servicemen enough for their commitment and sacrifice for our country.[p]We know you will do us proud! Our prayers are with you and your fellow countrymen in combat to come home safe and successful.[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas