Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Ribeye Roast from Costco - Suggestions?

Options
I have been tapped to cook for the FIL Bday dinner this week. I don't like cooking something for the first time for the in laws but I don't have a choice here. I was looking up different ways to cook this meat. nibblemethis on the reverse sear seems to be a good way to go. http://www.nibblemethis.com/2011/12/reverse-seared-prime-rib-roast.html any other suggestions? or prep? photo A76E76DD-4D22-4502-BC0F-BA91D5D413DB_zpsewk06a4p.jpg

Comments

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I sadly don't know of the difference between a Rib-Eye roast and a Prime-Rib roast (they both sound delicious), but here is a recent thread on a Rib Roast you may get some solid tips from...

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1686651

LBGE/Maryland
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    XLBalco said:
    I have been tapped to cook for the FIL Bday dinner this week. I don't like cooking something for the first time for the in laws but I don't have a choice here. I was looking up different ways to cook this meat. nibblemethis on the reverse sear seems to be a good way to go. http://www.nibblemethis.com/2011/12/reverse-seared-prime-rib-roast.html any other suggestions? or prep? photo A76E76DD-4D22-4502-BC0F-BA91D5D413DB_zpsewk06a4p.jpg
    Used this recipe for a reference and has always turned out awesome.  

Suggest a grilled romaine salad too!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @KiterTodd it's the same thing but some places differentiate a rib roast vs rib-eye roast as bone-in vs boneless, respectively. In the photo above, it's redundant.

OP, the linked recipe is good. I HIGHLY recommend pre-salting the roast with kosher salt(dry-brining) at least overnight. Don't be shy with the salt.

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Cook as a prime rib, or slice into 2" ribeye steaks.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Dry age and then slice into ribeye steaks. But since you don't have time for that, the recipe you mentions above works great. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You can't go wrong with that recipe.  Make sure you tie it up to allow more even cooking. I usually rub them down with a garlic oil mix.  Then I apply a very liberal coating of Monterrey steak seasoning.  The oil helps it to stick.  After the sear, that stuff makes a very tasty crust on the final product. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    ...OP, the linked recipe is good. I HIGHLY recommend pre-salting the roast with kosher salt(dry-brining) at least overnight. Don't be shy with the salt.

I have to try that next time.  My roast was good but not salty enough even though I was liberal before cooking.

So...you salt heavily over night and then rinse it and put on your roasting seasoning?  (likely more salt, rosemary, garlic, pepper)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @KiterTodd I don't rinse but I don't go with quite as much salt. I like Penzey's English Prime Rib Rub but I also add some additional salt and pepper to the roast. I typically cut the salt a bit, maybe 1/4 to 1/3. I pre-salt up to 4 days.

You can probably do it normally. Only the surface will be salty. You could even use sea salt at this step since it won't dissolve like Kosher.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
    thanks for the input !!
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    @Eggcelsior, so you are not just putting salt on it for 4 days, you are putting the rub on it?  (seasoning with salt)

I have used that Penzey's rub on other things, and it is awesome.  Their Chicago steak seasoning is also great.  I recall one of them being excellent in bloody marys...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    @Eggcelsior, so you are not just putting salt on it for 4 days, you are putting the rub on it?  (seasoning with salt)

I have used that Penzey's rub on other things, and it is awesome.  Their Chicago steak seasoning is also great.  I recall one of them being excellent in bloody marys...
    Just the salt for 4 days. I season right before or up to an hour or 2 prior.
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    Absolutely Bookmarked for future use!
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Here is last Sunday's cook, 250/275 indirect with 3 chunks of Apple will DP Cow Lick until 130 than tented for 20 minutes to which it went to 134/135, It weighed 7.06 and feed 8 adults, it was very good! It took about 3.5 hours to roast.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • XLBalco
    Options
    @grillmagic- how big was that? looks awesome. trying to time the cook for tomorrow. just under 5lbs. going to go at about 250
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    XLBalco said:
    @grillmagic- how big was that? looks awesome. trying to time the cook for tomorrow. just under 5lbs. going to go at about 250
    It was 7.06 pounds and I smoked it at 250/275 indirect the whole way through, about 3 1/2 hrs to 128/130 and rested/tented for 20 minutes until it climbed to 134/135, your infor a treat!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • XLBalco
    Options
    thanks for all the tips! came out pretty good! about a 3hr cook. will definitely do again. followed nibblemethis! photo 43FD506E-41F6-44F3-9651-0EFF06F5C6A2_zpsp2tqyj3x.jpg photo 61DF788A-1F4A-4A2C-9684-5C50D7236AF0_zpszgt3zasy.jpg