Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short rib help?

Options
I'm doing short ribs for the first time, low and slow. My searches are showing most pull after a few hours and braise. Is this necessary? Advisable? What's the point of low and slowing if we're going to go with a braise? Help!
XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
Sandy

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I always did the low and slow part to impart the smoke flavor. Then braise to get them tender. Then a final hour on the egg to firm the exterior and/or glaze. 

Little Rock, AR

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Agree with the pharmacist. I do mine low and slow for 2 hour to get the smokey goodness working. Then to the crueset to braise for 2 or so. Here's a pic of mine -- right now 2 hrs in. Headed to braise shortly. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Care to share this braise of which you speak?
    Sandy
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I dont know about everyone else but I braise mine in a foil pan with beef broth/stock. 

Little Rock, AR

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    +1 and you can add some Worchestichier sauce to the mix

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Braise pic below. Vidalia onion sweated in butter. Add lots of rough chopped garlic. A cup and a half plus or minus red wine. Same amount balsamic vinegar. Same amount beef broth. Shake shake shake Montreal seasoning. Glug of pickapeppa sauce. Glug of A-1. Anchovie paste. Boil, then simmer down to rich sauce. Thin with water and boil/summer again. Process took about 1.5 hours. Add short ribs, back on egg and think about which Cab to open when it's ready in 2 hours. (That's where I am right now!)
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Braising optional and not necessary IMHO. It comes to a stew type taste vs. a low and slow ribs type taste. 

I do braise Chuck on the other hand - another GREAT low and slow in the dutch oven.

New Albany, Ohio 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    I'm in the BGE magic camp-do the prep work and let the BGE do its thing.  So, for short ribs I run nekked for the duration which is around 4-6 hours.  As with all things BGE, many roads will get you there, so pick one, note the results and change it up the next go-round. And have fun in Salado!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    I go naked on most things, but I'm partial to shorties smoked then braised for a few hours in the Dutch oven. Fave winter meal around here. Works with lots of flavor profiles -- balsamic or Thai have proved best of all. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    I started them on my parents' L and had the fire go out. There is such a huge difference between cooking on their L and my XL. Threw them in the DO with Anne Burrell's recipe...we shall see...
    Sandy
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sister I will half answer your question. Why half? I have yet to do short ribs on the BGE. I have always done them either on a wood burning offset or a vertical cabinet over water. That said, depending on your set up a braise is not required 100% across the board. I place short ribs in the same spectrum as clod. They are some of the cuts that I still prefer to run extremely low temps when cooking. I usually run in between 200-225 until they are tender. The internal finish temp varies from 197-202 degrees. Again I have not tried this on a ceramic cooker but the low temp over water in the big units works wonders without a braise. So yes, depending on your technique and smoker you can cook short ribs without a braise. Wishing you good luck and will be standing by for the finale.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• PNWFoodie
    Options
    @SGH I've missed you, my friend. Good to hear from you again. Will post pics when done. It's really weird how different the L is from the XL.
    Sandy
  • SGH
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    @SGH I've missed you, my friend. 
    I have missed you too sister. I have even started to miss cazzy if you can believe that!! However I'm almost done. I should be back in full swing by the week end. Im ready to be cooking again!! 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• PNWFoodie
    Options
    Yeah, that just looks amazing. :)
    Sandy
  • SGH
    Options
    Sister when time permits, try this sauce on beef short ribs. It is outstanding to say the least. 
    Cinderella Sauce:
    1 1/2 cups of ketchup.
    1 cup beer.
    3/4 cup cider vinegar.
    1/4 cup cilantro. 
    3 tablespoons packed brown sugar.
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce.
    2 garlic cloves.
    2 teaspoons cumin.
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground anise.
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
    1 teaspoon hot sauce of choice.

Mix it all together and simmer until it thickens. What it does to short ribs is unreal. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Sister let me add that the above sauce in not one of my own. It is the creation of Bill Jamison. A true BBQ great.

Status- Standing by.