Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Fluffier" pizza crust

Options
Rich G
Rich G Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, all. I finally got around to making my first outdoor pizza tonight. Had a lot of fun with the four year old as she got to make her own pie. The temp settled around 550 or so, and I cooked the pizza (about a 7 incher) for 9-10 minutes. The crust was kinda crispy and the "rim" didn't have much fluff to it. I'm not looking for super fluffly, but this was kinda flat/chewy. So, any advice for a slightly fluffier crust? I was thinking perhaps a bit of a proofing period after forming the crusts?[p]I used Mr. Hyde's pizza dough recipe that Tania posted a while back. I only had time to let it rise in the fridge for about an hour, so I'm thinking that I rushed it a bit and didn't get enough bubble formation??[p]Thoughts?[p]Oh, it was yummy (mine had red sauce, cheese, pepperoni, sausage and mushrooms on it.) :)[p]Thanks![p]Rich

Comments

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Rich G, I use the same dough recipe and cook at 450 with great results. Maybe, the 100 degree difference allows a little more rising in the dough during the cook. As for the time in the fridge--- that seems to make very little difference.

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    Borders,[p]Thanks. I was wondering about the temp. I've seen lots of posts about 500 and 600 degrees, and it seems that if my local pizza parlor cooked my 22" pie at that temp, it would burn before it cooked. I'll back off to 450 on the next one and see how that changes things.[p]Appreciate the feedback![p]R

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Rich G,[p]I suggest you simply form a bigger rim by hand so it will fluff by itself during the cook. If need be make a little more dough. The cook seems to work very well so why change it?[p]Spin
  • egghead2004
    Options
    Rich G,
    I've been using an Italian bread dough recipe, it makes almost Thick pan crust. I can't find mine recipe, but google Italian bread recipes if you are interested. When I find mine, I'll post it.