Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 Egg Lunch-Chuck Roast, New Potatoes & Rosemary Cheddar Cheese Bread

Options
jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited February 2015 in EggHead Forum
You have heard of a three egg breakfast? Well this was a three Egg lunch. We were expecting yet another storm which was scheduled to bring us another foot of snow in blizzard or near blizzard conditions. I moved up my plans so we were eating just before noon time so my guess get home before the worst of it started. The bill of fare this day was: Chuck Roast Crusted with Garlic Salt & Instant Coffee and New Potatoes with Old Bay & Dill from Adam Perry Lang's Serious Barbecue, plus Rosemary Cheddar Cheese Bread from the King Arthur Flour website. My new CyberQ WiFi and the CyberCook software for my iPad took charge if controlling the chuck roast cook for me, allowing me to focus on other prep and the food cooking on the other two Eggs. Onto the pictures...

The spice rub used :Ancho chili pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic salt, instant coffee, lemon pepper, oregano & kosher salt.

There was a flavor paste from prepared mustard & beef bouillon paste. 

The roast was studded with halved garlic cloves.

The roast was coated with the flavor paste and rubbed on all sides.

The roast is on the Egg and the CyberQ WiFi took over the rest of the cook. The CyberCook software was running on my iPad in the Kitchen. Here is part of the CyberCook graph showing the first 2 hours of the session. The downward spike at the 45 minute mark is when I placed the roast on the Egg. The temps dropped 100 degrees, but the CyberQ had the cooking temp back up to 275 in 12 minutes with no overshoot. All of this done without my lifting a finger or making any trips out to the Egg. The Yellow & Pink lines show the two meat probes heading up to the set temp of 105 degrees. The Pale Blue line is the third probe which I used to measure the air temp which was 1 degree when I started and never got out of the low teens.

once the chuck roast was moving along I turn my attention to the Rosemary Cheddar Cheese Bread next. The bread used to similar batters. One added cheddar cheese and Cayanne pepper to the mix in the other added some ground rosemary. The two batters were poured into a baking dish, one on top of the other, and swirled together. The two loaf pans went out to my dedicated baking Egg which had been stabilized at 350 degrees. I use the top shelf of the AR to get the pans up in the dome slightly. With single digit temps, it took about 10 minutes to recover the temperatures after opening the Egg. I ended up having to add that 10 minutes onto the one hour cooking time. In this last shot the loaves are done and are ready to come off the Egg.

Next up were the New Potatoes. I use a oil cover disposable pan instead of making an aluminum foil packet. This makes me feel a little more secure where these potatoes steam in the liquid. The ingredients were new potatoes, cubed butter, fresh dill sprigs, fresh tarragon and water. The potatoes placed on the Egg set up for indirect grilling at 375 degrees using the platesetter legs up.

The chuck roast was pulled off the Egg when it reached an internal temperature of 105 degrees and was placed on two sheets of foil. A wrapping sauce made from melted butter and honey was poured over the roast which was then wrapped in the aluminum foil. The roast was taken to 115 degrees and then was returned to the Kitchen to rest in the foil while the temp of the Egg was raised to 350 degrees.

After the Egg reached 350 the roast was taken out of the foil and returned to the Egg to cook to 135 degrees.

The roast was placed on the cutting board which had been doused in EVOO plus fresh flat lear parsley, fleur de sel & black pepper.

Time to Eat. The chuck roast was sliced and then topped with some fleur  de sel & coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley. The new potatoes were garnished with some more dill sprigs. One of the two loaves was sliced into 3/4" thick slices.

This cook was wrapping up when the snows started falling. Here is the scene after the storm had brought us another 12" of snow and blizzard condition.  When people question my choice of roof rafter sizes I would suggest they look at pictures like the two above and I rest my case.

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments