Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT. Need to buy a new car. UGH!

Options
Why is this so difficult for me?  I need to buy a new-to-me car in a few months as my daughter will be turning 16 and I've promised her my car.  

I can't help but feel like a lot of car salespeople try to take advantage of the female buyer.  I'm sure The Man (boyfriend) will help and go with me but it will ultimately be my decision.  I guess I just don't know where to start and how do I know I'm getting fair deal.  
I mean, I know to look at Consumer Reports and KBB but what else do I need to know?  

My other issue is that I'm in grad school and won't finish til 2016.  I don't make a lot of money right now but will nearly double my salary next May when I graduate.  What I really want is a new version of what I have but they are really pricey.  I'm driving a 2003 Acura MDX.  Thinking about possibly looking at the smaller RDX.  I need something to haul my bike around too.  

Help!  Where do I start?  
meredith
Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,164
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am a big fan of: www.edmunds.com

Good info on prices and realiability. Aside from that I am not much help. I have bought 12 cars and a motorcycle and still dread dealerships. I do all my searching and pricing online. Then take quotes to dealers for final sale.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Run the car through CarFax. If it's been in an accident or maybe in a flood, it should show up there. Flood damaged cars show up everywhere after a storm. They're shipped away from the flooded area so unsuspecting buyers get screwed. If you're near the flooded area, chances are you might look for flood cars and avoid them.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,164
    edited February 2015
    Options
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/10-steps-to-buying-a-used-car.html

Research is your friend. After you make a descision and buy the car stop looking and enjoy it.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My sister got stuck with a flood car and it sucked. Electronics were screwy.
    Flint, Michigan
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

I suggest talking with your daughter... even when she turns 16 she will have a couple months (at least) until she gets her license.  If you really want a certain type of car and your situation will be better next year perhaps she will be understanding. 

I don't know teenage girls so I don't know - but I do know that "settling" on a car now will always feel like settling... waiting a year and being able to reward your hard work from Grad school will be huge and you won't be stuck with something compromised on.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• travisstrick
    Options
    Carfax is only usefull if it says the car was damaged or wreaked. If the carfax is clean, it means nothing. The car could have been in 19 wreaks and totaled twice but the carfax just doesn't show it.

Go to a dealer you don't plan on buying from. Ask to see the most experienced salesman. Offer him $100 to review the deal from a different dealer and to help you along the way.

Source: I used to sell cars.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    @Mickey may be able to give you some advice. LISTEN TO WHATEVER HE SAYS.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Edmunds is a great resourse.  

Why not just opt for a little lesser car, say Honda, instead of Acura.  Then when you get a new job, you upgrade.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

Consumer Reports can never steer you wrong. The library has copies so you do not have to subscribe. Note that dealerships have changed, I bought my Subaru Forrester from a saleswomen, young lady about 29-30 or so. I really liked dealing with her, no issues on the gender.

Don't take this wrong, I dealt with many men also and there has been a sea change in attitudes, IMHO. I did not think I was treated wrong or taken advantage of at any time. More and more households rely on women's earning power, to discount them is foolish if you want to make a sale.

I agree with the others, price online and get an idea what the cars are going for in your area. Acura's are pricy cars, have you considered other reliable brands that are comparable?

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,784
    Options
    i would look for the bargain right now and wait til you have the money to buy what you want.ive been driving the same vehicle for 26 years now, i paid too much but still havent found anything i want more.
    :D lots of the outdoors types up here that i know seem to be buying second hand honda crv's as the price verse what you get seems reasonable and the people i know seem to like them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Coming from someone who has been in sales (not cars) my whole career, research your car and go to the lot knowing what you want and the average value of the car. Have a dollar figure in mind and tell them this is my price and will not go a penny more. Ask for the carfax report to look at history if that car and try to buy a certified pre-owned if going used route. Once the car is selected and you agree on price the guy will go to his manager to discuss. They may counter slightly higher than you agreed on but be strong. They will work with you some but be strong and don't be afraid to walk away if they won't meet you (within reason). When it comes to paper work, be careful about the extended warranties. Say for example you know you can afford a $300 a month car payment and they agree to this they will then try their damnedest to sell you an extended warranty to recoup some money. Stick to your guns and decline unless you are a reckless driver, bad luck finds you etc. good luck and remember the salesman needs you more than you need him. Be respectful and I am sure you can work it out. If you have cash, disregard the second half of this, tell them your price and tell them you have cash. Good luck
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options

Edmunds is a great resourse.  

Why not just opt for a little lesser car, say Honda, instead of Acura.  Then when you get a new job, you upgrade.  
    I have entertained that idea.  I just hate the idea of going through this process twice.  I just hate dealing with the bank and then dealer.  

@BigWader My daughter has already been driving my car and loves it.  She is short like I am - shorter even, and finding a car that doesn't put us up too close to the steering wheel and driving like a T-Rex is hard to find.  My car fits her well.  

And yes, I've considered less pricey cars.  I've owned 4 Honda precepts (2 Acuras and 2 Hondas) and 2 GM products.  By far, my Acuras have been the superior vehicle.  I'm still looking tho.  Just hate this whole process of shopping, test driving, haggling.  UGH!!!  I need a drink! 

Eat, drink and be merry

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Do not negotiate based of monthly payment - you will get your wish, but they will screw you on financing.  In other words, never say "I can only afford $____ per month".
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am not a fan of pre-owned cars/trucks. I agree you may wish to hold off till you can get her a new Corolla that will last her thru her grad school. The pricing is so much easier as you can pick up a couple of Metro news papers or look online and get a reasonable price range. I bring up Corollas as they are the number one selling car in the world, that and I sold them for 44 years (they are tough). 
    I think much better is give her your car and get you the new car.......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

To add to what @chubbs said - you can give yourself an out... go to the dealership with what you have in mind/want but go with 1 to 1 1/2 hours before close.  If you are negotiating and they keep you there and you aren't comfortable - you have an out - the place is closing, I have to pick my daughter from work at 9 etc. 

When I bought my truck in the fall after 12 years with the same old one I found it was good to go to a couple dealerships - you don't have to work with the first sales person who you speak with... but you can learn from each dealership a bit about how much negotiating room is in a particular model. 

I've also found, when the sales manager comes to see you when you have negotiated through the salesman you are close to their best price.  Not always true, but if your ready to leave and the sales manager is asking you directly what it takes to make a sale - you are in the zone.

Good luck!

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    BigWader said:

I suggest talking with your daughter... even when she turns 16 she will have a couple months (at least) until she gets her license.  If you really want a certain type of car and your situation will be better next year perhaps she will be understanding. 

I don't know teenage girls so I don't know - but I do know that "settling" on a car now will always feel like settling... waiting a year and being able to reward your hard work from Grad school will be huge and you won't be stuck with something compromised on.

The setling part is very true
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I sold cars for two years. I can try to help.
    What is your budget? Is your credit score good? What do you want, feature wise, and what do you need/minimum you want? Are you set on a certain brand or opposed to a certain brand? Where are you located in USA? How many miles a year do you drive? Do you do anything specific where you need a certain type of vehicle or where one won't work? Like car/truck/etc. Are you in vehicle a lot or just normal work drive for most part?
    Boom
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I also hate buying a car. I haven't bought one in several years. I live in the boonies a long way from all of the dealerships. We have had Suburbans forever. The last couple of times I bought one I called about 5 different dealerships and told them what I wanted and to give me the best price on it. 

I also told them that I was calling other places, and the guy with the best price would get my business. 

It may not be the best way, but it has worked for me. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Chicklet
    Options
    @fanOfFanboys  
    I'm not in my car a lot. Don't be jealous but I drive 1.2 miles from my driveway to work three to four days a week.  My 12 year old MDX has less than 140k miles on it.  I do a few out of town weekend type trips for soccer tournaments or races - could be local, could be a 500-600 miler. 
    I have always been very comfortable in my Honda products.  I've tried to like the Toyota Highlander and the Honda Pilot but I just don't like them for me.  The price is good but I just can't!  I do triathlons so I would probably prefer an SUV but I can throw a bike rack on a trunk if I have to.  Plus, I can always drive the MDX when I need to go to a race.  (that realization may actually help me decide what to get for now) 
    I would really like to have Bluetooth or at the very least, an MP3 connection.  I'd also like leather seats and a 6 cylinder.  
    Recently went through a divorce and my ex hurt my credit some so I think it is probably "average."  I have been trying to rebuild a little this past year.  
    thanks for your help! 
    m
    Eat, drink and be merry

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I had not bought a car/truck in over 30 years. Had to buy 2 a year ago at retirement. I know all the secrets and ins ant outs. I know all the costs. I hated it. Welcome to the club
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    @chicklet
    Good info, thanks
    So honestly you don't seem very materialistic or that a car is a status symbol to you. That is awesome. You seem to like to get a quality vehicle and use it for a longer period of time. Very awesome. Your needs/wants are minimal. 
    From a cost perspective you are probably better served to get a car. The extra cost from gas, insurance, and higher cost of vehicle for the SUV/crossover you only need periodically might not be worth it. You can decide. 
    Unlike you I drive a lot, about 30K miles a year and that'll go up this year to 35k or so. 
    I went from a Sierra to a Jetta TDi. I thought I would hate but did out of necessity because of mileage. Man, I freaking love this car. I average 40 MPG, runs off diesel so can expect a long life from engine, tons of torque, I have heated leather and sunroof and backup camera and bluetooth. My Sierra had Bluetooth and this one works much better. It is very quiet, not like some think when idea of diesel comes in. And I have average credit too and I got 0% interest. 
    For you I might would recommend the VW Golf. It is versatile, especially for your lifestyle. Get the diesel and you can run it for many years. Long interval oil changes (though most vehicles are these days) and the cost of mid-20s you can get very well equipped, fun to drive, surprisingly good storage, economical vehicle. 
    I would test drive. I was not open to it until rode in a friends. 
    If you hate that let me know and I can help out with more ideas. 
    If you like any Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles let me know and I can tell you how to get 1% below invoice plus all rebates with zero haggle. 
    Boom
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Have you checked into the cost of insuring your daughter on a vehicle where she is the principle driver?  If not, that should be considered.  To you, she might be a sweet, careful, mature, almost adult ... but, to the insurance industry she's a terrible risk and they price accordingly.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• johnkitchens
    Options

Have you checked into the cost of insuring your daughter on a vehicle where she is the principle driver?  If not, that should be considered.  To you, she might be a sweet, careful, mature, almost adult ... but, to the insurance industry she's a terrible risk and they price accordingly.

My 16 year old is going to get his license in the morning. I don't like the idea of him driving, but I know I have to deal with it. 

• Chicklet
    Options
    @FanofFanboys  I actually have considered the VW - Passat and Jetta TDIs.  I'm not a fan of the Golf really.  Cute, but not my style really.  I like the idea of driving a car for a while and I know I can with that diesel.  Those are definitely on my radar.  

SO much to consider.  Whatever I buy, I can give to my daughter in a year or two to take with her to college and then I can get something "fancier" if I want it.  I have just loved my Acuras.  I have a service guy that I've used for years too.  He's also a cyclist and loves that I drive to drop my car off and ride my bike home and back to pick it up.  Silly, I know but we have a great relationship and another reason I'm loyal to the Honda family.  

@Jeepster47   I have considered the insurance thing.  Since the car is over 10 years old, it will help with the cost.  I'm hoping that since I'm giving her the car, he dad will pick up the insurance tab.  We'll see.  

Eat, drink and be merry

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My daughter loves her Civic. If you're going to pass it down to your daughter I'd consider it. Should last her through college and into her 1st job. We bought baby girl's for $12k...28000 miles. Just like new. Now it's full of Starbuck cups and Dasani bottles.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @johnkitchens ... yep, unless you want them in your basement till you die, parents have to live through, dating, driving, and a bunch of other things that scare the hell out of you.  At least with today's vehicles (anti-lock brakes, air bags, etc.) it's a safer enironment while the little darlings work through their Mad Max phase.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Chicklet said:

@FanofFanboys  I actually have considered the VW - Passat and Jetta TDIs.  I'm not a fan of the Golf really.  Cute, but not my style really.  I like the idea of driving a car for a while and I know I can with that diesel.  Those are definitely on my radar.  

SO much to consider.  Whatever I buy, I can give to my daughter in a year or two to take with her to college and then I can get something "fancier" if I want it.  I have just loved my Acuras.  I have a service guy that I've used for years too.  He's also a cyclist and loves that I drive to drop my car off and ride my bike home and back to pick it up.  Silly, I know but we have a great relationship and another reason I'm loyal to the Honda family.  

@Jeepster47   I have considered the insurance thing.  Since the car is over 10 years old, it will help with the cost.  I'm hoping that since I'm giving her the car, he dad will pick up the insurance tab.  We'll see.  

@chicklet
    Those relationships are certainly important. I would drive the new Jetta/Passat. Obviously Passat is bigger but I found the Jetta to be plenty for my needs. And hit sweet spot for price for me. A lot of features for price and VW knows diesels. The best thing is to go drive one. And not a 20 minute test drive. Take it for a couple hours. Run errands, drive your work route, etc. Be comfortable with blind spots, handling, etc. and then can eliminate or keep based on that. 

I am sure you know this but ideally get pre-approved from the bank you use prior. So can eliminate that before going in. And don't discuss price or anything until after you decide you want vehicle. Since no trading that saves a step. Once you decide you want you have advantage over dealership because 1) you are pre-approved 2) you have driven and know you want/like it 3) you can buy it anywhere 4) they know you are serious. How much you want to negotiate is up to you but in past I generally say "I will buy it for invoice plus rebates right now" and walk for anything else. You know you can go to any dealership and buy and they are already invested in you and know you are serious. Just let them know it is not a negotiation but that it is only price you will buy it for. If you want can say 1% below invoice plus rebates but they may or may not go for, depends on dealership. I like that route because it is simple, fast, clean, and waste no one's time. You get a fair price, dealership gets their holdback, and neither of you spent half a day or more sitting in an office going back and forth over pennies. For some people though they enjoy that back and forth; to each their own. 
    Boom
  • GrillinSailor
    Options
    My wife drives an Acura and it's been very dependable. I do feel like every time we take it to the dealership for maintenance (her choice for everything except an oil change) I get raked over the coals.

I prefer Infiniti, but that's based on technology and comfort more than reliability.

For what it's worth...
  • johnkitchens
    Options

@johnkitchens ... yep, unless you want them in your basement till you die, parents have to live through, dating, driving, and a bunch of other things that scare the hell out of you.  At least with today's vehicles (anti-lock brakes, air bags, etc.) it's a safer enironment while the little darlings work through their Mad Max phase.

My son just got a truck for his birthday from my father in law. 

It is a fully restored 1987 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4. My son helped in the restoration process so he is very protective of it. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You're getting a lot of consulting here for free, which is great! This is another option. This guy writes on an autoblog I frequent and is a great resource. He basically charges you to do all the leg work for a vehicle. You say: " I want this type of vehicle, with features A,B, and C for this price". He calls around to dealers in your area to find a car to match your need and get you a price in writing. That's huge in this game. He will even do the negotiating for you. You're spending 250 or 500 for his services but he is able to get pretty good discounts on vehicles that make it worth it.

Another option, if you are a Costco member, is their Auto Buying Program. They contract with a list of dealerships for specific maker. You select the car you want(Acura MDX) and they send the info to the contracted Dealer(Bob's Acura). You are giving a name of a specific person that will contact you and when you arrive, they show you a list of Costco-negotiated prices on that vehicle. This may not be the absolute lowest price you can get, but if you despise haggling, it's great. I used it for my Audi. I got a loan from my credit union for up to the MSRP, picked the car on the website, went to the dealership and looked at the price. I checked the Costco price to the True Car/Edmunds average and then said "okay" and signed some documents. The only questions outside of "what color?" was do you want an extended warranty and do you have financing?". The whole process took 65 minutes, including the test drive.

True Car is another nice website to use.