Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

VERY OT: where to stay @ some National Parks

Need info please. Looking late June, July, early Aug to see Glacier Nat Park, Yellowstone Nat, Crater Lake.
Linda and I, possibly 15 year old Granddaughter.
Looking for nice ideas of where to stay. Thinking will need resv's soon.
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Well, I don't know if you'd like where I stayed :

Glacier - in the backwoods and also a van off two medicine. Mosquitoes are pretty bad.

Yellowstone - in a van overnight. Should have stayed much longer but was ready to go home.

Crater Lake - can't remember the camp ground, just remember pissing some guy off by being too loud.

Banff is Stinking nice too if you're going to Glacier you're not all that far. Lake louise is really nice.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,457
    Waterton National Park, the Canadian side of Glacier, has an old, grand hotel just north of Waterton which is wonderful, can't remember the name but a search will find it immediately.  Highly recommend spending some time there, I've photographed baby bighorn walking up and down the streets, and had elk walk up to me so close I couldn't focus on them.  Wonderful place!
    Glacier US didn't have any good places nearby, but its been awhile for me, I'll let others recommend.  
    Wilson's Yellowstone River Motel isn't fancy, but if you get a "rear" room, your back porch overlooks the Yellowstone River with fantastic views.  West Yellowstone has many cheap places, but isn't in a very scenic area.  
    Have fun and POST PICS!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Sure, just rub it in.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,157
    Yellowstone is a big place. I'd recommend splitting up time there to minimize the driving. We stayed inside the park as well as in adjacent towns like Gardiner and West Yellowstone. Mammoth Springs/Gardiner is good on the north side and West Yellowstone has a decent amount of lodging and food options. I can't wait to go back. Went to Banff and Jasper NP in Alberta this past September. Wildlife galore and jaw droppingly beautiful
  • DoubleEgger
    edited February 2015
    Chillin' at Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Headed there myself. I found lots of places already sold out. Good luck!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

Sure, just rub it in.

Hey I'm @Mickey‌. ..anyone know where I can bed 4 playboy bunnies?....smh
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DoubleEgger
    Banff/Lake Louise area is worth it for sure
  • I have been to Yellowstone 5 times, but it has been a long time. I stayed in the main lodge many times and cabins near the main lodge other times. 

I would love to take my children there. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • @Mickey.  When ur going to Crater Lake, try Ashland or Medford. Stayed in Ashland many years ago in route to Crater Lake. Can't remember the hotels but there was some decent ones right along I-5. That is one beautiful lake. Enjoy.
    We rode motorcycle through Glacier and camped out there.
    Also as already suggested, your should take in Banff and Lake Louise. If you are in Banff, and want a cool meal go to "the grizzly house" for a hot rock fondue. They have one meal on the menu where you can sample different types of wild meat, elk venison, and a few other types of meat. Really worth it. Enjoy your trip. Do you need anyone to carry your bags?????
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    We'll keep the light on for ya.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Banff/Lake Louise area is worth it for sure

Moraine Lake! The first time I went there back in the 60's, we stayed at a campground there. Then in the 70's, I worked there for a summer job. Finally took my wife there in 2004 and we stayed in one of the cabins. My favorite place on the planet.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    @Mickey, if your planning to travel thru Yellowstone first, I suggest going thru via Teton National park. Likewise, if your visiting Yellowstone last, I recommend exiting thru the Tetons. No recommendations on lodging, but the Tetons are a must see.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DoubleEgger
    I ran into the matriarch grizzly bear on a trail at Lake Morraine. 10 yards away! Scary stuff.
  • stemc33 said:

@Mickey, if your planning to travel thru Yellowstone first, I suggest going thru via Teton National park. Likewise, if your visiting Yellowstone last, I recommend exiting thru the Tetons. No recommendations on lodging, but the Tetons are a must see.

+ 1 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Prince of Wales hotel in Waterton is awesome.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Agree on GTNP, we actually enjoyed it more than YNP. There is a breakfast boat excursion at Colter Bay Marina that goes to an island through some of the most beautiful mountain scenery anywhere. The breakfast is marvelous and worth every dollar. Be sure to take your camera. Personally I would not again stay at Colter Bay Cabins as it was a little too rustic for my wife. The lodge might be fine but I cannot vouch for it. Jackson Lake Lodge and Jenny Lake Lodge appear to be a bit more upscale, but I only visited those did not stay there.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • When in glacier make sure you go to polebridge mercantile. Awesome pastries and a cool location.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    We stayed at Jackson lake lodge in the Tetons and loved it. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Going through the Tetons - +2
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2015
    Love to have you visit north of the 49th, Loonie is only worth about 80 cents US right now, so even those Texas greenbacks go much further. 
    Gardiner for Yellowstone is our favourite, everything from Motel 6 to Mammoth Springs Hotel, we've done both. Lots of saloons and pub grub places mixed in with a couple of good eateries. 

Waterton is a nice place, the Prince of Wales is top notch (2 years ago).
    If you have not seen it and everyone has passports, 95 north through the Rocky Mountain Trench then to 93 and across to Banff is the most scenic mountain drive I've ever seen, Sinclair Canyon is awesome, great hotels in Fairmont and Radium. Lake Louise is a fantastic place, that time of year, lots of places to stay. 

Crater is best served by any of the hotels near I5. 

Enjoy!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I worked at St. Mary's Lodge on the eastern entrance to Glacier back in the 90's.  Haven't been back in years and they have new owners but it's a nice hotel and has everything you need.  Many Glacier Hotel inside the park is beautiful if you can get a reservation.  Just thinking about it makes me want to go back!!!    

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA