Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Side Dishes

Options
What are your favorite sides to do on the egg?

I am comfortable doing meats, but I really struggle with sides, both ideas and execution.
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    One of the easiest is one of our favorites. Cut a zucchini in half lengthwise. Soak cut side in balsamic vinegar for 30 min or so. I just do it whole I prepare other stuff. Grill meat side down at whatever temp you cooking and pull when warm through out. Gets softer cooked longer, but I like some crunch. Cut into "fries" to serve.
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    My wife usually takes care of the sides but I love making quinoa with chicken stock and different seasoning like thai green curry, turmeric, my all purpose rub.... Just whatever mood I feel. My buddy makes skillet make in cheese in his CI on his egg. I need to get that recipe to post on here.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Grilled romain is an easy and good one
    Greensboro, NC
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Got to be asparagus and brussell sprouts at our house.  I'm still working on an Egged mac'n cheese recipe.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Given all the choices, my favorite would be the pan of chopped potatoes and veggies (the veggie membership varies but always includes onions and garlic) cooked under a spatchcock chix.  The chix does a great job on the flavor profile, independent of seasonings.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Asparagus for me too.  Plus corn on the cob for about six weeks out of the year.  
    I also love portobellos on the Egg, but its usually the main course.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,042
    Options

One of the easiest is one of our favorites. Cut a zucchini in half lengthwise. Soak cut side in balsamic vinegar for 30 min or so. I just do it whole I prepare other stuff. Grill meat side down at whatever temp you cooking and pull when warm through out. Gets softer cooked longer, but I like some crunch. Cut into "fries" to serve.

Thanks for the idea. I grilled some zucchini soaked in balsamic for dinner. I will do that again for sure. I reduced some balsamic vinegar to use as a sauce on them. Excellent.

I finished dinner off with some grilled bananas. Sprinkled some lemon juice, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Grilled for about 2.5 minutes. They were good but desperately needed some ice cream of which I did not have.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    i bet that'd be good with some Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head. Imma try that right now. Stand by.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Asparagus has already been mentioned a couple times now so lets make it 3 mentions now! The thing I like to do is to make simple "rafts" out of the stalks like this using toothpicks. Then you can move them easily. Sometimes I just lay them to the side and sometimes just lay them on the meat I'm cooking depending on the temperature. I mist them with EVOO and hit with S & P or a DP rub. Aways delicious but also always simple.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Yep. Sweet with a touch of heat.

• RRP
    Options
    Oooops - sent too soon... another favorite side dish is Keri's Hog - Apple Baked Beans - always a wowser for less formal meals like pulled pork and pot luck affairs. Got to run now, bit I can post the recipe tomorrow if you want it.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    RRP said:

Oooops - sent too soon... another favorite side dish is Keri's Hog - Apple Baked Beans - always a wowser for less formal meals like pulled pork and pot luck affairs. Got to run now, bit I can post the recipe tomorrow if you want it.

Please do. When you get a chance.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

Yep. Sweet with a touch of heat.

You were smarter than me. I sliced them to thin. I lost one through the grates. I think thicker would be better. Better flavor profile with hot outside and cooler inside. Next time I might chill them first too.
  • RRP
    Options
    Please do. When you get a chance.
    Here you go . KERI’S HOG-APPLE BAKED BEANS

Microwave 8 pieces of bacon, save grease, dice 4 of them for this dish
    2  28 oz  cans of Bush’s Original Baked Beans – do not drain
    ½ c Blue’s Hog Sauce or your favorite BBQ sauce
    3.0 cups of pulled pork chopped fairly fine
    1 21oz can of apple or cherry pie filling – dice so no large chunks
    1 med onion, chopped
    ½ green pepper, chopped
    ¼ c brown sugar
    2 T Worcestershire
    2 T yellow mustard
    ½ t chipotle or cayenne pepper
    1 t Blue’s Hog dry rub or your favorite dry rub

Sauté onion and green pepper in the bacon grease. Mix all the remaining ingredients in a cast iron Dutch Oven stirring thoroughly. Bake in BGE indirect at 325° dome using plate setter with legs up and some spacers for air flow for 1 hour with NO lid on the DO.

Source: via thirdeye on 10-24-07. Originator was someone named Keri C, smoking on Tulsa Tim

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'm just lazy.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I know I'm late to this, but my favorite side has got to be mac n' cheese.

Here's a good starting point:

I usually put a pan on with whatever I already have going in the egg. Timing depends on temp. The recipe is 400* for 30 minutes or so. At typical 250*-275*-ish temps I find 2 hours or so works about right.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Another easy one is to cube up some potatoes.  Cube some taters with some onions, garlic, and a little seasoning.  Give them a head start on the egg.  Raised grid with chicken over the taters.  Winner every time.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    I love half-grilled potatoes.  Basically, I scrub then bake the taters until they are done.  Slice them lengthwise and brush with melted butter and some Lawry's or whatever seasoning I can reach in my cabinet.  I put them meat-side down on the grill.  I serve them with a little sour cream.  
    I've done this with sweet potatoes too with good success.  

I also do twice baked potatoes and grill up some zucchini and yellow squash when in season.  With the squashes, I just cut them lengthwise and spray some olive oil and sprinkle with Crazy Jane's Mixed Up Salt (just a tad) and then grill.  I've also chopped them up and  grilled in a veggie basket too.

Roasted red potatoes are also a favorite of ours.  I just cut them into quarters and put in a ziplock bag and pour some EVOO over them with some Crazy Jane's and some coarse crushed rosemary.  I mix that up and put in a grill basket and roast until tender.  

If you are looking for non-grilled sides... Our favorite side is orzo and spinach.  I just boil up a cup of orzo until tender.  Then drain off most of the liquid and add a little chicken stock then add a bag of baby spinach with some Crazy Jane's.  I steam that until the spinach is tender then add some parmesan and mix well.  

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the ideas. Defintely bookmarking this.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited January 2015
    Options

My sides are usually kinda simple since I'm not always that well organized with my cooks.

Sweet potatoes cut into wedges or slices, asparagus, zucchini all turn out good drizzled with olive oil and any rub of choice.

Corn wrapped in foil, with a squirt of spicy mayo and DP Pineapple head is always a hit.

Spaghetti squash, acorn squash, and pumpkins have also been well- received.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JonWesson
    Options
    bump
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Tom Hanks Forrest Gump GIF - TomHanks ForrestGump Wave - Discover
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    🖐