Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another batch of loin bacon

2»

Comments

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Great looking bacon guys.

I'm going to throw my hat in the loin conversation here, because the loin muscle has quite a transformation from one end to the other.  If you look at Canugghead's packaged pictures, the change in the bacon is vast.

On the one end is the Sirloin - usually sold as a roughly 2.5lb roast.  I like to tie these for small 'hams'.  They are of medium, even marbling.  

From there, you get center loin and center rib cuts. The loin muscle is very lean with a small handle of fat and much smaller muscles on the handle. Rib chops typically have a band of darker muscle surrounding the loin - not unlike a thin deckle.

Then, there is the rib end.  As far as loin bacon is concerned - this is where mama keeps the cookies.  The loin and other muscles are much closer in size with good intramuscular fat.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    TonyA said:

Great looking bacon guys.

I'm going to throw my hat in the loin conversation here, because the loin muscle has quite a transformation from one end to the other.  If you look at Canugghead's packaged pictures, the change in the bacon is vast.

On the one end is the Sirloin - usually sold as a roughly 2.5lb roast.  I like to tie these for small 'hams'.  They are of medium, even marbling.  

From there, you get center loin and center rib cuts. The loin muscle is very lean with a small handle of fat and much smaller muscles on the handle. Rib chops typically have a band of darker muscle surrounding the loin - not unlike a thin deckle.

Then, there is the rib end.  As far as loin bacon is concerned - this is where mama keeps the cookies.  The loin and other muscles are much closer in size with good intramuscular fat.
    Great comments Tony. Obviously you have more than a passing interest in meat cuts. Sort of by accident I followed your description with the first cuts taken used for lunch s this week like ham and subsequent slices getting more marbled for breakfast meats. Next time I will try and get chops from the middle section and save all the rib end for breakfast bacon.

I can't wait for Eggs Benny this weekend

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

@Canugghead - here is the recipe that I followed. 

4 quarts filtered water

1 Cup white sugar

1 Cup Brown Sugar

3/4 Cup Sea Salt

2 oz. Cure #1 (Pink Salt)

6 Fresh Thyme Sprigs

2 Fresh Leafy stems Tarragon

6 Garlic Cloves Smashed

1 small cooking onion chopped coarsely

1 Lemon quartered and juice squished into brine

6 Bay Leaves

1 tbsp. pickling spice

1 star anise broken

2 tbsp. whole peppercorns

1 tbsp. juniper berries crushed

1 1/2 Tablespoons whole Allspice

2 Tablespoons Whole black Peppercorns

8 # whole pork loin

I boiled the everything in 2 quarts of water then added the remainder to chill it down before putting in fridge the night before I tackled the meat

I injected the loins all over with strained brine to ensure a full cure in 7 days.  The pumped loins went into the brine and were weighted down for the week.

I test fried a piece on day 7 and felt it didn't need to be soaked to remove salt.  It sat about 30 hours in the fridge before smoking.  It took 6 hours to smoke at 200 (I bumped the temp to 225 after 4.5 hours and 250 after 5.5 hours)

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,456
    Thanks so much @BigWader for taking the care and trouble to share, it's bookmarked.  
    canuckland