Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fire grate question

Options
So, just bought my brother a large egg from an extremely pleasant gentleman named, Lee. I found it on Craigslist.

It was priced right so I had to get it. I am upgrading the fire grate and have a question.

On my eggs I have the high que grate. It goes for $33.

Does anyone have experience with the fishbones fire grate? It is a bit cheaper. Or maybe the fire grate that looks like a honeycomb pattern? Just for kicks.
Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...

Comments

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have the high-que and it works very well on my large and medium.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Very happy with high-cue on Large and Mini.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    Options
    high que openings are a little too big for me.  I ended up getting the honeycomb as well and now I use the two grates together which is perfect.  if I had to do again I would just buy the honeycomb
  • MadcapMagician
    Options
    What is this honeycomb you speak of??
    1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    The fishbones is similar to the High Que.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Almost anything is better than the BGE OEM grate. The High-Que allows great air flow, some are concerned about the small chunks dropping thru. It's OK as they will simply ignite in the bottom of the fire box. 
    IMO, just like a wood stove, leave some ash in the bottom. The ash will insulate the ceramic from the burning lump. Fire grate spacing has no effect on lump usage as the overall airflow is determined by the lower vent and DFMT. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I got one for Christmas and like the air flow, only draw back I've found is that you have to be careful when stirring up left over coals it has a tendency to flip up and all your $h(t ends up in the ash box below and you have to straighten it all out.  

Maybe it's just a lame operator, we'll see.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Another alternative is to buy him the Kick Ash Basket ... I've been using mine without the OEM grate.  Not as much metal, so it probably won't last as long as the Fishbone or High-Que, but it breaths well and does make clean up easier.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Am I alone in being satisfied with the OE fire grate? :-?? I haven't had issues airflow wise due to it. I keep it clean and on long L&S even before the Stoker as long as it was mostly clean I was golden. And going hot quickly for searing or pizza hasn't been a obstacle. I get the reasoning for the upgrade I just don't see the benefit for me personally.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ I with ya brother. The only thing people tout on the high que that I may like during the week is coming to temp quickly. I'm a single egg household and it's a large so sometimes the natives get restless, of course, they know what's coming so they're willing to wait. :D
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Am I alone in being satisfied with the OE fire grate? :-?? I haven't had issues airflow wise due to it. I keep it clean and on long L&S even before the Stoker as long as it was mostly clean I was golden. And going hot quickly for searing or pizza hasn't been a obstacle. I get the reasoning for the upgrade I just don't see the benefit for me personally.
    I don't feel I ever had problems with my OEM grate, but I upgraded to a Kickash basket, as it:
    A) will make it much easier to remove lump for when I want to use the A-Maze-N smoker.
    & B ) was a reasonably priced Xmas gift I could request from the wife.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @theyolksonyou‌ is it really that much faster on a large? Now that I have the MM it's crazy quick at getting hot fast. Couple that with lighting them with a torch it's all good. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @theyolksonyou‌ is it really that much faster on a large? Now that I have the MM it's crazy quick at getting hot fast. Couple that with lighting them with a torch it's all good. ;)

:-?? Just what I read. I light with a torch too, sometime takes a while (to them) to get hot and stable. Im thinking I'll know about the mm speed inside the next 9 months >:)
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    I like my mo grate i have medium egg and it dosnt take to long to come up to the temp i want and when it comes to cleaning not  to bad
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I too have and like the original grate.  I like the hole size (smaller than a dime) but there could be more of them.  (I have a 2009/2010 model XL)  I have no problem getting up to temp in a reasonable amount of time. I light using a weber chimney. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    logchief said:

I got one for Christmas and like the air flow, only draw back I've found is that you have to be careful when stirring up left over coals it has a tendency to flip up and all your $h(t ends up in the ash box below and you have to straighten it all out.  

Maybe it's just a lame operator, we'll see.
    Damn man. This has happened to me no less than 89 times. I tell myself every time don't lift up the f#%*ing grate and it happens. Glad I am not the only one
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    I think someone around here put some carriage bolts on their high que fire grate to keep it from tipping while stirring.

I really don't like the OEM grate, except for the weight.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...