Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best CCW - OT

13»

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I carry at all times (except at work on US Army base) If you see me, I have a gun on me. Please be aware that most folks who claim to CCW or whatever normally do not have a gun on them. The whole point is to be armed. 

What causes most people most of the time to not have their gun on them is comfort. The critical dimension on a gun with regards to comfort is width. The thinner the gun, the more comfortable to carry (and hide). 

I have carried many different guns. The only one I end up keeping on me at all times is the Kel-Tec PF9. It is .88in thick. The Glock by comparison is 1.28in thick. The difference is HUGE! I had a Glock 26 (subcompact 9mm) for a few years but I found that I left it at home most times. 

I carry one of 3 ways. IWB (inside the waistband), shoulder holster, or fanny pack. (pics to follow)

The Kel-Tec PF9 is a 9mm that holds 7+1. it is super light and very thin. You can get them from $250-300. Kel Tec is a great company. Made in Florida and will absolutely fix any problems you have. They stand behind their product.  
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
  • travisstrick
    I've owned 3 different PF9's. They are great. that is a custom made holster by THIS GUY he does great work for not much money. ($50 or so)
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Glock 42. All day every day.
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009

my wife has a .380 LCP..my edc is a Ruger .357 2" w/custom paddle holster..

Kimber at home..and my next will be a Glock 26 (even though I don't like them..they are remarkably reliable)

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Practice with the 9mm, carry the 45.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    I have carried a little 22 Magnum in my pocket for years. People laugh because it is so tiny, but it is still a 22 Magnum!image
    I used to have that exact CCW.  I put it in my luggage for a trip and it was stolen out of my car years ago.  I miss that thing.  This makes me want another one.  

I think my SO carries a Shield.  It may be something else this week but I know he has one and I have shot it a few times.  The reach is shorter on this but even with long fingers it has a nice pull.  I am a Sig girl but I'm considering this one for my CCW too.  

m
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Chicklet said:
    I have carried a little 22 Magnum in my pocket for years. People laugh because it is so tiny, but it is still a 22 Magnum!image
    I used to have that exact CCW.  I put it in my luggage for a trip and it was stolen out of my car years ago.  I miss that thing.  This makes me want another one.  

I think my SO carries a Shield.  It may be something else this week but I know he has one and I have shot it a few times.  The reach is shorter on this but even with long fingers it has a nice pull.  I am a Sig girl but I'm considering this one for my CCW too.  

m

Those used to be pretty dangerous to CCW.  A lot of people had negligent discharges when it fell out of their pocket and landed on the hammer.  I don't know about the other companies, but NAA employed some version of "half notch" and/or a system where the hammer straddles the cylinder.  Good deal since even though the manual used to say "DO NOT CARRY LOADED", people did anyway.

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    I've carried a Glock 27, S&W .40 for years when I go to Fred Flintstone's stomping grounds or Sagnasty. I have run many brands of factory and reloads including my own( upwards of 8000 rounds) and  never had a hiccup.
    Some may say they have a sloppy fit---I say it will always fire when needed. It has no safety other then keeping your finger off the trigger.  
    Go to a range on a regular basis and have fun.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    @stlcharcoal I only carry it with it the hammer straddling the cylinder. I wouldn't put it in my pocket without doing it. 

I know a guy that does not do that (he does now) and he took it out of his pocket while he was getting undressed. It hit the floor and fired. It grazed his upper thigh and barely missed the twins! 

It scared him to death. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    It takes an awful lot to be able to cc here.Open carry is illegal, and our ban list gets bigger every year. SMDH
    :-q image
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    @anton‌ sorry for you guys behind enemy lines...vote them out.
    Jacksonville FL
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Dobie
    I'm trying, every election.
    [-O<
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Hey @weekender - how NW GA are you? I have a a very good friend that runs a range down just south of Atlanta in McDonough. Great rentals and a huge selection to shoot with! I'll hook ya up if you want to come down!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

•  
    Hey @weekender - how NW GA are you? I have a a very good friend that runs a range down just south of Atlanta in McDonough. Great rentals and a huge selection to shoot with! I'll hook ya up if you want to come down!
    @DaveRichardson - Thank you so much for that offer.  I am about 2 hours from McDonough, but may travel there on occasion for work.  If I know I will be in the area I will certainly take you up on this.  I would love to know the name of the range as there is one in that area in which I have looked at for some training.

Northwest GA, Large BGE (w/Nest), Plate Setter