Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ho 'bout them Packers

No ......sorry guys not packer as in a brisket..

Big Green Bay

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Good to see the refs get it right.
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Go Colts

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566

What goes around comes around.

FWIW I wouldn't want last weeks to call to go against me any more the that call today.

The lights are out in Dallas.

Go Birds.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    A lifelong Eagles fan who was happily rooting for the Pack today!!!
  • Correct call by ref, Lions lost to the Bears on same call in 2010...aka the Calvin Johnson rule.
  • EGGjlmh said:
    Go Colts

Blasphemy! Let's go Broncos!
  • Also an Eagles fan, happy to see the packers move on. My 7 year old daughter asked me who I'm rooting for, I said it's the packers and the Cowboys... she responded, oh so you're rooting for the packers! ;) 
    Aurora,OH
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Not a Cowboys fan, but how can that be a rule? I believe the ref got the call right, but how can a receiver make a catch, come down with the ball, and while taking his third stride, and stretching for the end zone have the ball come loose and that not be a catch? At least the Cowboys conspiracy will die, but that's a rule that needs to be readdressed.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited January 2015

Correct call by ref, Lions lost to the Bears on same call in 2010...aka the Calvin Johnson rule.

Raiders lost to Chargers on MNF week 1, 2009, with the same rule.

My point is not that i want that rule called the Louis Murphy Rule, but that rule has been stupid for 5 years. Lol
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    If you watch the replay closely it was hit by the defender causing him to readjust when they were both on their feet. I think if he catches it cleanly they would have had a harder time overturning because he would have made a "football move" before the ground caused the ball to move
    Greensboro, NC
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Maybe they thought, well, the boys shouldn't be here anyway. Let's send em home.

I hate the cowboys, but I thought it was (or should have been) a completed pass. They didn't check with me though.

Go Pack!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    @Greeno55 it's "completing the process of a catch" or something like that. No matter how many steps they take, they have to maintain complete control all the way to the ground. Bryant didn't which was completely obvious when the ball hit the ground as he was pinning it against his chest. It would have been one thing if he took 2 meaningful steps and tried to extend for the goal line, but he was basically falling down the whole way so he didn't make a "football move". This was completely hashed out when it happened to Calvin Johnson in 2010. This was nearly identical.

The rule is dumb, but it's a rule and the refs correctly interpreted it. Reminds me of the delay of game rule for the puck going out of play while in the defensive end.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Here is the rule in writing.
  • Greeno55
    @Eggcelsior - That's exactly my point. The rule takes the talent away from the athlete. Packers fan or not, that was a catch, and a hell of a catch, but ultimately a catch. Dumb rule ruined an outstanding play. Oh well, as I said, not a Cowboys fan. I am a little angry all this good football is stealing the spotlight from my Bills who hired Rex. Dammit, did I just admit to being a Bills fan, and dammit, is Rex Ryan our head coach now?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Eggcelsior
    Greeno55 said:

@Eggcelsior - That's exactly my point. The rule takes the talent away from the athlete. Packers fan or not, that was a catch, and a hell of a catch, but ultimately a catch. Dumb rule ruined an outstanding play. Oh well, as I said, not a Cowboys fan. I am a little angry all this good football is stealing the spotlight from my Bills who hired Rex. Dammit, did I just admit to being a Bills fan, and dammit, is Rex Ryan our head coach now?

But it wasn't a catch. The ball hit the ground.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Greeno55 said:

That was an absolutly amazing grab. If he would have had control of the ball it would have been mind blowing and a Dallas win. Not a pretty win for the Packers. Dallas gave away enough earlier that the last call should not have been an issue. Seattle will not make the same mistakes. Pack better step it up. Go Packers...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Eggcelsior your wrong it was a catch..... he took 3 steps
  • Greeno55
    But it wasn't a catch. The ball hit the ground.

but that's my argument, it should have been considered a catch. My issue is with the rule, not the call.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited January 2015
    So, I'm an unfortunate die-hard Raider's fan.

So, regardless if the call was good or not, I'm glad the Cowboys lost.  When I was in the USAF, the Texans I encountered taught me to hate all things Texas.  I also had a roommate New Yorker who taught me to hate all things New York.  It's funny, when a Californian is stationed somewhere not in Calif, everyone seems to hate Calif and feel the need to bash those who come from CA.  But when stationed in CA, no one from the other 49 states seems to want to b1tch about being in CA.

Can't root for the Bronco's as they are a nemesis and I hate it when my good friend from Colorado calls to rub another Bronco's victory over the Raider's, so Go Colts!

I don't like Seattle because they played dirty politics trying to steal the Kings from Sacramento, so I'll be rooting for whoever is playing against the Seahawks next week.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Yeah!!! Go Packers! Now finishing off a beer can chicken on the Egg! Great day in WI! Go Pack Go!

Appleton, WI and Baileys Harbor, WI (Kangaroo Lake)

Grilling and smoking meat year around (even in Frozen Tundra temperatures); tasting and brewing beer - like bourbon and whiskey too; fan of the Green Bay Packers

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I love Dallas and Green Bay both. I did want Dallas to win though. 

I also love Seattle and Denver! I can't stand the Patriots so I will be okay in the Super Bowl either way. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Eggcelsior
    yogi84 said:

Eggcelsior your wrong it was a catch..... he took 3 steps

I know he took 3 steps. He didn't have control of the ball.
  • bcsnave said:

No ......sorry guys not packer as in a brisket..

Big Green Bay

Great day in Wisconsin!

Appleton, WI and Baileys Harbor, WI (Kangaroo Lake)

Grilling and smoking meat year around (even in Frozen Tundra temperatures); tasting and brewing beer - like bourbon and whiskey too; fan of the Green Bay Packers

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Congrats to the Packers.  Good game - what little I was able to see... 

(there is no coulda,woulda,shoulda... there only is - deal with it.)
    ----
    a Cowboys fan.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Good luck with da Hawks.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Zmokin said:
    So, I'm an unfortunate die-hard Raider's fan.

So, regardless if the call was good or not, I'm glad the Cowboys lost.  When I was in the USAF, the Texans I encountered taught me to hate all things Texas.  I also had a roommate New Yorker who taught me to hate all things New York.  It's funny, when a Californian is stationed somewhere not in Calif, everyone seems to hate Calif and feel the need to bash those who come from CA.  But when stationed in CA, no one from the other 49 states seems to want to b1tch about being in CA.

Can't root for the Bronco's as they are a nemesis and I hate it when my good friend from Colorado calls to rub another Bronco's victory over the Raider's, so Go Colts!

I don't like Seattle because they played dirty politics trying to steal the Kings from Sacramento, so I'll be rooting for whoever is playing against the Seahawks next week.
    OK, I want to clarify.  I no longer hate all things Texas, but my early learnings still affect my opinions on sports.  I will say I have been to Texas on a few business trips and the hospitality I have encountered has been wonderful.  My business experience dealing with a customer in upstate NY is they were very nice and reasonable.  But as for NYC being the greatest city in the world, well, let's just say, the bigger the city/metropolitan area, the less likely I am to like it.  So while I love CA, I'm not a fan of L.A. or S.F.  Big city living is not my cup of tea, but I love the Late show with David Letterman, even if he is a liberal.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Go Packers!

Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Good win for the pack today. Cowboys would have gotten crushed had Rogers been healthy. The call was correct-as much I i didn't want it to be. Ballsy call, almost had it- that's football. Rogers has no chance next week against that Seahaws D. His injury does not really play in to the hands of Dallas D. They don't pressure the qb anyway. Not the case in Seattle. As much as pulling for the Packers next week (they are my 2nd favorite team and the only team I have pulled for in the playoffs the last decade since Dallas is always out), it's going to be ugly with him hobbling around like he was today. That's next week though, Im sure I have some very drunk and very happy friends in WI tonight.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009

@The Cen-Tex Smoker

Even though the call was legal..it doesn't make it right. Don't get me wrong, I am glad the Packers got the call but I do not agree with it. For all intensive purposes he made a nice grab.

What is a "Football move"?..isn't that stretching out and making a grab?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Eggcelsior
    bcsnave said:

@The Cen-Tex Smoker

Even though the call was legal..it doesn't make it right. Don't get me wrong, I am glad the Packers got the call but I do not agree with it. For all intensive purposes he made a nice grab.

What is a "Football move"?..isn't that stretching out and making a grab?

Football moves occur immediately after a catch to establish that it was a catch. Jumping into the air and tumbling to the ground and not fully securing the catch is not a football move.