Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak au POIVRE

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
OK - I admit it this wasn't an egg cook since from start to finish it's a flash and needing undivided attention so not worth firing up the egg. With all the butter, whipping cream and cognac this makes for one fine meal! WooWoo!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    =P~ looks delicious Ron
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    All my favorite ingredients mixed together. ..what could be better
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    imagehuh...the picture got stripped off and I can't repost it now either...weird!!!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I love steak au poivre!! Tried once or twice but did not like the way I made it. Would you mind sharing the recipe?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    edited January 2015
    Options
    caliking said:
    I love steak au poivre!! Tried once or twice but did not like the way I made it. Would you mind sharing the recipe?
    Glad to!

STEAK au POIVRE

RRP's adaptation of Alton Brown’s 2005 recipe on Food Network

Ingredients:

Sirloin or Ribeye steaks

Kosher salt

Pepper corns & grinder

1 T of butter

1 tea EVOO

1/3 cup plus splash more Remy Martin cognac

½ cup heavy cream

Directions:

At least 4 hours before mealtime Jaccard the meat and salt with kosher salt. Wrap or bag the meat so according to CI the salt will draw out the moisture in the meat, melt the salt and then re-absorb the salty moisture.

Then 2 hours before mealtime remove the wrapped meat and place on the counter to come to room temperature…a rack will allow air to circulate.

Grind fresh peppercorns so there are 30 grinds per side. Use back of spoon to press into the meat.

In medium skillet over medium heat melt butter and EVOO until they start to smoke. (#6 on our stove) and place meat in the pan and cook for 2 minutes and then flip for 1.5 more minutes. Quickly remove meat to a plate and tent it.

With skillet off the burner add the 1/3 cup cognac and carefully light it with a long match. Gently shake pan until the flames die. Return the pan to the burner on medium heat and add the cream. Bring the mixture to a boil and whisk until consistency makes it stick to the back of a spoon, which will take about 5 minutes. Add back a splash of cognac and return steaks to the pan.

Spoon the sauce over the meat and serve. Incidentally “Burgundy Mushrooms” is a delicious side dish!

• Double Bogey
    Options
    WOW!!! I can only imagine how great that thing will taste.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • RRP
    Options
    For the very first time I served it last night with baked potatoes with butter and sour cream plus a Caesar salad and that really made a terrific meal!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Much appreciated @RRP :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    Options
    I wish PhotoBucket or somebody would quit screwing around with my picture!