Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash Basket Owners - Questions

Options
13»

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    tisoypops said:
    @AUCE‌, thats crazy you still have that much lump left the next morning on a 12 hour cook when only filled to the top of the firebox. Maybe that's just because you have the xl, and therefore the volume is much higher? I have an lbge, and my first cook was ribs at 225-250, lump to the top of firebox and I burned through all the lump in 4 hours and had to finish in the oven. Granted I didn't notice whether I had a bunch of voids or anything, but still. Huge difference between that and the results you've had

definitely something is wrong here. Your large egg will do 24 hours at 225-250 on a load of lump. Either the thermo is way off or you went nuclear when lighting it and burned up 2/3 of the lump or you didn't fill as much as you think. 4 hours at 250 on a large is not possible. I would investigate.
  • Jonathan1970
    Options
    Just saw this accessory on Facebook and immediately came here for reviews. Thanks for all the good comments. I have been looking for my next great accessory.
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    I'm liking it... thinking about an order this weekend

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• pgprescott
    Options
    The basket is awesome! Go for it you won't regret it.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    It must work pretty decent if they are on back order
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I can't believe how small the kick ash basket is when placed in the egg. I thought it might cover some of the fire ring but it's just the fire box. I'm kind of disappointed how little lump you can add into the basket. (It will hold more lump then in the picture but just used this to burn off any initial gunk) I'm hoping it will grow on me
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Just add the lump. When it burns down, you shake it and then add some more. Just bend your thinking a little. Trust me.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @WeberWho?‌, looks like it's perfect for the average cook. I wonder how it works during a long cook? Maybe someone can chime in and include pics.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • MadcapMagician
    Options
    Out of stock for the XL till February
    1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • WeberWho
    edited January 2015
    Options

Just add the lump. When it burns down, you shake it and then add some more. Just bend your thinking a little. Trust me.

@pgprescott‌ I don't understand why it's not taller for longer cooks and less times having to fill it up. I'm hoping for the best.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've used it on average and long cooks ... no pictures though.  I'm using it without the OEM grate.

The unexpected plus is that the egg breaths better ... like others have commented on the High-Que grate improving the burn.  The second plus is that, as advertised, it's easier to clean out the egg.  The hard part is to ignore the basket when filling the egg for a cook.  I fill to the top of the fire bowl for average cooks and to the bottom of the plate setter for long cooks ... both fills cover the basket.  But, when the fire burns down, the basket does emerge from the lump and works as advertised.

Like @WeberWho?, I expected the basket to cover at least to the top of the fire bowl.  I think that Chad stopped it there to prevent any interference with the fire ring.  If it was tapered to the top of the fire bowl, then it would be closer in diameter to the fire ring and the handles would have to be bent inward.  But, another two or three rings higher looks like it would improve the design without any interference.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• WeberWho
    Options

I've used it on average and long cooks ... no pictures though.  I'm using it without the OEM grate.

The unexpected plus is that the egg breaths better ... like others have commented on the High-Que grate improving the burn.  The second plus is that, as advertised, it's easier to clean out the egg.  The hard part is to ignore the basket when filling the egg for a cook.  I fill to the top of the fire bowl for average cooks and to the bottom of the plate setter for long cooks ... both fills cover the basket.  But, when the fire burns down, the basket does emerge from the lump and works as advertised.

Like @WeberWho?, I expected the basket to cover at least to the top of the fire bowl.  I think that Chad stopped it there to prevent any interference with the fire ring.  If it was tapered to the top of the fire bowl, then it would be closer in diameter to the fire ring and the handles would have to be bent inward.  But, another two or three rings higher looks like it would improve the design without any interference.

@Jeepster47‌ So when you cover the basket doesn't the small pieces of lump fall between the basket and the fire box?

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    Options
    WeberWho? said:

@pgprescott‌ I don't understand why it's not taller for longer cooks and less times having to fill it up. I'm hoping for the best.
    Fill up the fire box past the top of the basket. The lump will burn the same or better than before. Just put the basket in the egg and then fill the coal exactly as before. My initial reaction was the same as yours, but realised after using it that the tall sides are not needed.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @WeberWho? ... the clearance seems to be small enough that not that many fall in the crack.  I think most of the ones that fall into the crack get hung up going down the side and then burn up during the cook.  I've pulled a couple out of the ash at the bottom of the egg and thrown them back into the basket when cleaning up.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    @Jeepster47, you explained it perfectly, thanks.  
    @WeberWho?, Yes, small pieces can fall between the basket and firebox, just as small pieces can fall through the OEM grate and a High-Que; they just burn like everything else.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @WeberWho?‌ I find that the tolerance is tight enough that barely anything falls between the basket and firebox.

I fill mine to the top of the fire ring for L&S cooks and have no issues. Give it a try, you'll be pleased. When I first got it I only filled the basket up, but I never did a low and slow (12+ hours). Now I don't worry about it and just fill it up - it's just an egg, don't over think it.

Skip
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • WeberWho
    Options
    RedSkip said:

@WeberWho?‌ I find that the tolerance is tight enough that barely anything falls between the basket and firebox.

Skip

@RedSkip‌ That's good to know. I really want it to be something that gets used. I'm not trying to dog it but more curious on how it works. Thanks

Minnesota
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Didn't read the whole thread. Has the horrendous name of the product been discussed. Man that's bad.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Cool, mine is supposed to be delivered tomorrow!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Options
    Will it work with the spider from CGS?
  • WeberWho
    Options
    kcw said:

Will it work with the spider from CGS?

@kcw‌ Yes

Minnesota
  • Karst
    Karst Posts: 2
    Options
    Like to have one for my mini (hey…they have a basket for it…) why not a mini can…