Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie with a few questions

Options
Hey everyone! I just recently purchased a large egg. I have had it now for a couple weeks and have had some successful cooks including wings, burgers, steaks...pretty much everything I would cook on my gasser. Like most new egg owners I had a ton of questions but have had many of them answered by browsing the forum...so I finally decided to join so I can contribute. Everyone on here seems great! I'm going to take a leap this weekend and try to smoke a pork but. After everything i have read it seems like that is a good place to start. Any tips would be much appreciated. Ok here are some questions.... 1. I have a place setter is there any thing else I need for my cook this weekend ? 2. I would like to use either apple or hickory. After I light the egg, at what point do I add the wood? Do I add it when lighting or add it when I get the egg temp stabilized? 3. I think I have temp control down pretty well. The only trouble I have is when I have the temp stabilized and start cooking and open the lid to flip or check food, I close the lid and come back and my temp is higher than what is was when it was stabilized. Is this normal? 4. Does anyone recommend any must have accessories or gadgets that will making my life easier for future cooks? Right now I have a place setter, cast iron grid and a cheap thermometer Thanks in advance and I look forward to contributing to the forum
Marysville, OH

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Put a drip pan under the butt. 

Once the fire gets going the bottom and top vents should be about the width of two quarters - should settle at 250 and lock in.

You can add chunks when you light or add chips at the corners when the lump is lit. 

Be patient with the temp. Put the butt on and don't worry about the temp. Dial in the two quarters and wall out in 20-30 minutes and you'll be locked in, 

Search "the stall" at 160-170 on the forum,

Butts are the most fulfilling and easiest cook on the Egg. 

Enjoy! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Oh ya, but Bear Claws and Potatoe Rolls for leftover sandwiches. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Welcome. Use a drip pan, can be disposable foil pan, but make sure you have an air gap between it and the PS. Use foil balls, washers whatever. I like apple with pork, maybe some pecan or hickory, but lean toward apple, you can certainly mix and I do. I add when I load the lump and stir it in. Some folks layer by hand. 3. It's normal for temp to jump around when you open the dome. Don't look at your butt for a long time. If you're lookin, you ain't cookin. 4. By an instant thermometer either Thermapop or thermapen depending on budget. I also like my maverick 733 to monitor temp during a low and slow. It's sacrilege, but I started with a cheapo from academy the only beeped when the temp was close and it worked fine. I crashed my table and it died in the crash so I bought the maverick when it went on sale.

don't jump in on accessories until you decide what you like/need.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited January 2015
    Options
    1 - remote thermometer would be nice but not absolutely needed. It lets you know the meat IT temp of the meat and grid temp with opening the egg to check it. Purely a luxury.
    2 As you fill you egg with lump put the wood in mixed in with the lump in layers. This way you will have constant smoke rather than just an initial burst then it's gone. BTW no need to soak your chips or chunks.
    3 - totally normal because you are introducing more oxygen to the flame. If it is truly a stabilized fire it will eventually go back to your stabilized reading
    4 - I would look into a good quick read thermometer, something like a thermapen or a therma pop. Either will work fine depending on the budget you want to spend. I would also look into a way to go raised direct (cooking direct at the felt line). This can be accomplished by using firebricks,a homemade raised grid with 4 bolts and a weber grid,a woo or an Adjustable Rig for multi level cooking. I would suggest to figure out you cooking style before going hog wild on accessories so you figure out what will work best for you.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    Congrats on the new egg! Plate setter than drip pan and finally the grid. You might want to ball up some tinfoil and place it under the drip pan at four different spots to create an air gap so the drippings don't burn. Can't go wrong with apple or hickory and I throw in chuncks once it's stabilized. A remote thermometer like the Maverick is nice to have on the long cooks. Good luck and have fun.!
  • BigGreenGator
    Options
    Your temp climbs when you open the lid and introduce more oxygen ... If you keep your vents in the same position it will creek back down to where you had it ... But like it was said earlier as long as your 220 - 300 your gonna be fine it's all about the internal temp ... Adding wood is a personal choice I usually wait until the white smoke has dissipated and then add my smoke wood at that point I know the smoke coming out is from the added wood ... Agree with the drip pan ... Either wood would be fine I like apple .... Sounds like you got everthin you'll need enjoy and have fun ... Pics when done :)

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

I have nothing to add except  - welcome aboard.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    It can take quite a while to "stabilize" temps. How long are you waiting before adding the food? As others have said the temp will go back to where it was after closing the dome. Good idea to put some kind of spacers between your drip pan and platesetter too.Foil balls, copper plumbing fittings or ceramic feet

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jtrivers87
    Options
    It can take quite a while to "stabilize" temps. How long are you waiting before adding the food? As others have said the temp will go back to where it was after closing the dome. Good idea to put some kind of spacers between your drip pan and platesetter too.Foil balls, copper plumbing fittings or ceramic feet

I usually wait at least 20 minutes before adding food
    Marysville, OH
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Yes, welcome to the forum.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    All good advice. We will be here if you need us
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos