Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

An Army of Geese

Don't ask me how this happened, but I am being gifted 8 geese which will be dropped off at my house this weekend. I'm going to deep fry a couple, but am hoping folks here have some good tips on smoking one (or more) on the egg.  I know they are pretty fatty, so a big drip pan, but otherwise, I haven't found much in terms of rubs, brines, internal temp (165??) or smoke times.  Any help would be much appreciated.

XL BGE, Washington, DC

Comments

• I'd assume crosshatch cut the skin on the breasts like duck to help excess fat render out.  Not sure about geese flavor profile so cannot offer much more there.
    Pentwater, MI
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Looks like you want to smoke one, but I have a recipe for "WildFowl" Kabobs that is killer.

2-3 Tbls - Montreal Steak Seasoning (McCormick GrillMates or other brand will work)
    2-3 Tbls - Garlic Powder (DO NOT use garlic salt. See reason below.)
    2-3 Tbls - Greek Seasoning (I find it in a Yellow can @ Wal-Mart)
    1/4 Cup - Olive Oil or Veggie Oil
    1 Bottle - Steak Sauce (A1 or other brand. I use the Wal-Mart brand with a blue label.)
    1-3 LB - Duck or Goose breast (For kabobs, cut into 1" chunks)
    1 - Large Onion cut in to chunks
    1 LB - Thick cut bacon
    1 LB - Whole Button Mushrooms, cut in half
    10-15 - Bamboo Skewers, soaked in water for 10-20 min

***Warning*** DO NOT soak your duck or goose in salt water for this recipe. The Greek Seasoning and Montreal Steak Seasoning contain plenty of salt. The end result can be too salty.

Mix dry ingredients, oil and steak sauce in a large bowl. Add meat to bowl and coat with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, turning at least twice during this time. 
    Load skewers with meat, onion, bacon, and mushrooms so that the skewers are 1/2 full. Save remaining marinade to baste kabobs.
    Heat grill to medium or medium-high heat. Grill 15-20 min, turning every 5 mins to prevent burning.  Internal temp on the meat should be at 155-160.
    An alternative is to use apple chunks for the mushrooms.
    I have not done these on the egg yet, but were killer off my gasser.

I also have a recipe for Corned Goose also if you are interested.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • Wild geese or farm raised?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Hopefully they're from up north or the Midwest. I'm pretty sure the Canadian Geese that hang out here in FL by ponds etc wouldn't taste as good as that latter. I've had it but, it has been years. As I recall they are sort of greasy even when baked or broiled like duck «««if not properly prepared»»».
    Are you eating the wings, breast, legs (everything)? I have some recipes in some old family books if your interested.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    8 Geese is more like a squad (geese) then an Army :))
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Cut chunks add jalapeno and wrap in bacon- soak in italian dressing and then grill till bacon is crispy. We call them goose poppers and they are really good
    Greensboro, NC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Don't ask me how this happened, but I am being gifted 8 geese which will be dropped off at my house this weekend. 

Sure they are not contra-band? LOL Out here many places would kill those pests if they knew they could get rid of the bodies! Ever walk a formerly nice lake area after those sh*t spreaders violate a lawn, beach and grounds? LOL - Laws in some parts of the country like ours give them more protection than humans!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    cook861 said:
    8 Geese is more like a squad (geese) then an Army :))
    @cook861 ... technically, since they are not flying, the eight of them would be a gaggle of geese. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited January 2015
    I wrap mine in lots of bacon. Smoke till done, eat the bacon and feed the geese to the dog. :P .....

but then again I don't like duck either. I am a quail, pheasant, and dove man myself.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Are you having a plucking party.? I would breast them out
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    We harvest a few hundred a year in our group. Lots of jerky and lots of sausage. I don't generally roast or smoke them, just breast them out and cook to med rare.
  • Nice looking pup . spaightlabs
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Jeepster47 since they are flying they should be a flight  not a squad flight is a airforce for (squad) and yes a gaggle is right.lol
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I'm going to deep fry a couple, 
    Im glad to hear this. Most folks think I'm crazy for deep frying goose. A good buttermilk marinade over night followed by a hot deep fry is about my favorite way to eat goose. Looking forward to you results.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Are you having a plucking party.? I would breast them out
    Gee, that reminds me of a song...

The Goose Pluckers' Picnic  (1953)

http://www.jazz-on-line.com/a/m3u/DH494153.m3u
    =))
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • And how did you find that uncle Fred. Love it
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    edited January 2015

UrbanForestTurnings said:
    And how did you find that uncle Fred. Love it
    Novelty music is a hobby of mine.

A few more, in the same vein that you might enjoy...

The Korn Kobblers - Don't Give Me No Goose For Christmas, Grandma (1948)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBgiaVcCFSw

and

I'm Gonna Give My Girl A Goose for Thanksgiving
    https://archive.org/download/BennyBell/BennyBell-AGooseforMyGirldouble-entendrepartyrecord.mp3
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • SGH said:

I'm going to deep fry a couple, 

Im glad to hear this. Most folks think I'm crazy for deep frying goose. A good buttermilk marinade over night followed by a hot deep fry is about my favorite way to eat goose. Looking forward to you results.

Turned out great. Moist and tender, with a nice crisp to the skin. I think I'm with you @SGH‌ , deep fried goose is the way to go.

XL BGE, Washington, DC

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Well, I find myself in familiar territory. Eating my words.

I have a few geese to prepare. @TastyWilbur‌ how did your geese turn out?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited January 2015
    Old school home econ teacher taught me a pretty good trick for geese that manages the high fat content rather well. Poke the skin with a sharp BBQ fork all over especially where you see fat deposits. Using a big tall pot, fill it a little less than half full and bring it to a boil. Submerge the goose in the hot water for about 5 to 8 minutes. Then pull it out and wash it off. you will see an awful lot of fat on the water in the pot. It renders  pretty quickly and escapes through the holes you made in the skin. Following this procedure, smoke, grill, as you see fit. You will have a lot less fat but still have enough to give your goose a nice flavor. I found this technique reduces the number of flare ups significantly.