Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sushi, Udon, Seared Ahi, Yakitori, cool new rig setup, and fun sauces- by centex

Options
2»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    And I grew up eating steak and taters for the most part. I am by far the most adventurous eater in my family. 5-6 years ago I was all about bbq and grilling steak. I probably cook one steak a month now and only do bbq 4-5 times a year and that's always for someone else. I rarely eat very much of it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I was wondering what those green seeds were. Thanks for the intel, will check them out next time I'm at Central Market.

Was the sashimi grade fish fresh or frozen? We used to make sushi at home when we lived in Chicago, because we had a great source for fresh sashimi grade fish. Have not really looked for it too hard in Houston, but that may change.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @caliking‌ where was your source for fish?

Centex that is some inspiring grub! I like that idea of trying something new once a month. I'm smoking some beets now as a trial - if they stink I'm blaming you ;)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:

I was wondering what those green seeds were. Thanks for the intel, will check them out next time I'm at Central Market.

Was the sashimi grade fish fresh or frozen? We used to make sushi at home when we lived in Chicago, because we had a great source for fresh sashimi grade fish. Have not really looked for it too hard in Houston, but that may change.

its flash frozen on the boat. They. Have tuna and salmon its in the meat/fish dept here in a center aisle open top freezer. Don't ever eat sushi that has not been frozen (all sushi you eat in restaurants has been by law). These are the same center cut rectangle blocks you See in sushi restaurants.
  • caliking
    Options
    Check. Will look for frozen at Central Market. Thanks!

• caliking
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @caliking‌ where was your source for fish? Centex that is some inspiring grub! I like that idea of trying something new once a month. I'm smoking some beets now as a trial - if they stink I'm blaming you ;)
    We used to buy it from Dirk's. Really good stuff from what I remember (we moved in 2006). I also found http://www.fishguy.com/ while trying to find Dirk's. Apparently the big Asian markets may have it too (H-Mart, Mitsuwa, etc.).

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    True World Foods is based out of Chicago. They are one of the premier sushi purveyors in the US. They sell every premium restaurant and market in the area and across the country. Very strange story behind the company (they are owned by the unification church aka "The Moonies" as I was taught to call them growing up). It's one of the main incomes of the church and keeps them going. They sell awesome fish though so if you don't care about where the money goes, find out where they sell and shop there.
  • caliking
    Options
    Yep. I learned about True World when we lived in Chicago. The Chicago Tribune surveyed 18 sushi restaurants, and 17 were supplied by True World. They also supplied the sushi place we liked in Iowa City when we lived there. They make a lot of money!

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    Awesome cook!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Speechless. Just....speechless. ^:)^

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Very impressive.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    caliking said:
    blind99 said:
    @caliking‌ where was your source for fish? Centex that is some inspiring grub! I like that idea of trying something new once a month. I'm smoking some beets now as a trial - if they stink I'm blaming you ;)
    We used to buy it from Dirk's. Really good stuff from what I remember (we moved in 2006). I also found http://www.fishguy.com/ while trying to find Dirk's. Apparently the big Asian markets may have it too (H-Mart, Mitsuwa, etc.).
    @caliking We used to live near Dirk's, and I remember getting scallops there that were like nothing I had smelled - I wanted to eat them raw!  H-mart is pretty wild.  Great place for lobster and they have tons of fish, most of which i haven't tried.

I'll definitely start hunting for some sushi-grade tuna, hopefully I won't end up in an arranged marriage in madison square garden.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    damn, dat shizzle be off da hook!
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ , prime aged ny strips at heb for 7.97/lb through tomorrow. You may not be a big steak guy, but that's hard to pass up.

I don't like to freeze beef, but at that price I froze a couple.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ , prime aged ny strips at heb for 7.97/lb through tomorrow. You may not be a big steak guy, but that's hard to pass up. I don't like to freeze beef, but at that price I froze a couple.

I still like it. We use it in all kinds of ways. Including steak from time to time :). Thanks, thats a score. I assume you mean 4 points HEB?
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Yes, 4 points HEB.  Happy new year!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yes, 4 points HEB.  Happy new year!
    You too Sumo. thanks for the tip. I'm headed that way later this morning. I'll go grab some.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Son!!!!!!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site