Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shorties

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Plate Shorties
Dizzy Pig Cow Lick
Hasty Bake lump w/oak chunks
250* grid indirect about 6 hours
Melty beef goodness

imageimageimageimageimage
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Yessir, that looks tasty
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    I just licked my iPad. I'm not proud of myself.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks like brisket on a stick!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    A yabba dabba do time, a dabba do time....
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    @ DMW do you have to foil at all to get fall off the bone tender or the 6 hours unfoiled good enough.
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    I gotta try this. Those look amazing. I'd say you nailed it. 
    Dallas, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
    I just thought that I was "The Man".

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    Options
    @tulocay Yes, that's the best way I can describe these, brisket on a stick.

@Tinyfish No foil. The exact time will depend on thickness, cook temp, etc. You want to be able to probe the thickest part with no resistance.

@TN2TX - Yes, you need to try these. Very easy cook and the results are very good.

@SGH - Dude, I smoked a small slab of short ribs. You smoked heaps of venison to perfection. You are the man.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    DMW said:
    @SGH - Dude, I smoked a small slab of short ribs.

Brother those ribs look spectacular by any standard or measure. Awesome job.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Options
    @SGH - Thanks, I appreciate it.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Well, thanks a lot for making us all feel inadequate. I'll bet you still have beef juice running down your chin as I type. I know, jealousy will get me nowhere.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    That is absolutely gorgeous, I gotta find me some of those.  Where'd you find a slab of short ribs like that, do you ask for something in particular?  I've only seen and cooked the cutup ones.  

How do you like the Hasty Bake?  I've been using it and looking at getting some more from Amazon.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Outstanding! I love beef ribs but can never find ones that are meaty enough.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Stop it. Stop it....right when I decide to start eating healthier, you go and post something like that. Damn! How am I susposed to stay on a healthy diet?
    I'm going back and look at the salmon and ice fishing threads.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Awesome!  Damn, two of those bones probably have more meat than the two racks of canuck back ribs I cooked today!
    canuckland
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @TigerTony‌ there is a weight loss section of the forum. Just stay away from recent discussions. Btw, I was down 16#, joined the forum in October, gained 10. I'll join you on salmon and ice fishing and leave this scrumptious meal to @DMW‌
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    Those look unreal.  Question though…when you cook ribs low and slow like that, are you pulling at a specific temp or just whenever you feel they are done how you want?
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited January 2015
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    Stop it. Stop it....right when I decide to start eating healthier, you go and post something like that. Damn! How am I susposed to stay on a healthy diet? I'm going back and look at the salmon and ice fishing threads.

I'm with you Tony these guys make it hard to eat light. @dmw - the ribs look absolute killer,great job!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I just licked my iPad. I'm not proud of myself.

What model of iPad do you have? @DMW‌ pics looked so tasty, I thought I would try your idea. Didn't work though, I think I need to upgrade.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DMW
    Options
    @logchief - I got these at Restaurant Depot. They come 4 slabs to a cryovac pack. I repack them and Foodsaver and freeze. These are Plate Short Ribs (3 bones), Chuck Short (4 bones) are very similar.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/you-may-love-beef-short-ribs-pitmasters-dont

@noregard - You are looking for texture/tenderness as a finish indicator, usually around 195*-200* IT.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    those look incredible!!

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
     Nice job sir, those look fantastic!
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    DMW said:
    @logchief - I got these at Restaurant Depot. They come 4 slabs to a cryovac pack. I repack them and Foodsaver and freeze. These are Plate Short Ribs (3 bones), Chuck Short (4 bones) are very similar.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/you-may-love-beef-short-ribs-pitmasters-dont

@noregard - You are looking for texture/tenderness as a finish indicator, usually around 195*-200* IT.
    That's a good link with good links to the USDA classifications, thanks @DMW
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man those look awesome.  I would imagine 1 rib could feed my family. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    @logchief , thank you.
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • damnedhooligan
    Options
    @DMW , what an amazing job!!! My first and only time was a disaster but seeing this gives me encouragement to try again. Did it come with the thick membrane?? if yes, did you try to remove it?

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• DMW
    Options

@DMW , what an amazing job!!! My first and only time was a disaster but seeing this gives me encouragement to try again. Did it come with the thick membrane?? if yes, did you try to remove it?

Thanks. Yes there was a membrane, no I did not remove. The majority of the meat is above the bone, I slice through and then cut off. The first few times I pulled them off too soon and didn't let them get really happy. Just let them ride until they probe like butta all over. I have had some take 8 hours, just depends on cooking temps, size, etc. I think my XL egg takes longer to cook these than my smaller ceramic cookers. My theory is there is such a large gap from the food to the dome there isn't much radiant heat from the ceramic to help it along compared to the smaller ones.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Damn man those look good. I need to get to RD.