Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to big green egg!!

Options
Just got a large big green egg for Christmas and waiting to assemble when I have a table built. It should happen in about a week.... Any tips/plans on building a table?

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Just got a large big green egg for Christmas and waiting to assemble when I have a table built. It should happen in about a week.... Any tips/plans on building a table? 
    Welcome, congrats, carefully.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Welcome to the dark side never to return again! 

Just search tables on the Forum and Google too, You'll find lots of ideas! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Don't wait. I bought my XL 3 years ago and sat it on a wooden box on a paver while I built my table. It is still sitting on the box. I am too busy cooking. Have fun!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Welcome have fun cooking like they said look on youtube
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Welcome to the funny farm ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The companies version is on the website. Don't use cheap wood or other materials, it'll be carrying your baby.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Try the Nakedwhiz's website
    South SLO County
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:

Try the Nakedwhiz's website

+1. Lots of good ideas for little extras
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Welcome. As said above, put it together and cook! You can put in the table later.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Tip: Make sure to leave plenty of air gap around the egg. I will be taking both of my eggs out of my table and enlarging the holes to reduce the chance of my table catching on fire due to heat exposure. I want to have at least 1.5 inches of air around the egg at the table top. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Don't wait on a table to assemble and start egging. Wait for a table till you really know what you want. Do you need/want...
    storage
    hooks
    Covered area
    Type of frame
    Type of top
    These things will change over the first year. I know it's tough to wait but in the long run. ... I would also suggest non flammable materials.

Welcome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Welcome here, I'd fire that bad boy up and get grilling. Take your time on building something right away.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Pick up a used LBGE nest off craigslist if you can. Your table "wants" might take some time for discovery. In my mind, there's no reason to miss out on a week's worth of good eatin'!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Welcome, and Enjoy.   Did Pizza over the weekend... getting to be one of our favorite pizzas.  We have a very hard time finding a restaurant that is better than what we do at home. It is  a double-edged sword. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• newegger169
    Options
  • newegger169
    Options
    What is the secret on the pizza?!?!!!

onedbguru said:

Welcome, and Enjoy.   Did Pizza over the weekend... getting to be one of our favorite pizzas.  We have a very hard time finding a restaurant that is better than what we do at home. It is  a double-edged sword. 

• onedbguru
    edited January 2015
    Options
    We make our own dough - have not settled on the "best" dough recipe yet. The last one wasn't too bad - did a google search for semolina flour pizza dough and tried it... We make our own sauce with canned plum tomatoes  (cooked whole with garlic and olive oil and then crushed either with a potato masher or toss it in a food processor/blender - we like it a bit chunky, salt, pepper, italian seasoning, and if the tomatoes are overly acidic, maybe a teaspoon or two of sugar - DO NOT use too much sugar). 

Then your favorite toppings... I am a meatasaurus so pepperoni, sausage, ham, whatever. I typically will roll out the dough on the Reynolds brand parchment/foil (parchment one side, foil the other - foil side down)  Get the grill to >600-650  for at least 45 minutes before you want to cook.  It gets to the clear smoke and gets the stone up to temp.
    (plate-setter legs up, original grid, 3 firebricks, pizza stone)  Once I slide the pie onto the stove (with/on parchment) I let it cook for 3-4 minutes, then pull the parchment out so the pie is directly on the stone. Let it cook for another 2-3 minutes until the crust is golden and the toppings bubbly.  Mmmmmmmm GOOD!!!!

Our last pie, we used left-over horsderves with pancetta, sopressata and pepperoni - a Meat-Lovers dream :)

• newegger169
    Options
    Sounds awesome!! Thanks but what are the firebricks?
  • onedbguru
    Options
    They are typically used to line the inside of fireplaces or wood stoves. There were some left by the previous owner and they work perfect for high temp cooks.  You can find them at just about any home improvement store.  They are maybe 3x3x5 inches??