Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

APL Pork Butt

Options

Going to do a 9lb butt Adam Perry Lang style from his book "Serious BBQ". He apparently won the Grand Championship with this recipe so I'll see if the product is worth the work. It's a very fiddly recipe. All butts in the past have been rub, smoke, cook with excellent results. Wish me luck! I will post pics.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I am looking forward to seeing how your cook goes.  Lots of work so Good Luck!  

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    That looked wonderful, NDG. Glad it was worth the effort for you. I'm actually starting this tomorrow morning to be served NYE. I'll bring it back to life via sous vide. To be served on King's Hawaiian slider buns. BBQ beans from Serious Eats. Then pizzas for apres midnight munching. Stay tuned!
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good luck!  I have seen this recipe as well and thought about doing it one day.  There are many steps so let us know if it is worth it.  Honestly I think the rest in the cooler seems like an unnecessary step.  If you needed to FTC for timing reasons then it makes sense, but if I was ready to eat I would skip the cooler and just take it up to 200 then glaze it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Can't wait to see how this turns out.  I have the book and have started to do this one a couple times but wuss out because of time and steps.  Can't wait to see the outcome.  Thanks for sharing.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have made this one twice.  Turned out great both times.  For me, part of the fun is all of the APL prep and steps.  Have fun!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Options
    Been thinking of trying this myself. Any update?
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    WOW! It tastes wonderful and the final glaze is the key. I'll post pics in a couple of yours.
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    edited December 2014
    Options

Ok. Here are some very amateur shots. It was dark and I had another dinner to attend to as this was done in advance for tonight's NYE activities. Here the mustard wash and rub are applied. Messy but it seems to hold the rub nicely.

The patient has assumed the position. My new Chef Alarm taking its inaugural run:

First stop, 130 degrees IT where a generous application of apple juice/water is applied

In the mean time, Serious Eats' Best BBQ Beans are on the Weber. The name says it all, these are damn good beans. These took about 7hrs total.

After about 9hrs of cook time, it went off the Egg and into the cooler (FTC) for an hour then back onto the Egg to finish. I then applied the glaze (which includes apple jelly and micro-planed green apple). The recipe called for a single application of glaze but I did about four because it tasted so dang good.

Money shot.

Oh, off the subject but while this was going on, I whipped up Crab Louis (old school) with some Dungeoness Crabs from Costco. So much better than King Crab.

Here's my take on it all:

Is it worth the effort? Absolutely.

What makes this better? The final glaze. The sweet heat flavor coupled with the apple make it truly unique. I plan on using this glaze on other cuts of pork and maybe chicken too.

I'll serve this up tonight on King's Hawaiian buns. Plan is to use the Sous Vide to ensure the pork remains happy.

Thanks for looking!

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    I did not include pics of the foil step which certainly added to the moistness of the final product.
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Options
    Thanks. Looks amazing.
    Winnipeg, Canada