Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Confused on what to do........

Options

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    I was talking to the Lord. He said he thinks he can get me out of this but He says you're fu#$ed

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    I was talking to the Lord. He said he thinks he can get me out of this but He says you're fu#$ed

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options

Jacksonville FL
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    If I have this correct, your wife made the decision and bought you a BGE.She did it for a reason, because she wants you to have it and it makes her feel good giving it to you.  I've talked about one for a long time and just never got serious about it as much as I would like to have one.   This past summer my wife told me she was buying me an egg and to "be quiet and don't complain."  It made her happy to do so and is a gift I'll never forget.  I have the best wife in the world.  She loves the food and the egg is great addition to our home.   FWIW, she also bought me a new Vespa a few years ago also.  Enjoy your new egg.
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    Seems to me like you are f$&ked no matter what you do. You seem like a kind of guy who will sit and debate whether it was the right decision no matter which one you pick.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Sameydog
    Sameydog Posts: 154
    Options
    Use me for an example.

I thought I couldn't cook any better  than what I did without a BGE...but I was wrong.

Bill
    From the deep south...land of saltwater fish...west central Florida
  • heathen
    Options
    I think the real thing that's causing the problem deciding is, I got a ton if different grills that can handle anything I want to cook.

I got a Pellet Smoker, 2 Kettles, WSM, UDS, Gasser.

I guess I will take you guys advice and keep it. It's not that I don't want it, it's that I wasn't sure I wanted it now.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    That egg is in need of a good home
    Embrace and enjoy it. Or return it so someone one else can give it the love and attention it deserves.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• heathen
    Options
    Now for 2 questions,

1. Plate Setter won't be here for about a week and half. Is it OK to use without it?

2. Temp Guage was broken and had to order a new one. Is it safe to use without the Guage for a first time user? I do have a Maverick dual temp monitor I can use for grate heat monitoring if that will suffice to the new guage gets here.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Ok to use without platesetter. Also ok to use without gauge just wrap the leads with af so they don't get fried.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Use it for a year and you will more than likely be wanting to buy another than selling the one you have. My wife thought I was nuts spending this much on a charcoal grill, now she loves it as much as I do. I cook about half the time, her kitchen gets less messy, I grocery shop more, I plan entertaining meals more often, I cooks the appetizers when we get invited out to eat. I can easily see myself spatchcocking chickens into my 80's as long as the baby back ribs and pulled pork sandwiches don't kill me first! Thank your wife and then go have some fun!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    So what is the "other grill things" you want to spend money on instead? I as well as many have or had several ways to grill..(pellet, WSM, gasser- weber s670 yes its a $2700 grill on my back porch(or i gave it to my dad now) but the end of the day you need to quantify the needs to keep it. WE use the egg to bake, grill, sear, fry sometimes, smoke all the time. What do you want it for and why would you not want it.... if you can't pay your electric bill then thats one thing....but other then that, there isn't much of a reason to return.  we did stir fry tonight and my friends/fam said its the best stir fry they have had yet from anywhere..... it has that effect on your skills...i promise.
    Beaufort, SC
  • grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Options
    That's a generous gift to refuse.  Go for it.  You can't put a price tag on quality - and it was a gift.  Make her happy and light it up!!
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    between the egg and a thermapen also  using this forum has caused me to be a better cook in the kitchen and out.  this community has far more use outside of grilling butts. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    Wanted one but could not justify the price. Found some cash, bought it and have never been happier!! Just be ready for the family to give you grief about your new found obsession!!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    If you take it back, you'll never know the joy of the Egg and the taste
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • grill4us
    Options
    I didn't go the platesetter route.  I went with the adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store.  I can cook indirect and on several different levels.  You should check them out. ceramicgrillstore.com  If you call them they'll hook you up with exactly what you need based on what you want to mainly cook.  The AR rig is great and doesn't take up nearly as much storage space when not in use. 
  • heathen
    Options
    grill4us said:
    I didn't go the platesetter route.  I went with the adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store.  I can cook indirect and on several different levels.  You should check them out. ceramicgrillstore.com  If you call them they'll hook you up with exactly what you need based on what you want to mainly cook.  The AR rig is great and doesn't take up nearly as much storage space when not in use. 
    Thanks for that link, will check that out for sure. 

The dealer sold her kind of a package type deal and it was all at a substantial discount compared to the MSRP on just the cooker or I would ask if I could cancel the order and go with one of those. 
  • grill4us
    Options
    Wow - sounds like she's really taken care of you!!  
  • heathen
    Options
    grill4us said:
    Considering she got a car for Christmas, I might be getting the short end of the deal.  :))

But yes she done very well. Even better than when I went in about a few weeks ago and thought I was doing good!!! 

She got the XL, Nest, Plate Setter, Pizza Stone, Shovel thing for cleaning the ash out, 2 Bags of Lump, and bunch of the fire starter blocks for $1015 out the door. 
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    My wife bought me an XL about 21/2 years ago, I'm still thanking her and telling her how much I love my BGE. I am doing a lot of the cooking for the family now, we rarely go out to eat because what we can make on the BGE is better than we can get at most restaurants. I made a 15 lb. prime rib for the extended family this Christmas and it was a huge hit.

That was such a thoughtful gift from your wife. I understand the need to prioritize spending, but your new BGE and this forum will change the way you think about food. 

My humble advise - thank your wife (profusely), start reading and fire up that egg! 

and welcome to the club

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Life would suck if i didn't have my now two eggs...just saying...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    If you keep it, do you think you'll ever decide on what to cook on it?  That post was a little painful to read.  

You wanted it, she bought it for you.  Easy peezy.  Stop over thinking it.

And, congrats on the new BGE
    Phoenix 
  • 3GunFlyer
    Options
    An extravagance is something that is of no earthly value to your wife. Since she bought this for you, clearly this would classify as "necessity." Go forth and cook.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Cook on it... You and everyone else will be happier and probably healthier for it. Your circle of friends and admirers are bound increase... Not to mention it will up your cooking game, no matter the medium or vessel, at least 10 fold.

Light that lump and don't look back...
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited December 2014
    Options

I have an XL and use the platesetter.  @grill4us is in error about the Adjustable Rig for the XL in that using the AR does not exclude using the platesetter for the XL.  It does for other sized eggs, but not the XL.  I use my AR with my platesetter quite a bit.

EDIT:  BTW, you only go through life once so loosen up and have some fun, will ya?

Flint, Michigan
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    heathen said:

grill4us said:

Considering she got a car for Christmas, I might be getting the short end of the deal.  :))

But yes she done very well. Even better than when I went in about a few weeks ago and thought I was doing good!!! 

She got the XL, Nest, Plate Setter, Pizza Stone, Shovel thing for cleaning the ash out, 2 Bags of Lump, and bunch of the fire starter blocks for $1015 out the door. 

I had almost the same components minus pizza stone and only one bag of lump for $1665. You got one heck of a deal my friend. The XL a lone is around $1100 new. Enjoy it.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I've been cooking since I was a kid but never enjoyed cooking as much as I do now with the egg. Hopefully you will get as much enjoyment from the egg as I, and the rest of the fine folks on this forum, do.

Hijack: @Zmokin‌ -- friend you should tackle the pizza. Now that it's cold outside I've been doing cast iron pan pizzas every weekend and they are super easy and delicious.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I agree with @blind99‌, I am happier when I am coming on the egg. I haven't been able to for three weeks now, but plan to New Years Eve and am looking forward to it very much. My has noticed I have very happy since I got it. The Egg can be therapeutic.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.