Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Thermo

Options
Finding that I would like a larger dial on my Egg's thermo, I ordered the 3" from Smokeware.  It came in yesterday and looks awesome!  I immediately pulled the stock one out and was just about to slide in the smokeware when I remembered that I should check the calibration on it.  Off to the kitchen to boil some water!  The calibration on the smokeware was really close (only off by 10 degrees).  Since I was standing there with the stock one (and I had never calibrated it), I thought "what the heck" and checked it......WOW...almost 100 degrees off!  The moral of the story:  Calibrate your thermo's just like everybody here recommends....lol
XL BGE  -  Jackson, California

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I could be wrong, but I believe your report that your new SmokeWare 3" was off 10 degrees is the first one reported. Seems like all the rest of us found ours to be dead on. Glad you checked your other one too.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    I have one under the tree..I will open tomorrow and check and report back..Happy Christmas..

Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I've found that the stock one can be way off like that if you don't expose almost all the needle to the environment that you are trying to measure. For example, I will get a much lower reading if I pull the thermo more than 2/3 RD's out of the dome. I tried the wine cork trick, but that just gives me false readings.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • stonedog03
    Options
    RRP said:
    I could be wrong, but I believe your report that your new SmokeWare 3" was off 10 degrees is the first one reported. Seems like all the rest of us found ours to be dead on. Glad you checked your other one too.
    Yeah, I was really surprised after all the reports of them being dead on and really, 10 degrees isn't going to be a problem, but 100...that's a different story.
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

But can you re-calibrate it to the correct temp? I.E. adjust the gauge to read the correct temp?

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • stonedog03
    Options

But can you re-calibrate it to the correct temp? I.E. adjust the gauge to read the correct temp?

Easily!  Tasty Licks BBQ supply has a nice youtube video outlining the process: HERE
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

Great. Thanks Stonedog!

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I have one under the tree..I will open tomorrow and check and report back..Happy Christmas..

Just checked the calibration on my new Smokeware thermo, after doubting it yesterday..It was 10 degrees out on the low side..Corrected and back in the saddle. :-c
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • BeerNBBQ
    Options
    Mine was dead on right out of the box.
    Braselton, GA.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Guys, I was doing a clean burn on my egg so I removed my Smokeware thermometer. While i had it out, I decided to check the calibration (never did this when I purchased it). Turns out it was bang on 212F, not a degree off. After the clean burn, and on my way to re-install it, I dropped it on my patio. No visible damage, but thought maybe I should recheck the calibration. Turned the stove back on, and dipped in boiling water - WAYYYY off. read just over 300F. Does this surprise anyone? Is it possible that the impact threw it off that much? Also, I didn't even think you could calibrate a Smokeware thermometer, but it appears you can the same way you would the stock tel-tru one? 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)