Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday Afternoon Dogs and Jerky...and a crack...

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
So SWMBO was taking the older 2 to a movie this afternoon so I knew we needed something quick for lunch today. I checked the freezer this morning and pulled out some "Kunzler Super Jumbo Grill Franks". I haven't had a hot dog in awhile and figured that would work.

imageimage

Yep, that hit the spot, and 30 minutes from lighting the Small (MAPP torch w/propane) to plating.

They left, and I started cleaning out the XL to get ready to smoke some jerky I had curing since yesterday afternoon and look what I saw...

Hmm....is that what I think it is? Couldn't be, no way possible...

What??? Really??

Ahh...look what I found here...

Yeah, it's cracked the whole way through. I've been here before, I know the drill...

I have no idea when this happened, but I know I will be taken care of. Anyway, I carry on. Some leftover lump and some pecan wood.

I set this up and got my PartyQ to hold it at 165*. Once it was stable for awhile I loaded up 4 racks of jerky.

And now in the egg

Would this be easier with an Adjustable Rig? Yes...

Anyway, I'll let this run for a few hours. If the smoke is gone by then I'll let it finish in the egg, otherwise I'll pull it and finish in the dehydrator. 

My little guy is napping and I am watching football. Life is good...

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• That jerky looks spectacular.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Careful with the crack on a wood deck. From past experience if you kick the heat up the crack will widen. When my large was cracked at high temps you could see ash falling out but cold it was smaller than the crack in your picture.
  • DMW
    Lit said:
    Careful with the crack on a wood deck. From past experience if you kick the heat up the crack will widen. When my large was cracked at high temps you could see ash falling out but cold it was smaller than the crack in your picture.
    Yep, it won't be used for anything other than the jerky until I get it replaced.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sorry ....that sucks. In the future be careful using the word crack and jerky in the same title.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    Super Jumbo Franks? That must be one HUGE bun then!  :D

Hoagie roll :D

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    I love grilled hot dogs. They are actually one of my favorites. The grub looks fantastic my friend. I could go for 4 or 5 of them about know.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,552
    @DMW-give some thought to when you replace your base.  I had a similar deal with a LBGE the Fall of '13.  Filed the claim and the new base is still in the box.  Indicator was q' related liquid below the BGE.  Yup-not sweat.  But I must have accumulated enough gunk to self-seal and still going strong.  Low&Slow as well as hot&fast.  No wood within striking distance.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Having just got my egg I'm curious to learn about the warranty. Do u just go back to the dealer or does it have to be registered or anything special? I got mine from the main dealer in my area and we spoke nothing of warranty I just knew there was one.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,804
    That's going to make a big pile of jerky!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,552
    @tz666-I do know you have to "register your BGE" with the BGE headquarters.  Several years ago my dealer took care of it.  This past August I bought another BGE from the same dealer and was told to register it on-line.  I just tried two different browsers to get to the corporate web site-with no success.  But here's the link once it gets back to life:  http://www.biggreenegg.com Hope this helps.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have never registered any egg. I bought my XL from the tucker BGE store so they registered it for me but I still have the receipts for the others that's all you need.
  • I bought mine in tucker as well, but did register. I think the receipt is the key.
  • tz666 said:

Having just got my egg I'm curious to learn about the warranty. Do u just go back to the dealer or does it have to be registered or anything special? I got mine from the main dealer in my area and we spoke nothing of warranty I just knew there was one.

When mine cracked, I took pic and emailed them to my dealer. He sent me a new one. That simple.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • DMW
    And some wings.

No plated shots after the sauce set. Sorry, we were hungry...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Grub looks great! Problem with jerky is I can consume it quicker than I can produce it ;)
    Sorry bout the crack :-< That blows.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH said:

I love grilled hot dogs. They are actually one of my favorites. The grub looks fantastic my friend. I could go for 4 or 5 of them about know.

Everythings your favorite.

Little Rock, AR

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Those dogs look crazy delicious.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,458
    Bummer on the crack but all of your grub looks like you didn't miss a beat.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    That's the second crack. Any idea what caused this @DMW‌ ?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• I had my Med. fire ring crack twice and the fire box once in  1.5 years.  The dealer told me he had good and bad news.  Good news,  he got the new fire box and fire ring.  The bad news,  Corp. said that was the last replacement for me.  They said it was "user error".  They said  "I got it too hot too fast".   Anyone ever heard this?

NEPA, Med egg,
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    @DMW‌, Bittersweet post. Food is sweet :-bd crack is bitter :-q
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DMW
    Thanks everyone.

@grege345 - As to the cause of the cracks, not sure. I haven't even been taking the XL to high temps lately, it is mostly a L & S machine with just occasional grilling duties. So the only thing I can think of is a casting flaw or it was dropped somewhere along the way before installation. Once here it is barely moved.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sorry about your crack.  I'd chock it up to a bad casting.  Jerky looks great!
    I left it on for about 5 hours, had to refill the charcoal twice. There just isn't quite enough airflow in the egg, even with such a small firebox, to finish it. 
    The jerky that was along the outside in direct draft were done. I moved the rest to the dehydrator for about another 5 hours or so. I didn't get any 1:00AM pics, but here are some from this morning.

6 3/4 lbs of raw Sirloin Tip (weight after trimming and slicing) yielded about 2.5 lbs of jerky. I think next time I'll slice a bit thicker for a chewier texture. 

@NPHuskerFL - I know what you mean about eating it faster than you can make it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    I had my Med. fire ring crack twice and the fire box once in  1.5 years.  The dealer told me he had good and bad news.  Good news,  he got the new fire box and fire ring.  The bad news,  Corp. said that was the last replacement for me.  They said it was "user error".  They said  "I got it too hot too fast".   Anyone ever heard this?

@flyer_egger - That sounds bogus. Make sure your egg is registered and you have receipt in hand. Then find another dealer.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Solid days work and great looking grub..I know you will get the egg crack resolved..Happy Christmas to you and your family..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,772
    Nice looking grub and sorry about the crack.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Ok my egg is now registered

• That jerky looks outstanding.  Another resolution for me in 2015!  And good luck with your crack problem.
    It's a 302 thing . . .