Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza Partial Success

Options
Kinger
Kinger Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to those of you that offered advice. I am afraid that I was only a partial success however everything as usual was eaten.[p]Here is how it went down. Fire going with plate setter legs down BGE stone on top of plate setter. Fire does not want to get over 500 and I realize that between letting the fire get to burning clean and the small amount of charcoal it will not get hot enough. I add more charcoal and get the fire burning clean up to around 600. Put the first pizza on and let it cook for around 5 (was expecting 8 minutes)minutes and find that it looks really good on top but fairly scorched on bottom. I wiped the stone a bit with a damp rag and let the fire settle back down to 500 or so. Next pizza goes in and I cook for about 4 minutes and darned if this isn't scorched some too. I like the toppings fairly "done" so I need some advice on slowing the crust cook down. I had the bottom vent wide open and was controlling the temp from the daisy wheel. I did not have a problem with smokey taste at all other than the scorched parts on the bottom.[p]Crust from Publix size small their large is 16" and I decided several smalls were better
DSC02690.jpg[p]Pizza pre cook
DSC02693.jpg[p]Pizza post cook
DSC02694.jpg[p]Bottom of one Piece heavily scorched
DSC02697.jpg

Comments

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    JNK,
    600 degrees is a bit hot. I usually go for 450 to 500.

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    edbro,
    Well, having said that I just checked TNW's site and he recommends 600-650. So, I guess your temp is not the problem. I sure wish this forum allowed one to edit their posts.

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    edbro,
    I think 600 to 650 is too hot. I'm with you , I cook my pizzas at 500 to 550 for about 12 minutes. LOL,Tom

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    JNK,[p]Congrats on the attempt. Not prefect but definitely getting there.[p]You didn't describe your BGE setup. The best setup uses a pizza stone on top of another heat insulator like the plate setter. The fire puts out much heat and tends to overheat the pizza stone if it is not insulated for the fire by another object.[p]You need to cook a pie to make a perfect crust, then see how the toppings look. If the toppings aren't quite done raise the temp 25-50F and then reduce the cooking time a bit.[p]Spin