Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Merry Christmas - Happy Holidays- Etiquette ?

TigerTony
TigerTony Posts: 1,078
edited December 2014 in Off Topic
What do you think the correct etiquette is, when wishing someone "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" or  "Happy Hanukkah" etc......

Should it be the decision of  the one doing the greeting /wishing or should you take into consideration the religious background of the person you are addressing?

Example: You are Christian and you know that your neighbor is Jewish. Do you say, "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Hanukkah"?  

Then supposed you have no idea what their religious background is. Do you use the generic "Happy Holidays" greeting ?

believe it should be up to the person giving the greeting. The receiver of the greeting should accept the greeting out of respect for your religious background.

I don't want to live my life worried about if or who I might offend. As long as I'm being sincere, shouldn't it be their problem?

Merry Christmas!
"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
New Orleans

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Personally, I just tell everyone Merry Christmas.  If I offend someone, then oh well, sure it is not the first time. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    I don't intentionally want to offend anyone. However......I tend to agree, the greeting should be in the language of the one doing the greeting....

I am a "Merry Christmas" person, but if I know someone could be offended, I change to "Happy Holidays". 

I usually just don't even think about it, unless it is someone I know could be offended.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Not poking at the OP here at all, and I like to be considerate of people and their feelings, but sometimes people just want something to be offended by.  Let's face it, it is a kind gesture no matter what.  Just smile, thank them, and tell them the same, but in your own way if you like.  It sucks when you have to worry about offending someone when you're trying to be nice to someone.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    If I know someone is of a specific persuasion(like your example) I will wish them their persuasion-specific greeting. 

If I don't know, I say what I am celebrating. Merry Christmas or Blessed Yuletide/ Happy Winter Solstice if I'm being contrarian. I aim to please/annoy at an even clip.
    I like the Happy Winter Solstice idea. That has the most potential to confuse/offend.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Merry Christmas.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    edited December 2014
    Merry Chrismahanakwanzika \:D/

But in all reality, I always say Merry Christmas.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Merry Christmas.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • When I send work related emails/cards I say Happy Holidays which I thought kept me from offending anyone. However, apparently last year that offended a number of people when I didn't think say Christmas or kwanza or whatever their holiday of choice was. So this year I didn't bother sending work cards out. It's 2014 and political correctness is in overdrive.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited December 2014
    I generally say merry Christmas... Unless I know that they are Jewish.

I wouldn't be offended if someone said happy Hanukkah,Kwanzaa,Christmas or holidays to me. I celebrate Christmas for the family aspect, not the religious. And if someone gets offended by what I say then they obvious aren't meant to be an acquaintance of mine and they can just move on ;)
    Aurora,OH
    6 days and we all can air our grievances!
    Aurora,OH
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    :-\"
    Merry **** Christmas official video: http://youtu.be/Jfqyr3Ao-rQ
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    edited December 2014

Yeah - if somebody tells me that i've offended them, after wishing them a Merry Christmas - i'd simply apologize, explain that no harm was meant 'Merry Christmas" is, after all, a pleasant sentiment - whether you celebrate the holiday or not, and again, wish them a Merry Christmas.

It's not as if i'm saying "Merry Christmas! Terrible Chanukah!"

And as an aside: Merry Christmas to the entire BGE Forum population!

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Just looked at my calendar and it says December 25th is Christmas, then scrolled back to November and seen a day called Thanksgiving. After doing that, I looked up happy in my thesaurus and one of the matches was the word merry.

I don't get it. I don't think I've ever offended anybody by telling them Happy(merry) Thanksgiving, why would somebody get upset for telling them Merry(happy) Christmas. This seems odd to me.

I'm also a big fan of Happy Holidays because that translates to more than just one merry day.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    My girls piano teacher is a Jehovah's Witness.  Last night when she was leaving she said....."Happy winter break" and I returned with "Yea. Merry Christmas".  Wasn't quite sure how to respond but ya know, I'm quite tired of worrying about what other people think when it comes to everyday things like this.  Oh well.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I believe in Santa Claus, so I say "Merry Christmas."

Anyone that chooses to be offended by it, well that's their problem, they are the ones that decided to take offense, not me.

If someone says "Happy Hanukkah" to me, I don't get offended.

Although I do get a little perturbed by "Happy Holidays" because I despise political correctness effing up our society.  Just like those idiots that think Halloween should be moved to the weekend or not celebrated at all.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    Happy Whatever You Celebrate!

Politiquette Carelessness 
    :D
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Here in Utard, I stick by "Happy Kwanzaa".  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Botch said:
    Here in Utard, I stick by "Happy Kwanzaa".  
    And you're single. This guy is living the good life!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    "Merry Festivus" for the rest of us.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I usually say Happy Holidays because its more inclusive, and easier to keep track of.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506

My husband and I are Jewish. We are wished Merry Christmas a lot, we take it in the spirit intended and usually reply "Merry Christmas to you too".

If you asked my opinion i prefer Happy Holidays, because that is more inclusive. But really either way it does not matter. I think most people feel the same way. Others...well that is them.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    most people i know that celebrate hanukkah also have a tree and presents under it come xmas morning
    :D my jewish neighbor in maine has the biggest tree on the street and has already given my dog his christmas gift, a stuffed squeeky reindeer, reindeer guts are all over the house now
    :)) the anti saying merry christmas folks are all bullies
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Christmas and New Year's Day are holidays the other things, while important to some, are not holidays in my opinion. While becoming accomodating to all I think we've lost sight of who we are.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938

MJG said:
    Christmas and New Year's Day are holidays the other things, while important to some, are not holidays in my opinion. While becoming accomodating to all I think we've lost sight of who we are.
    Long live Christmas, Halloween, Easter, Thanksgiving & Independence Day, all of my favorite glutton worship holidays.  Oh, wait, and the un-offical king of gluttony "holidays", Superbowl Sunday.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    I work in retail and have used Happy Holidays for the longest time ever since I got cussed out for wishing a Jewish person Merry Christmas. People that wish me Merry Christmas I say the same in return. I think Merry
    Christmas should be a general greeting and not taken as a Christian holiday greeting and I'm Catholic. Some Others don't see it that way so I just greet them with a generic Happy Holidays.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN