Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BISON AIRLIGHTER - MAPP TORCH MADE A BABY WITH A LOOFTLIGHTER!

Options
ChicagoEgghead20
ChicagoEgghead20 Posts: 218
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
So my dealer showed me this torch the other day and said it's the latest and greatest for lighting the egg.  I've been having issues getting it lit quick in the cold windy Chicago weather so this enticed me.  Anyone used one? If this is the first time you've heard of it, check out the link below.

Comments

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I am not trying to slam that product, it is cool and handy..BUT, to me it has too many things to go wrong. You would be better off with an actual Mapp torch, it is durable, tanks last at least 4-8 months depending on use, and if you get about a fifty dollar model, it has a piezo igniter built in. I have had the same one for 8 years now, and I soldered copper with it for its first seven years.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Have y'all seen the FIAIR product?
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Have you tried a weedburner from Harbor Freight? Its hard to beat, for both price and functionality. Otherwise, MAPP torch gets my vote - no batteries, no cords, portable.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    My MAPP torch actually died this week. It actually still can be lit, but it has no force? And I have to use another lighter to light it. Really safe, I know. But my wife has a looftlighter under our tree for me so I'll give that a try. I've seen the bison before. Pretty cool.

XLBGE 
  • anton
    Options
    @MrCookingNurse, is the tank empty?
    :-j
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @caliking - I'll second that.  I got one of those ($17 after the 20% off coupon) a few months ago and it's a revelation.

@MrCookingNurse - There's a frit in those that acts like a flow regulator.  They get moisture and crap in them, I think mostly moisture.  Take the torch off the tank and put it in the oven at 170 for a few hours.  There's a 90% chance that will fix your pressure problem. 

I know this because I repaired lots of lab instruments back when I was a bench chemist and all the Agilent/HP regulators had them.  They could be a pain in the butt if you had wet gas.
    Wet gas is the worst.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌

Thanks man. Yea it's something like that. I left it outside on the egg table and its been acting up sense. I'll try that out and see what happens. I took apart what I could and it looked "clean" ish. And it still sparks when I click it but it won't light. So make sure and take the tank off before I bake it??

@anton‌
    Good call but no. I've tried a new tank

XLBGE 
  • anton
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yes, I have "fixed" mine before with a heat gun after I dropped it in a full tub of water that we were stack testing. And yes, remove the tank before you bake it or heat gun it!
    :D
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Wet gas is the worst.

I thought wet gas was called a Shart.

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    ^^^^caption: "I should have known better than ordering the Burger King Steak Tartar...."
    Options
    @ChicagoEgghead20‌, this thing looks cool. Seems more portable than a weed burner or looftlighter. I can't see spending $80.00, but I sure wouldn't send it back if I got it as a gift. Maybe somebody will chime in on the durability.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    I've been using my DIY Bison for a while, it's my go to method:
    Start sparks for each spot in 10-15 sec with butane torch originally bought for post sous vide sear, followed by gift Looftlighter from an eggfest sponsor.

canuckland
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    @ChicagoEgghead20‌, this thing looks cool. Seems more portable than a weed burner or looftlighter. I can't see spending $80.00, but I sure wouldn't send it back if I got it as a gift. Maybe somebody will chime in on the durability.
    Thats how I was feeling, its neat but might not be a solution for the long run
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Looks cool but all the recharging seems like a hassle. I'm sure my wife would be thrilled to find it on the counter charging! I've gone back to using my chimney starter and newspaper during the cold weather.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Just used my looft tonight for.first time...it's the shnizzle. .very cool and fast

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm with Fishless on this one. I have a ziplock full of paper towels soaked in generic veg oil. Less than a penny a piece. It would take 8,000 cooks to spend $80 on those :). Works like a champ too.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    My MAPP has lasted 12 months on one tank of gas. Not bad. Love it because it lights lump fast and can be used for shop duty as well.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    My MAPP has lasted 12 months on one tank of gas. Not bad. Love it because it lights lump fast and can be used for shop duty as well.

I light the paper towels with the MAPP :). Makes me feel like a badass.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX