Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ultimate Pizza Dough

edbro
edbro Posts: 300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Disclaimer: I haven't yet tried this recipe.[p]This site claims to host the ultimate pizza dough recipe. It is a bit different than other doughs in that it must be made at least the day before the bake. Supposedly, the perfection comes from "delayed fermentation". [p]Anybody tried this one yet, or heard of "delay-fermentation"? I plan on trying it this coming weekend.
[ul][li]101 Cookbooks - Best Pizza Dough Ever[/ul]

Comments

• BGEJeff
    BGEJeff Posts: 54
    edbro,
    No expert, but what wakes up the yeast if it is always cold?

• edbro
    BGEJeff,
    In step 4 it says to let it rest for 2 hours. Wouldn't that do it?[p]Like I said, I have not tried this yet. It just looks interesting because it is a different process.

• edbro,
    As I recall, Alton Brown also said to let the pizza dough sit in the fridge for 12 hours or something like that. See his episode Flat Is Beautiful. It was either 1 or 2.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BrianP
    BrianP Posts: 147
    edbro,
    I've done this before. The only difference is that I usually let it sit in the refrigerator for 8 hours or so. This way I can make the dough in the morning and make the pizza in the evening. The idea is that you want the dough to rise very slowly. If you let it rise at room temperature then it takes on a bread-like character which you don't want in a pizza dough. A slow rise leads to the pizza-dough consistency you're looking for. The regrigeration slows the yeast down, it doesn't kill it. I freeze my yeast so it stays fresh so the lower temps won't bother it.[p]good luck,[p]Brian

• edbro
    The Naked Whiz,
    I just checked it out but I didn't see where he advocated keeping it cold. He did say you could refrigerate unused portions though.[p]I'm impressed with your encyclopedic know of AB. You seem to be able to quote AB episodes the way my preacher quotes Bible passages. You must keep an index, which isn't a bad idea!

• edbro, check below for a link on more than you ever wanted to know about pizza....T

[ul][li]http://www.correllconcepts.com/Encyclopizza/_home_encyclopizza.htm[/ul]
  • edbro,
    He talked about the refrigerator thing on the show. Many of the recipes on foodtv.com don't contain all the wisdom from the show. Certain shows just stick in my mind. I hear voices, you know....
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • edbro,
    Actually, I just looked and here is what he says:[p]"Roll the pizza dough into a smooth ball on the countertop. Place into a stainless steel or glass bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the bowl and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 18 to 24 hours. "[p]TNW[p]

The Naked Whiz
  • edbro
    The Naked Whiz,
    You are absolutely correct. I read too fast. I am now even more in awe of your ability to reference AB on the spot!

• edbro,
    Well, having a web browser handy helps too![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • ajay
    ajay Posts: 47
    edbro, the recipe looks good and I may try it. For those of you who really want to get into the science and technique of pizza and dough making, read an excerpt from a web site I bumped into recently. Enough to make your head spin:[p]"To reach a high gluten level of 13.5% for 2 cups of flour (i.e., 240g or 8.43 oz), less the amount used for the additional vital gluten flour*: [p]- Add just under 1 TBL (3 tsp) of Giusto's 70% Vital Gluten or 2 1/2 tsp of Bob's Red Mill Vital Gluten to KA's All Purpose flour or Giusto's Baker's flour.  Start with 240g of flour, then reduce it by the amount of vital gluten added, enabling the entire mix to equal to 240g.  [p]- Add just over 1 tsp of Giusto's Vital Gluten or exactly 1 tsp of Bob's Red Mill Vital Gluten to either KA's Bread or Gold Medal Specialty Bread flour (5 lb yellow bag available just about anywhere).  Start with 240g of flour, then reduce it by the amount of vital gluten added, enabling the entire mix to equal to 240g.[p]Hence, if working with Gold Medal Specialty Bread flour or KA Bread flour & Bob's Red Mill Vital Gluten, start with 240g (or 8.43oz) of flour, reduce by 1 tsp, then add 1 tsp of Bob's Vital Gluten to reach an overall protein level of 13.5% protein and 240g of weight.[p]*I realize now that the calculation requires the final result to include the vital gluten as part of the final weight, which is 240g or 8.43 oz in this scenario."
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Well I guess this is old news, but this AB talk got me thinking about his blog which I think I heard of here several months back. Looks like he took it down. Lots of crazies on the Internet![p]http://www.altonbrown.com/pages/rants.html[p]Thursday, October 20, 2005 [p] [p]
    Some of you may have noticed that the “contact” button is gone from my web site and that my rant calling for refrigerator pics is gone. Here’s why: although many of you sent in some really nice pics and insightful, fun emails some of you decided to send vulgar, nasty, frightening messages and images. I always knew there was ugliness and meanness out there but you know what, I don’t have to give you a place to put it. So, the portal is closed and will remain so. If you harvested the address, don’t bother using it because it will simply dump your mail into oblivion. [p]I’m disappointed, upset, disillusioned, and upgrading my security system. To those who wanted to play nice, I sure am sorry but life’s just too short to drink poison.[p][p]posted by Alton
    3:45 PM

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    edbro,[p]I have not done this delayed trick with pizza, but I do it with ciabatta, Italian slipper bread. You make a thing called a biga or sponge a day or more before you actually make the dough. Let it sit in the fridge for a day, and then make the dough with it.[p]The long slow fermentation gives the bread a great yeasty taste -- sounds bad but it's good. Not as sour as sourdough, but it is just delicious bread.[p]Now I have to try this with pizza. Life is tough.

• edbro,[p]Our local pizzaria offered a class a few years ago which my son and I took. They leave their dough overnight as well. They have nifty pans they put each chunk of dough in. Anyway, my understanding from the class was that the resting was so that the dough would have the proper elasticity. I didn't think it was for fermentation, but possibly it's something to do with fermentation that makes it elastic. I'm not saavy to all the science behind it.[p]I have made his dough since and if I don't leave it overnight, I cannot stretch it properly. The flavor is the same but the texture is all wrong.[p]Gwen
  • CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    edbro,
    I have made batches of dough whereas I would use some quickly, put some of it in the freezer, and some in the refrig for 24 hrs +. I'm not able to see any difference between any of the three methods. My problem is that it's difficult to roll out, keeps 'sucking' back!! (Rubbery)

• CJ,[p]Let it rest for about 5-10 minutes and then you can finish with rolling out the dough.

• edbro,[p]Yep, I do that all of the time. I make my dough at least 24 hours before I make a pie. I use 3/4 High Gluten flour and 1/4 Semolina flour. The Semolina adds a nice texture to the dough.
  • CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    Old Dave,
    I've tried that with no success. I've read that over-kneading will make the dough tough and rubbery, but I use a mixer/dough hook and just knead until it comes away from the sides of the bowl which I guess it what your supposed to do. Any other thoughts? Thanks for your response.